Sofa not so Good

Richie63
Richie63 Posts: 2,132
edited September 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Had a bit of a 'stop me in my tracks moment today'

Was off to John lewis to pick up a new jacket and the missus says " you can see the new sofa that we're getting" , she's redecorating at the mo. Anyway she tells me the model name Drummond ,for those who are interested and so I go to look.

Sitting on said sofa and looking at the price I say on the phone " What else is she planning to get for the room", as I think she's blown the budget and the room will look bare with only this sofa in.

"Oh No" she replies we're getting TWO!!!!

I then have minor fit - but do keep it under control .

The price of a small car/ decent high end bike. Insted of something DFS ( there are others ) are knocking out and I don't have to pay til 2015 .

It's troubling me
I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    who's paying for them?
  • Welcome to women, they spend your money easily. My wife did exactly the same thing when I gave her some cash to redecorate her office in our apartment, came back with 2 things from a high end store when I sent her off to buy 10 things from the decent priced store.
  • Richie63
    Well It doesn't really matter when you both share .The shocking thing was the price and the lack of looking around to see what else was out there. Just the I like that we'll have TWO.

But to be honest It's her decoration so what she wants goes
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Surely this is simply a hint that you deserve two high end bikes? Trust me, she is hardly going to come out and say it - but this is as close to a green light as you will ever get. :lol:
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    You must be old enough to know that if its got tits or wheels, it'll cost you a fortune. Like you, I've got both types so we're f****d :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    You have tits? :shock:

And can't you offer just to sit on a crate on one side of the room so you only need to buy one sofa?
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • This is deffo one of those moments where you will earn credit in the bank for the next time you want to blow a load of cash on a high end bike.

Just go with it
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Sounds to me like he might have blown a load of cash on high end bikes, and now it's time for her to get him back.

Welcome to relationships.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Am I right in thinking your getting two of these?

http://www.johnlewis.com/228969/Product.aspx

It looks like a chesterfield rip off to me thats had the price bumped up because the ass resting area has been elongated. http://www.distinctivechesterfields.com ... sofas.html
    http://www.chesterfields.info/acatalog/ ... uites.html

Do you live the Army Sgt's or officers Mess? Maybe a 16th century mansion? It could just be me but I can't see these type of sofas suiting any other type of building.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • burn it as soon as it it delivered :twisted: :evil:
    hates dog walkers
  • sheepsteeth
    Richie63 wrote:
    Well It doesn't really matter when you both share .The shocking thing was the price and the lack of looking around to see what else was out there. Just the I like that we'll have TWO.

But to be honest It's her decoration so what she wants goes

well all's well that ends well eh!

you cant give her access to your money and then complain when she spends it.

to be fair, last time we had new furniture, the wife RE bought it, (i do think women are better at this kind of thing!) but she used her money so i wasnt bothered.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    At least its leather so at least its a "wipe clean sponk free" covering...as for DFS I wouldn't by any shite from their as my dad says it stands for "Dodgy F*cking Sofa's" not quite sure he speaks the truth though...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    At least its leather so at least its a "wipe clean sponk free" covering...as for DFS I wouldn't by any shite from their as my dad says it stands for "Dodgy F*cking Sofa's" not quite sure he speaks the truth though...

Didn't they do a documentry on DFS (maybe some other sofa company) where loadsa people got rashes etc cos the sofa's were infested or something?
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Richie63
    Her money, My money it doesn't matter about where it comes from I think I'm more shocked at the not bothering to look around to see what else is available for that type of cash. I'm sure for a little bit of research we could get pretty much the same thing for a substantial saving on what we're going to spend on these items.
  • Pudseyp wrote:

Didn't they do a documentry on DFS (maybe some other sofa company) where loadsa people got rashes etc cos the sofa's were infested or something?

I think that was an Argos Sofa (but not 100% sure)

I'd never buy another DFS sofa as the one I have is falling apart after a mere 6 years!
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Pudseyp wrote:

I think that was an Argos Sofa (but not 100% sure)

I'd never buy another DFS sofa as the one I have is falling apart after a mere 6 years!

Thats why is free for a year and then 5 years free credit....as by the end of the agreement it's usually fooked and you have to buy new ones....! I have a couple of leather sofa's from John Lewis, had them for four years and still look like new with no sagging..unlike my balls and belly.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Why the f**k do you need 2 sofas? Stupid! Any way, if it's your money and you can't afford it tell her and cancel it, if it's her money then let it be, but why spend all your money on sofas when it could be spent on bikes or decorating other rooms.
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    When you say you're getting them, are they bought and paid for?

Perhaps if not a little time on researching might save you a few bob, my missus is the same she might look around to save some dosh but not that much if at all so always ends up me doing a good google to see.
  • but why spend all your money on sofas when it could be spent on bikes or decorating other rooms.

Because that's what she wants, same way my other half spent far too much on a smeg fridge. But I don't moan about her spending money and she never says anything about me spending money on bike stuff. The problem's with the lack of consultation.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Richie63
    but why spend all your money on sofas when it could be spent on bikes or decorating other rooms.

Because that's what she wants, same way my other half spent far too much on a smeg fridge. But I don't moan about her spending money and she never says anything about me spending money on bike stuff. The problem's with the lack of consultation.

Bob on with that matey Its working away that does it. Unluckily for me I'm away again on Monday for 3 weeks so it'll all happen when I'm gone,

As for needing 2 sofas well they fit in the room and if you've got friends around the they can all park their ar5e5 :)
  • Why the f**k do you need 2 sofas? Stupid!

This may be a tough concept, but some times, other people may come round to his house, and have a need to sit down. (heres the tough bit) These people are called 'Friends', you may have heard of them, but not yet experienced what it is like to have them (in the real world anyway). This means seating for more than the 2 people (possibly more if kids are involved, but id guess not given the willingness of the boss to spend lots of cash on things that said kids are likely to destroy) that live in the house must be provided. Hence the need for 2 sofas, Stupid.

My advice, a happy woman equals a peaceful life, and you never know they might be mega comfy, and think of the fun you'll have making your own personalised, tailored for you, ass grove :D

if the above doesnt happen, you know the drill. D-lock, ditch, head, backwards........
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That is an absolutely disgusting item of furniture.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Why the f**k do you need 2 sofas? Stupid!

This may be a tough concept, but some times, other people may come round to his house, and have a need to sit down. (heres the tough bit) These people are called 'Friends', you may have heard of them, but not yet experienced what it is like to have them (in the real world anyway). This means seating for more than the 2 people (possibly more if kids are involved, but id guess not given the willingness of the boss to spend lots of cash on things that said kids are likely to destroy) that live in the house must be provided. Hence the need for 2 sofas, Stupid.

My advice, a happy woman equals a peaceful life, and you never know they might be mega comfy, and think of the fun you'll have making your own personalised, tailored for you, ass grove :D

if the above doesnt happen, you know the drill. D-lock, ditch, head, backwards........
    post of the week
  • Pudseyp wrote:

Infested with poverty and social underclass.

Sofas are like beds; Spend whatever it takes to get a good one or you'll be buying a new one in less than half the time.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Why the f**k do you need 2 sofas? Stupid! .

because some people actually have friends that come around their houses to visit and would like somewhere to sit......but you don't know about such things :P
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    The problem i have is that i earn a considerable amount more than missk and its alright when i am spending dollar on meals/days out but when i want to buy something for myself i get the;

"shouldn't you save for it and get it in a few months" :shock:

when we moved in to our place we were given £500 quid by my rental units, this managed to buy us
    1 two seater, oak framed, leather sofa
    1 habitat 2 seater with a new set of covers
    1 massive pine kitchen table, two matching benches and two end chairs
    1 super kingsize bed.

i will never spend money on a new sofa, from someone like DFS or John Lewis, but i may one day spend cash on one of these;

http://www.sofaworkshop.com/sofa/robertson

fookin' well comfy and the perfect size for a hangover day in front of the F1/cycling/football.......(insert sport)....

plus 10 year Guarantee!
  • You should have said, I've got two sofas in my garage after we just had our new set delivered.. besides, chairs and foot rest is where it's at, all you need is a glass of fine single malt and the latest MTB mag and it's selfish heaven (although I do have one sofa for my friends).

Mind you, I've just been through the entire 16 pages of John Lewis sofas on offer. didn't like any!

DFS sale items.. nah!
  • sheepsteeth
    kaiser83 wrote:
    The problem i have is that i earn a considerable amount more than missk and its alright when i am spending dollar on meals/days out but when i want to buy something for myself i get the;

!

i would beat my wife until i couldnt lift my hands if she second guessed any of my spending.

i wonder if im in a minority of people who have separate monies from their other halves? any of my mates who are married all share their money (by share, i mean they give their money to their wives and if they are lucky, they get some back from them if they are good)

wife RE is very generous with her money and i am always very generous with mine, but our money is our own.
  • kaiser83 wrote:

!

i would beat my wife until i couldnt lift my hands if she second guessed any of my spending.

i wonder if im in a minority of people who have separate monies from their other halves? any of my mates who are married all share their money (by share, i mean they give their money to their wives and if they are lucky, they get some back from them if they are good)

wife RE is very generous with her money and i am always very generous with mine, but our money is our own.

The wife and I share our cash but we've had a bit of a role reversal. In Scotland, I controlled the lot; budgeting and bill paying. In Uruguay, it's the total opposite. If I need/want anything then I just tell her. It's a far easier life just leaving her to get on with stuff.

I can see the advantage to your way though.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    this is something i have thought about and i think once we are both on the same page with debts, ie zero then it will be different i think.

do you split your mortgage and bills etc evenly?

we half all the bills and i pay slightly more rent as i earn proportionally more, which means we can have a nicer place than if i just paid the same missk does.

she is trying to get me to be a little bit more responsible as if i did save for things i would probably have never got in to debt to level i did. its a mentality thing, i want so i get. i dont think she will ever control my money and we have discussed that if i ca buy whatever i want as long as it doesnt affect me and her, or our kids when we have 'em.

fair really