Thinking of purchasing the CAAD10?

2»

Comments

• Sorry I've been corrected by a friend about the recommended store in Bournemouth, not cycle scene. It's "ride".

Sorry
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Hi Guys,

Definetely getting the CAAD10 Ultegra, around the 2nd week in December. However, will have to sell my Trek 2.5 to fund some of it, so keep an eye out for it if you fancy a bargain in the classifieds :wink:

However, one question, well a few actually:-

Will it climb as comfortably as my Trek 2.5? The Trek is really comfortable out of the saddle, it just feels nice...

I've got the 58 Trek, however everybody said i was a 56 until i was professionally measured on a jig, due to having a taller than average upper torso i needed the 58, which as i've said, has been really comfortable, however as the CAAD 10 is more race spec, longer top tube etc., i probably need the 56? Do you guys know any Cannondale dealers that actually professionally measure you around my neck of the woods (North Kent)??

Also, i can't stretch to the 1999.99 for the 2012 CAAD10, will only have a budget of just over £1500.00, so therefore will need to get the 2011 model, but they don't do that in Black with the white decals do they? It has a bit of green on the rear triangle, i believe this is the closest? So will therefore probably have to go with white, even though i would prefer black and white....
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Soni...I had a Trek 1.9 and now a Madone 5.2, both in 56...I can ride them for hours.......I listened to some of the sizing chat ref Caad10...tried a 54...too small....I have a 56 and it is spot on.......doesn't feel any less comfortable than the Madone, just different Geo.......Caad has a tighter back end...yet Madone handles better.....my experience anyhow.

Just to say, i set my 56cm caad up and have positioned it alonside my already comfortable madone,,,as expected...the bars and saddle pretty much line up......I expect you will need a 58.

I am in Nth kent/Se London, if you ever get round this way...

2011, 105 model is black,,,,,105 is superb, even alongside Ultegra........spend the extra on wheels...

Caad climbs well, possibly not quite as well as madone (lighter, maybe better C24 wheels)....but Caad is great when you are down on the bars in aero position....that is what I love about it the most..........I have done around 150 miles in the last week on the Caad and even though it was dry today,,,I still took the Caad over the Madone, just because it rides so well!
  • Soni
    Hi porker, I work in north Greenwich, in Swanley every Fri and sat nights, but live just off j4 of the m20, whereabouts are you? Would be great to try yours out for size.

I was thinking of the 105 over the ultegra, but noticed the wheels and crankset are different as well as the gruppo, I have ultegra at the moment and it just feels like a step back going to 105, even though its supposed to be pretty good.

porker33 wrote:
    Soni...I had a Trek 1.9 and now a Madone 5.2, both in 56...I can ride them for hours.......I listened to some of the sizing chat ref Caad10...tried a 54...too small....I have a 56 and it is spot on.......doesn't feel any less comfortable than the Madone, just different Geo.......Caad has a tighter back end...yet Madone handles better.....my experience anyhow.

Just to say, i set my 56cm caad up and have positioned it alonside my already comfortable madone,,,as expected...the bars and saddle pretty much line up......I expect you will need a 58.

I am in Nth kent/Se London, if you ever get round this way...

2011, 105 model is black,,,,,105 is superb, even alongside Ultegra........spend the extra on wheels...

Caad climbs well, possibly not quite as well as madone (lighter, maybe better C24 wheels)....but Caad is great when you are down on the bars in aero position....that is what I love about it the most..........I have done around 150 miles in the last week on the Caad and even though it was dry today,,,I still took the Caad over the Madone, just because it rides so well!
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Soni I'd be very surprised if you were a 58 cannondale. I'm possibly a bit taller than you, just under 5 11 and have had 2 54 cannondales. A synapse and a six carbon. The only reason I could see you having a 58 would be if you couldn't take much drop to the bars.

I'd recommend going to the bike whisperer for a fitting on your current bike, get it set up try it for a bit and get him to decide on the new frame size for you. He won't be giving you advice based on stock levels if you know what I mean. Your measurements can be transferred to the new frame and you'll have a good fit. He made my bike disappear from under me, no niggles, no shifting about on the saddle, don't think about the bike anymore when riding, just ride.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I'm riding an alloy Boardman comp this year (first year on the road) and I'm really enjoying it, however I cant help but be swayed by the look of the CAAD10 in both 2011 and 2012 colours.

If I was looking to upgrade in the spring, would I be getting a decent upgrade in buying one? My Boardman is of 2010 vintage. Its a racy ride in comparison to a mates Allez but I dont know how much different riding a CAAD10 would be.

Maybe I need a demo?
  • Soni
    Hi mate is the bike whisperer in Kent? I had my measurement done for the trek on a jig and had to wait for the 58 to be ordered in, as the shop only had the 56 in stock.

I've still got the print out diagram with measurements for reference if that will help the shop.
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    Soni I'd be very surprised if you were a 58 cannondale. I'm possibly a bit taller than you, just under 5 11 and have had 2 54 cannondales. A synapse and a six carbon. The only reason I could see you having a 58 would be if you couldn't take much drop to the bars.

I'd recommend going to the bike whisperer for a fitting on your current bike, get it set up try it for a bit and get him to decide on the new frame size for you. He won't be giving you advice based on stock levels if you know what I mean. Your measurements can be transferred to the new frame and you'll have a good fit. He made my bike disappear from under me, no niggles, no shifting about on the saddle, don't think about the bike anymore when riding, just ride.
  • Evil Laugh
    If you've a fit you're happy with on the trek can you not just use the measurements you have to work out the size on the caad? A decent shop will be able to measure your bike if you take it in to them and replicate it on a caad for you to try.

Sorry i was presuming you were unsure of your fit too. Bike whisperer is in Ealing but is merely a fitting service.
  • Soni
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    If you've a fit you're happy with on the trek can you not just use the measurements you have to work out the size on the caad? A decent shop will be able to measure your bike if you take it in to them and replicate it on a caad for you to try.

Sorry i was presuming you were unsure of your fit too. Bike whisperer is in Ealing but is merely a fitting service.

Hi mate, no prob, yeah I have the bike fit data and happy with it, emailed bike whisperer and waiting for reply, would be good if the bike shop can work with the print out I have to determine the bike size, although Evans weren't able to......
  • Soni
    Received a reply back from The Bike Whisperer, and although i realise a bike fit is a must in most cases, and obviously they have to cover their time, if i was to get the bike fit done by the shop i was purchasing from, as in my original bike purchase case, it would be refundable if i purchased the bike (or was in my case), obviously The Bike Whisperer doesn't sell bikes, so they naturally have to charge and cover their time.

However, been looking at both Cannondale and Trek Geometry, and found out the following:-

Trek 2.5 - 58cm
    Top Tube Length - 573mm
    Standover Height - 786mm
    Headtube Length - 190mm
    Reach - 391

Cannondale CAAD10 - 58cm
    Top Tube Length - 575mm (+2mm longer)
    Standover Height - 822mm (+36mm higher)
    Headtube Length - 175mm (-15mm shorter)
    Reach - 399mm (+8mm longer)

Cannondale CAAD10 - 56cm
    Top Tube Length - 560mm (13mm shorter)
    Standover Height - 801mm (+15mm higher)
    Headtube Length - 155mm (-35mm shorter)
    Reach - 394mm (+3mm longer)

So, looking at the above, the standover height of the 56 CAAD would suit me better than the 58 CAAD, however the headtube on the 56 CAAD is 35mm shorter than the Trek 2.5 i am riding and the 58 CAAD is 15mm shorter, so the 58 CAAD would be better in this department.

So i either have to go with the higher standover height of the 58, or the shorter headtube of the 56, the shorter head tube would mean i'm in a more aero lower position though won't it? I don't think my stomach will allow me to get that low! :D
  • Evil Laugh
    You need to consider other factors like bb drop and frame angles, you can't just compare headtube lengths. I'd imagine they'd be similar but worth getting hold of the full geometry charts. Still think it's worth going to the shop you intend to buy the cannondale from and give them the results of your previous fit and the measurements of your saddle/stem etc etc, take your bike in, whatever they need and as long as it's not Evans or something I dint see why they would not be able to tell you exactly what stem size and spacer stack etc you would need on each frame to maintain the same position as your trek. It looks like the caad is gonna have a much lower front end. Make sure you are able to cope with this, no point having a racy bike with a huge spacer tower, you may as well get something else more suited to your body shape and flexibility. I've ridden a bike that is too low for me for a while. I swapped the frame out to something more suitable and the change is wonderful, as much as it was a wrench to leave the old frame behind. Not saying this will be the case with you just want you to be sure of what you're buying as it seems you've been agonising over this bike for a while.
  • Soni
    Bought the trek 1.5 from a really good lbs who did re measuring, following year bought the 2.5 from Evans as had to due to ride 2 work scheme, the 2.5 used the same frame as the 1.5 the previous year, as they bought in a cheaper frame for the 1 series that year, and I asked Evans about bike fitting, and they said they only have one guy who does it and had to wait about two weeks to see him, when I went in for the appointment, I showed him the fitting paperwork and he literally just glanced at it for 1 second, either couldn't be bothered to read it or didn't know what he was looking at, and said to me don't need to read this as you are a 56, I said no 58, he looked at my height and said your under 6 ft, I said 510, he said you are a 56, gave me a 56 o ride around the car park for 2 mins, asked me how it felt, I said.not good, feels like my knees are going to hit my elbows, I'm all cramped up, he said we can fit a longer stem and move the saddle, I asked if I could try the 58, he said it will be too big, when I tried it he even admitted I looked better on it, so that's what I bought again and have never looked back.

Completely understand what you mean about the caad being too low, that's what I'm worried about, a kind member on these boards has offered e the opportunity to try his bike for size, as I need to sell my trek to get the caad, and would be gutted getting rid of the trek which is a fantastically comfortable bike and enjoyable for me to ride, if the caad doesn't suit me and I won't be able to ride it....
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    You need to consider other factors like bb drop and frame angles, you can't just compare headtube lengths. I'd imagine they'd be similar but worth getting hold of the full geometry charts. Still think it's worth going to the shop you intend to buy the cannondale from and give them the results of your previous fit and the measurements of your saddle/stem etc etc, take your bike in, whatever they need and as long as it's not Evans or something I dint see why they would not be able to tell you exactly what stem size and spacer stack etc you would need on each frame to maintain the same position as your trek. It looks like the caad is gonna have a much lower front end. Make sure you are able to cope with this, no point having a racy bike with a huge spacer tower, you may as well get something else more suited to your body shape and flexibility. I've ridden a bike that is too low for me for a while. I swapped the frame out to something more suitable and the change is wonderful, as much as it was a wrench to leave the old frame behind. Not saying this will be the case with you just want you to be sure of what you're buying as it seems you've been agonising over this bike for a while.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    edited March 2014
    Have only read the last couple of posts and I have to say I'm astounded you're riding a 58 at 5'10"
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • If 5'10" are 177cm then a 58cm Cannondale is generally way off.

I'm around 176cm, leg inseam ca 83cm: I feel the 54cm (SuperSix) is right. I tried the 56-er and it felt too stretched.

I guess CAADs and SuperSixes have a very comparable geometry.
  • The same geo I believe. I too am 5 10 and ride a 54 CAAD10. The 56 was probably the right size according to the tape measure but it was too stretched for me too. I have virtually identical bar to pedal to seat measurements compared to my size large 595 (allegedly they come up a little small though).
  • Soni
    Went into a well known chain cycle store today in my area who are a Cannondale dealer, thought i would be able to see one in the flesh, they didn't have any in, they did have Willier, but said you are paying a lot more for one of those, i said they don't come with a lifetime warranty on the frame like Trek and Cannondale do though do they, i told him i have a Trek, he said Trek frames are too light because the type of aluminium they use is too thin, if you hit something with one the frame will damage, but that is why they are so fast, whereas the Cannondale frames are heavier and are a different type of aluminium and are more robust, although heavier than the Trek, i said this is the road bikes you are talking about? He said yes!! ???

This was the Manager i was speaking to, he said he does road riding......

I thought it was the other way around, Cannondale CAAD10 is the lightest aluminium frame on the market isn't it?
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Soni,

Having owned a Trek black alpha ali frame like yours and now a Caad10.....I feel the Cannondale is the thinner ali to the touch.......they are also lighter, yet equally or more stiff then the Trek.
    This may be down to the Geometry, but I am under no illusion the Caad is a particularly sturdy frame.
  • Soni
    Thanks to a member of these boards offering me a ride of the CAAD10, i've realised that the benefits of selling my Trek 2.5 to purchase a CAAD10 will be minimal. Especially as i like the ride and geometery of the Trek.

However, he also had a Trek 5.2 Madone that looks and feels awesome, I have just sucked up to my Mrs and will be purchasing one in March next year! :D

However, won't be able to get the same colours, unless you want to sell yours to me next year! :wink:

Can't beat your colours in my opinion.
  • On the point of sizing,I have a Caad 10,5' 8",and ride a 52.The 54 felt a bit stretched in the shop.
  • I'm 5ft 6" and ride a 50cm Six13 with a 100mm stem ... I did have a 110mm stem (well 115 when i measured it) and it was that bit racier but when i switched from my badboy which i rode through the winter i found thevdifference in reach too much of an adaptation ...

Used to have a 52 cm caad5 with a 90mm stem and that was fine but the front end was maybe a bit too high ...

Sorry to rattle on about stems but the mix of frame and stem makes quite a difference to fit and feel ...

My gf had a 48cm synapse and no doubt if i was bike fitted that would be the size i was recommended but the toe overlap was an issue (as well as it looking a bit odd with 700c wheels) ...
  • phil s wrote:
    Have only read the last couple of posts and I have to say I'm astounded you're riding a 58 at 5'10"

Lance Armstrong rode a 58cm Trek no?
    Over 400 000km cycled as a vegan.

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/durianriders/
  • phil s wrote:

Lance Armstrong rode a 58cm Trek no?

They even named a model after the hill he 'trained' on to win the tour!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    holy bananas - what a thread revival..!
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    Just what I was about to post!