Enough's enough!! Help me get up hills!

CharlieH
CharlieH Posts: 410
edited November 2011 in Health, fitness & training
I've been mountain biking, on and off, since 2003 and I SUCK on uphills. Every ride I do I get left by everyone I go out with and it's getting embarrassing. Last Sunday I did Gisburn red (5th time this summer) and on every climb I get left behind.
Now I'm used to being overtaken by younger riders (I'm 41), the odd family BUT on Sunday I was passed by a group of guys, all on full downhill rigs, wearing body armour and I was on a 27lb 120mm full susser.

I have decided I really need to work on my leg strength but not sure the best way to go about it so I thought I'd seek out any tips/plans any of you folks might have used in the past.

Just for info:
I work from home and run my own business so no chance for commuting or gym time

I have a family so getting away for long rides are hard to fit in. I can fit in around 3 shorter rides a week (half-1 hour) and maybe a a longer ride every other Sunday

I have a hardtail and full suss so I presume using the HT would be better for training purposes

I'm thinking timing the shorter rides (which includes 2 long road climbs) and going flat out on these rides and then keeping the Sunday ride for endurance/fun purposes

Do you think this will make much difference or does anyone think I should be doing things differently?

Comments

• altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    Ive had same problem(im 40),and when ive asked the question with people i go out riding with,and asked on forums i near enough get the same answer.......find a hill/mountain and ride up and down it,gradually riding up/down it more and more,maybe try this during the week when you have the spare hour.

I took all the above in,and paid no attention to it,but thankfully ive got riding buddies who wait at the top for me :lol:
  • The folks I go out with don't seem to mind too much. At least I can hold my head up on the downhills :)

I've just sorted a short loop that includes several good climbs so will just have to keep going at it and see if that helps
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    i know how you feel tho,it does hit the self esteem a bit,ive started running again,as some of the peeps i go out riding with are runners,and seem to have good cardiovascular due to this,so im going down that road during the winter as getting out to ride is sometimes hard during the winter months...best of luck on youre short loop :)
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Buy a spin bike for the house mate. MUCH better than an exercise bike. Climb, climb and climb some more. You can't get to the gym, commute, but you are at home so have time and availability.
  • Running is out of the question as me knees won't take the pounding after years of Thai boxing in my youth. That's one of the reasons I took up biking in the first place.

I'd also rather base any hill training on actual riding as I think I'd be strung up for spending more money on biking (just bought new wheels and have a baby on the way in 5 weeks)

Just thought I might get some "session" ideas to help build my hill climbing
  • I'm afraid 1/2 - 1 hour 3 times a week and a long ride every other Sunday just aint enough mate. You need far more than that to build up the cardio v fitness needed.
    Just get out and enjoy your riding,
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Why cant you commute? Just get up an hour earlier, go riding and then start work.

Buy a road bike, go out and hammer the hills. Its more convenient than an mtb as you can go straight from your door.

How heavy are you? Weight makes the most difference on climbs.
  • I had a 1 hour route that involved 45 minutes of hill to start, I try and do it at least 3 times a week and I've got it down to 30 minutes of uphill now.
    I found that timing myself really helped me shave off some time on each ride. Although I've just had 3 weeks off so I think I'll be a bit slower when I get out today :(
  • styxd wrote:
    Why cant you commute? Just get up an hour earlier, go riding and then start work.

Buy a road bike, go out and hammer the hills. Its more convenient than an mtb as you can go straight from your door.

How heavy are you? Weight makes the most difference on climbs.

My wife just laughed out loud when I read that reply as I'm the worlds worst person for getting out of bed in the morning :) I also have a young family so have to help with things like breakfast, dressing, school runs etc.

I would love to get a road bike but as I said earlier, my wife would kill me if I bought another bike, we just don't have the money for that :(
  • styxd
    You've only got yourself to blame then. If you want to get quicker up the hills, make some time to ride your bike. Otherwise, be slow forever!
  • Pmsl :)

Weight wise, I'm usually between 11.5/12 stone and 5'8" so not too overweight

I'm just heading to the bank but decided to go by bike rather than drive from now on. Hopefully that will help a little. I know I'll never be the first to the top but it would be nice not to be the last! At least I can hold my head up on the downhills, I'm usually the first one down :)
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    edited September 2011
    Here are a couple of things that helped me (disclaimer: doesn't mean they are right or will help anybody else), I'm no hill climbing expert but I have gone from dragging along at the back to keeping up at the front.

Breathing: While do you find yourself gasping for air or breathing quickly? In which case you might be breathing too shallow (from the chest) you have to train yourself to breathe from the stomach, long slow intake of breath are far better the short, quick breaths. Whilst doing you normal day job just concentrate on taking long slow breaths feeling your diapham pulling down, it soon becomes more natural.

Weight: OK touchy subject, but if you're carrying a few pounds extra, losing them equates to free strength. You muscles have been carrying the weight around but now it's gone so you've got more power to put through the pedals.

Gearing: On hitting a climb do you instantly go for the granny ring? It may be easy to pedal but you won't get anywhere fast. Try keeping it in the middle ring for as long as possible, it may be a little more effort but it will be faster and it will help build up more strength. On climbs such Whites at Afan I never use the granny ring now.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Why not get some slicks off ebay for £15 quid posted? I did a 50 mile road ride the other week on my full sus with some of these. Excellent for training 8)
  • styxd
    Well if you havent got time to ride lots, the best thing sounds like it would be sorting your diet out. Lose 1 to 2 stone and be instantly quicker up the hills without having to put in the effort!
  • When I hit hills it's not my cv system that struggles (well ok it does but not majorly and I recover quickly), I can find my rhythm and make most climbs ok but it feels like I can't get enough power through the pedals. My riding buddy has said that I AM actually much better at hills than I was last year (done much more riding this year) but I think half the problem is I'm always out with the same people so I don't see this improvement. I think timing/sessioning the same ride each week would at least give me a reference to work against.

I read a great quote last week, I think from a pro rider who said
    "Cycling never gets easier, you just get faster"

I've just got back from doing the banking and I wanted to stay out all day, the weather is gorgeous :)
  • Hill reps are the answer you need a local hill that you find testing.

Then climb the hill roll to the bottom wait a little bit (normaly i leave it a minute or two) then climb again.

Try to climb the hill five times and for leg strenth push a high gear, if you use the right hill and gear combo on the last rep you should just be able to get to the top.

Hills reps are very demanding on your body and i would recommend every other week until you get used to the effort then no more than once a week.

I would pick a road climb and one that is a bit sheltered so the wind wont have too much influence this will help in gauging your progress.

Dan
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    There a three simple-ish ways to improve your climbing ability.

1. lose weight.
    2. Increase anaerobic efficciencey and lactitc processing speed, you do this generally by either doing hill reps or specific intervals, in your case the former is likely to be easier and more fun.
    3. Increase aerobic capacity, you do this (yep you guessed it) by riding more.
  • lastwords wrote:
    Hill reps are the answer you need a local hill that you find testing.

Then climb the hill roll to the bottom wait a little bit (normaly i leave it a minute or two) then climb again.

Try to climb the hill five times and for leg strenth push a high gear, if you use the right hill and gear combo on the last rep you should just be able to get to the top.

Hills reps are very demanding on your body and i would recommend every other week until you get used to the effort then no more than once a week.

I would pick a road climb and one that is a bit sheltered so the wind wont have too much influence this will help in gauging your progress.

Dan

That sounds like the sort of thing I want to try. I do tend to be an easy gear spinner on hills and there are some good hilly spots near my home to try this out on. I'm also going to time each climb to keep a track of any improvement.

As for losing weight, I wouldn't say I'm that big, I have a 32" waist. Ive never had a whippet built and I have actually lost just under 3 stone in 5 years. I actually got down to 10.5 stone last year and never felt any faster on the hills (plus my wife hated the fact I looked "ill") I've settled around 11.5 now and feel much happier
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    CharlieH wrote:
    I've been mountain biking, on and off, since 2003 and I SUCK on uphills. ?
    Just ride up hill more, and push yourself when doing so. It's not black magic. And it's certainly not brain surgery.
  • CharlieH wrote:
    I've been mountain biking, on and off, since 2003 and I SUCK on uphills. ?
    Just ride up hill more, and push yourself when doing so. It's not black magic. And it's certainly not brain surgery.

I do wonder if there is some mystical forces at work, holding me back. It got quite embarrasing when my 5'2" wife, who hadn't been cycling for 13 years, wooped my ass on the first fireroad climb at Glentress, on her cheap halfords Carrera :roll:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Fair play to your wife :lol:

And for what it's worth, I have found that the only way to get better at riding up hills is by riding up hills :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    I'm in a similar position to yourself.
    I have for the last couple of years,MTB in the winter and roadie in the summer.
    I don't want to be out for hours so during the week I have certain routes,all uphill which take me between 50 mins to 1:30 and it's three times a week.
    I try to remember the garmin as I constantly try to beat the last time.
    Come the sportive season in the spring I tend to be not far off.
    I've also put semi slicks on my hard tail.

If your only out for an hour you have to make it count.
  • CharlieH wrote:
    lastwords wrote:
    Hill reps are the answer you need a local hill that you find testing.

Dan

That sounds like the sort of thing I want to try. I do tend to be an easy gear spinner on hills and there are some good hilly spots near my home to try this out on. I'm also going to time each climb to keep a track of any improvement.

As for losing weight, I wouldn't say I'm that big, I have a 32" waist. Ive never had a whippet built and I have actually lost just under 3 stone in 5 years. I actually got down to 10.5 stone last year and never felt any faster on the hills (plus my wife hated the fact I looked "ill") I've settled around 11.5 now and feel much happier

Personally i wouldn't time each climb just test yourself every now and then on the hill when you have fresh legs.

With regards to gearing, you want to be at the point where if you changed to one cog smaller on the rear cassette you would need to stand, no doubt every now and then you will have to stand to keep the pace, pushing a hard gear will make your legs stronger.

Spinning an easy gear will improve your cardio.

This is what works for me but i suppose everbody is different.

Dan
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I aim for around 75-80rpm while cycling uphill and just progressively speed up my times on my circuit.

However you need a good cycle comp for that, but it certainly helps you see you're gains and I'd thoroughly recommend ;)
  • Cheers for all the advice. I've been out 4 times since posting (had a rest day today) and I've knocked around 20 seconds off each lap so far. Not amazing but I don't expect miracles. Ironically I did 3 loops on the HT and one on my full susser. I was actually 1 minute quicker on the full suss than on any of my HT loops?

Problem I have now is my wife is showing symptoms of early labour so I can't really go for any long rides for the time being
  • I find its all about the pain barrier. Find a hill. A real bit*c! of hill, on or off road. The steeper the hill the better. If it just takes 10 minutes it cool. Practice on the one hill. Then when your out with your mates, just imagine your on that hill. Your in pain...but you know you can get to the top cause you do this massive hill 3 times a week. It's all in the head I swear. When you get to the top of that hill. get your breath back and ready for the next one.
  • I found the perfect hill for some hill climb repeats the other day near me. About 1 minute long and decently steep, and i've practiced sprints up it. My knee still isn't up to scratch after an injury, but I was doing well enough to keep going. Managed a few sprints up the hill before I said to myself I need to actually get home too, so made it on my way. Good way to boost cardio strength as well.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I've been out around 6 times in the last week and a half, just plugging away at the hills! Yesterday I did a ride in Ilkley with a very long, very steep climb that I have never managed to even get half way up. I stuck it in the granny ring, got my head down and just kept at it. I managed to get all the way to the top without getting off, that was the first time ever.

I was seeing stars for about 5 mins but I was over the moon I'd made it.

One thing I did realise, after reading a thread in the road section, was I have my saddle quite forward and that by shifting back a bit, my quads came in to play a bit more. I have a slightly short reach so I tend to have my saddle more forward but this may not be helping on the climbs
  • It really comes down to a question of fitness, as some people have said already, you need to ride more to get fitter. And rather than going out and smashing the hills you need to build a bit of an aerobic base, could you get a 90 minute (non stop) steady ride done 4 times a week on the road? Try this for 8 weeks, reduce your calories slightly to drop a bit of weight and I almost guarantee you will be faster up the hills. I suppose it comes down to the time you have, if you can't ride any more your not going to get fitter...........sorry, but that's how it works with fitness.
  • It really comes down to a question of fitness, as some people have said already, you need to ride more to get fitter. And rather than going out and smashing the hills you need to build a bit of an aerobic base, could you get a 90 minute (non stop) steady ride done 4 times a week on the road? Try this for 8 weeks, reduce your calories slightly to drop a bit of weight and I almost guarantee you will be faster up the hills. I suppose it comes down to the time you have, if you can't ride any more your not going to get fitter...........sorry, but that's how it works with fitness.