Thoughts on the suggested 80mph

bearfraser
bearfraser Posts: 435
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Is the government off its trolley ? with its suggetion to increase the motoway and there fore the dualcarriage way speed limit to 80mph.(supposedley to speed up commerce) Surley the biggest increase will be in their coffers with the expenential rise in fuel use and therefore an increase in more monies for the government. And neve rmind the increase in carnage on cyclists (only if they increase the dualcarriage way speeds), its scary enough commuting for a few miles on 70 mph roads in the near dark/or dark.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I find that if you do 60-65mph (my preferred speed as a compormise on speed/fuel efficiency) on the motorway then the majority of cars flash past anyway. Hence, I don't think it will make much difference.
  • Hadn't heard of this, but it sounds like a good idea to me. 70mph isn't that quick these days. If you don't want to ride next to vehicles doing such speeds, find an alternative route. They're usually easy enough to find. Personally, I'd rather ride on a dual carriageway with cars doing 80mph than single carriageway with cars doing 60mph.
  • Why would it be off its trolley?

The 70mph limit was entirely arbitrary and introduced when the majority of cars could only just get to that speed, never mind the advances in tyres, brakes, safety etc.

The vast majority of people in this country tend to drive at whatever speed they feel comfortable with on motorways anyway - the normal maximum seeming to be around 85mph.

Two things come to mind here though;

Firstly, the Police will generally not stop you on a motorway if you're doing 80mph in appropriate conditions, and with appropriate driving - so it'll probably mean no change at all on this front.

Secondly, since the recession begun, and with the incredible rise in petrol and cost of living, I've noticed that typical motorway speeds are lower. I'm a sales rep, so spend a lot of time on the motorways. It used to be that the only people doing 60mph on a clear motorway were HGVs and Caravans. Then it became people with performance cars. Now it's just about everyone chugging along at 60-65.

In all, I doubt we'll see any real difference.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Doubt the change will make any real difference except when you get stuck behind the kind of person who sticks to the outside lane of the MWay doing 70mph and not moving over "because that is the limit".

I would prefer to see 80mph in the dry on clear days and 65mph in the rain, they operate this type in France and I understand that their road safety on Mways is better than ours.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Rather alarmist viewpoint from the OP.

However, if we're allowed to do 70mph and actually do 80mph, the same is likely to be true after the increase, i.e. we'll be happy to sit at 90mph.

Brakes, tyres and car safety have all imrproved but there are still plenty of poor drivers out there who haven't!

I do actually support the increase, as the 70mph limit is completely outdated now, but I think more stringent testing (and perhaps mandatory re-testing at certain ages/intervals) should be introduced.
  • One of the issues is that most cars are engineered to be economical at around 60 mph. I tend to not go over 70 now as the fuel usage ramps up considerably above this. If petrol was cheep I'd drive around alot faster on dual carriage ways when I considered it safe to do so.
  • It should be dropped to 60 on environmental grounds. Considerng traffic volumes I doubt many people would see a huge difference in their journey times.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Monkeypump wrote:

However, if we're allowed to do 70mph and actually do 80mph, the same is likely to be true after the increase, i.e. we'll be happy to sit at 90mph.

I think it'll make no difference - people are conditioned to 70-80mph. There will always be those who do a ton plus, and there will always be those who do 60mph.

Fuel consumption at 90mph is about half that of 60mph for a 'normal' car, so I wouldn't expect legions of drones in their boxes to do it for very long.

A happy consequence is that it might finally do something about the middle lane morons who insist on sitting there at 61.2mph in a vain and stupid effort to slow the flow of traffic down.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Aside from selling more petrol this has nothing to commend it at all. It won't really save many people much time in their journeys, it wastes fuel and increases danger. Speed isn't so much of a problem but speed differentials. If everyone, without exception, travelled at the same speed there would be hardly any crashes. However, they don't. Increasing the difference in speed between fastest and slowest drivers will cause more accidents.

As to the comments about people doing 80 anyway - that only works if you assume that if the limit is increased to 80, it will then be rigidly enforced so that people don't default to 90. Personally, I'd rather average about 70 with the odd variation faster and slower and not have to worry about getting done as soon as I stray over the limit.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't see the reason to change.

1. If its to boost efficiency of Mway driving salesmen - then why not make it 110 ? 80 isnt really significant.
    2. Fuel economy is worsened at those speeds.
    3. Cars may be able to cope with the speed but a lot of drivers cant cope with reaction times at 30 or 40mph let alone 80.
    4. Speed is a factor in many crashes - so higher speed = higher numbers of crashes surely - and less flow of traffic ?

If they do it - its only to pander to the whims of a vocal minority of motorists. And MPs that have been done for speeding.
  • Speed isn't so much of a problem but speed differentials
    +1

If you increase the speed of cars then you need to increase the speed of trunks - and that's a bad, bad thing!
  • It will mean faster times on dual carriageway time trials though :lol:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Wot Redhog says is right, the speed limit should dependant on the conditions

what about the minimum speed limit? it's set at 40mph at the moment which is currently too low, the motorways are safe because everyone goes the same speed, are the majority of motorists able to hold 80...

I wonder if there are any motorways in the UK that are empty enough for everyone to routinely do 80mph?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    IMO the only speed limits that need changed are the speed limit for unclassified and singletrack roads which should be more like ~40mph and a reduction from 30mph to 20mph in all built up areas. This would make roads a much more pleasant place for all the people not in a metal box.

FWI I find driving at ~60mph on the motorway much more relaxing and I can get a good 10mpg more compared to driving at ~80mph. Makes no difference to me if it was 80mph and I suspect those that speed will drive at the same speed regardless. The only times I ever see (almost) everyone sticking to the speed limit is when there are average speed camera sections (though there are plenty of muppets that don't seem to understand just how they work).
    More problems but still living....
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    amaferanga wrote:
    The only times I ever see (almost) everyone sticking to the speed limit is when there are average speed camera sections (though there are plenty of muppets that don't seem to understand just how they work).

I often see those cars fly past me and wonder if the driver knows something I don't (i.e. camera not switched on, etc.). I've not been brave/stupid enough to risk trying to find out though!
  • Depends what will happen if they do change it.

If they increase to 80 and everyone continues to drive as they do now then it's just legalised the speeds people already do. If the law change means people driving at 80 decide to drive at 90 then it will mean more pollution and accidents.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I remember reading somewhere that enforcing 70mph across all motorways, with average speed cameras on every stretch, would be one of the most efficient ways to reduce car-related pollution.
  • Monkeypump wrote:

Brakes, tyres and car safety have all imrproved but there are still plenty of poor drivers out there who haven't!

There's more congestion and unexpected traffic queues now. I've had my close encounters on the M6 before now.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited September 2011
    bearfraser wrote:
    Is the government off its trolley ? with its suggetion to increase the motoway and there fore the dualcarriage way speed limit to 80mph.(supposedley to speed up commerce) Surley the biggest increase will be in their coffers with the expenential rise in fuel use and therefore an increase in more monies for the government. And neve rmind the increase in carnage on cyclists (only if they increase the dualcarriage way speeds), its scary enough commuting for a few miles on 70 mph roads in the near dark/or dark.
    Point of order. The proposal is to raise the m/way limit to 80. Dual c/ways would remain at 70. And the new limit would be more strictly enforced. Apparently.

It's a good idea. The de-facto limit is already 80 (70 + 10% + 2) in 'normal' conditions so what this proposal does is to allow something that happens anyway in perfect safety to continue to happen without he threat of a fine + conviction. The 'normal' speed wouldn't be 90 as most people - as stated - are happy to travel at speeds up to around 80; much above does feel fast. 80 doesn't these days.

When it comes in, I'll keep off the M40 if I'm out on the bike. Sounds fair.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Only found this story on the daily mail website which means It's probably utter horse doo. I'd rather stick spokes in my eyes than believe anything the daily pap sprawls over its dirty columns.
  • Monkeypump wrote:

^^^
    This for me.

Poor motorway drivers that 'Weave' will cause more peril.
  • Monkeypump wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    The only times I ever see (almost) everyone sticking to the speed limit is when there are average speed camera sections (though there are plenty of muppets that don't seem to understand just how they work).

I often see those cars fly past me and wonder if the driver knows something I don't (i.e. camera not switched on, etc.). I've not been brave/stupid enough to risk trying to find out though!

The "limits" on these are set really high - an average speed camera section of,say, 40mph will not trigger until something in excess of 55mph (though don't come looking for me if I'm wrong)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why would they do that then ? Isnt it usually for safety of road workers ? Who wants to be around with cars hurtling past that fast ?

Lower limit settings means slower for the workforce so safer and also more revenue from the law breakers ? Win -win ?
  • cougie wrote:
    Why would they do that then ? Isnt it usually for safety of road workers ? Who wants to be around with cars hurtling past that fast ?

No idea - but my own experience in the average speed sections through the M80 roadworks bears out what I've been told. Those people hustling by are those "professional" drivers who know about such things.

As for your last question, aren't most of us about with cars hurtling past that fast when we're on our bikes?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    ....Those people hustling by are those "professional" drivers who know about such things.

Fair enough, but I was referring to the folk that speed up between cameras then slow down again at the cameras.
    More problems but still living....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I like those average speed cameras. I was held up on the A14 the other day, so when traffic started moving again I had to drive at 140mph to get back to an average of 70!
  • amaferanga wrote:
    ....Those people hustling by are those "professional" drivers who know about such things.

Fair enough, but I was referring to the folk that speed up between cameras then slow down again at the cameras.

Yup - they're daft - unless they think they've exceeded the average they were targeting.

TBH it's the only time I use cruise control - target the speed everyone else is doing. I find it much harder to stay engaged in my driving when I'm going what I think is "too slow" though and normally I'm a very engaged/aware driver.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Can't see how it would help 'commerce', reps could just pick up a phone for repeat orders or query answers thereby leaving only prearranged new customers to do face to face. = get organised not drive faster.

Company execs./ staff could 'meet' via video conferencing - save on all those expense claims,

That will just leave deliveries which apart from train cannot be done any other way, and the trucks are limited to 60 at the moment with no thought to increasing that.

Only reason now left is as others have said is revenue income from petrol/diesel and we are supposed to be running out of these aren't we?
  • If the idea is to raise the limit to 80 but actually enforce it then I can't see what difference it will make although it might play well politically with some voters. Once the limit is 80 i can't see them actually enforcing that though - the de facto limit is more likely to become something like 90.

Personally apart from the environmental argument I wouldn't have a problem - especially if they introduced lower speed limits for wet weather as they do in france - I wouldn't fancy driving nose to tail at 80 on a wet rush hour. I tend to spend most of my time at 60-65 anyway - more relaxing especially in a car like mine.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • motorway speeds upto 80mph, normal road up 5mph then cameras EVERYWHERE! :twisted: