Thinking of purchasing the CAAD10?

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I have the Trek 2.5 2011 with Ultegra, and must say its been a great bike in every way.

However, i only got the Trek 2,5 as i purchased it on the cycle to work scheme and my employer only dealt with Evans, and they had no stock of THE bike i wanted, which at the time was the CAAD9 Ultegra.

I'm now in the position to purchase a new bike outright, and can therefore go to any retailer, however obviously the CAAD9 are no longer available as have been superceded by the CAAD10.

My question is this: I've read many reports about the Cannondales being fantastic bikes, very light, but also having VERY thin tubing, and i'm worried as don't fancy wasting 1500 notes on something that may be fragile.

I've gone down a few times on the Trek, and no damage at all, the only scratches have been caused by a rear cycle rack carrier rubbing on the forks etc.,

Are there any members on here with the CAAD10? Do you think it would (although might sound stupid) bend with the weight of a 15.5 stone rider on it?

Comments

• Got the 105 version. I don't believe there is a weight limit and mine seems stiff in the right places. In terms of tube thickness and strength in a fall then I cannot help on that I am afraid.
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    Cannondale offer lifetime warranties on their frames for manufacturing defects for the lifetime of the first owner. They have a maximum rider weight of 125kg for their road frames.

I've two Cannondales (one Al and one Carbon) and I weigh around 15 stone and have had no problems with either. I think you'll be fine.
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • I had a caad r1000 for 4.5 years and had no problem, I am about 115kg and the bike was robust and very reliable. I then moved to a caad 10 and it was a much better bike - much stiffer. The tubes arent at all flimsy - go for a test ride.

Unfortunately this bike was stolen after a couple of months and I am now having to wait for the 2012 stock to arrive. I am also taking the opportunity to trade up to a super six.
  • Soni
    Thanks guys, that's reassuring, didn't realise cannondale also offered the lifetime guarantee on te frames thought it was.only trek.

Out of interest, which colours.do you guys have? White or back?

The black would better as would like that black bar tape to stop it getting dirty, but it looks a little dull in my opinion? I've seen the black with the white decals which look better, but the black with the black looks dull, what sdetermines wheter the decals are black or white?
  • The dura ace version is an anodised frame with black decals

Link here: http://bit.ly/osDPYT
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Lifetime warranty won't help if you crash...and many have found they ain't worth squat if the frame develops a crack either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Soni
    I was told by a retailer that they didn't deal cannondale due to their aftersales customer service problems, as apparently you have to deal with them back in the states although he said they were truing to get a.European gwen set up.

Have their been many caad aluminium frames crack?
  • Soni wrote:
    I was told by a retailer that they didn't deal cannondale due to their aftersales customer service problems, as apparently you have to deal with them back in the states although he said they were truing to get a.European gwen set up.

I have not read about any really, other than crash damage.
  • Soni wrote:

I have not read about any really, other than crash damage.
  • Soni wrote:

Tosh, distributed in the uk by a huge distributor, CSG i believe.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Warranty decisions would reside with Cannondale (read the small print) so no surprises and any warranty decisions are entirely at their discretion, rather than the UK distributor.
    Historically, Cannondale were known as 'Crack & Fail' - back in the mid-90s they tried to grow massively, their quality went south and they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
    Don't have more recent experience of their product.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Soni,

I had a Trek 1.9 which was the same as your 2.5, only the previous model year.

I bought a 2010 madone 5.2 and as I don't want to use that during the winter I have now bought a 2011 caad10 105.

The caad is a great bike, it has a slightly more racey geo than the Trek, but having recently ridden a friends 2011 Trek 2.3 (105) I do not know if the Caad is enough of a step up from what you have to justify the switch.

The caad is good enough, that I had to buy Da7900 wheels, Keo carbon pedals, new cassettee and KMC SL chain, just to make the madone feel more special..
    I did actually contemplate selling the Madone, but it is the better bike as far as I am concerned.

So, Caad is great, but I'm not sure it's much of a leap over a 2.5, especially if you find the 2.5 comfortable.
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Historically, Cannondale were known as 'Crack & Fail' - back in the mid-90s they tried to grow massively, their quality went south and they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
    Don't have more recent experience of their product.

They went bust because they started to make Moto X bikes. The bicycle wing was always profitable. If I recall the MX bikes had started to pick up but too late to save the business so they were sold to Dorel who moved production to away from the States to Taiwan. Also, with the ownership of Dorel they started making entry level bikes. Prior to this you were looking at at least £800 for a 'Dale.

In terms of quality some of the Coda stuff was ropey (stripping threads a favorite of mine...) - esp. the disc brakes (bolt hubs) but a lot of the late 90's/early 2000s stuff lives on (e.g. SI chainsets and Left forks).
  • Soni
    porker33 wrote:
    Soni,

I had a Trek 1.9 which was the same as your 2.5, only the previous model year.

I bought a 2010 madone 5.2 and as I don't want to use that during the winter I have now bought a 2011 caad10 105.

The caad is a great bike, it has a slightly more racey geo than the Trek, but having recently ridden a friends 2011 Trek 2.3 (105) I do not know if the Caad is enough of a step up from what you have to justify the switch.

The caad is good enough, that I had to buy Da7900 wheels, Keo carbon pedals, new cassettee and KMC SL chain, just to make the madone feel more special..
    I did actually contemplate selling the Madone, but it is the better bike as far as I am concerned.

So, Caad is great, but I'm not sure it's much of a leap over a 2.5, especially if you find the 2.5 comfortable.

Thats interesting,,,,,

I find the 2.5 so comfortable, its a really nice bike, comfortable ride, but definetely not that racey, more of a sit up and enjoy the ride kind of bike, not that i am a racer, but i would quite like the idea of having a bike thats race ready, i might see if i can take one out for a test ride to get an idea of what it will feel like.

It was out of the CAAD or a Carbon bike of some description around the 1500-1800 mark, however i get a little worried when it comes to carbon, although some people say its strong, i had a carbon seat post snap the other week on my bike, and if that was the frame, i would have been well peed.....
  • BoydD
    Any other comments on the Super6 105 - looking to get one so would be interested in any pros v cons - cheers.
  • Soni, For that money I would be tempted with the carbon super 6,

My oclv carbon madone does feel more substantial than my caad and is also a touch lighter.

perhaps the carbon super 6 is the way to go, it may feel more special and at least different than your trek?
    carbon should be a touch more comfortable than the ali frame (geo is the same), though the Caad is far from uncomfortable to the point it is communicative, so no complaints there at all.

What size do you ride?
  • One of my friends had a Caad3 prototype and he managed to put a thumb print in the top tube by just pressing it ...

However, that frame is still going strong 15 years later with only the decals making it look shabby ... Just been passed on to a very happy new owner ...

It's all really about whatever floats your boat really ... If younwant a 'dale, get one ... It'll be no better or worse than any of the othervhigher end brands ... And has alot more cache than a Trek or Spesh ...
  • 'dale has more cache than a Trek or Spesh???

I feel they are all functional working bikes, that have proved themselves in competition.

If however anyone would like to swap a Tarmac S works for my Caad10, please let me know as I would be more than happy to suffer the lack of cache of such an unproven race frame! :D
  • You forgot to quote the 'whatever floats YOUR boat' part ...

I used to ride Spesh bikes (I've had 4) and the Cannondales are just a bit better in every department ... But it's all in the eyes/legs of the beholder ...
  • Soni
    porker33 wrote:
    Soni, For that money I would be tempted with the carbon super 6,

My oclv carbon madone does feel more substantial than my caad and is also a touch lighter.

perhaps the carbon super 6 is the way to go, it may feel more special and at least different than your trek?
    carbon should be a touch more comfortable than the ali frame (geo is the same), though the Caad is far from uncomfortable to the point it is communicative, so no complaints there at all.

What size do you ride?

Hi Mate, i ride a 58 Trek 2.5, and had the previous years (2010) Trek 1.5 (they used the same frame in the 1 series 2010 and carried it through to the 2 series in 2011) and i had the 58 in the 1.5 as well.

However, i test rode the CAAD9 in a shop in South London (although i couldn't buy from their as my employer only used Evans) and they only had the CAAD9 in a 58, but it was way too big for me......obviously the different geometery and racier set up i suppose.

I would love to get the Super 6 105, however i'm still really concerned about the carbon frames, you see so many that snap and i have a tendancy of over tightening things....so can imagine it going pop...
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    But there's nothing to over tighten on a frame....

Maybe carbon fork steerer but the CAAD10 one could be carbon too? Anyway it's not something you're going to need to be doing and un-doing alot, even rarely. I guess just stay away from carbon bars and seatposts if you're a tightener - those are the things that will go 'pop'.

Also, I believe Cannondale have some of the highest standards in the industry for testing the strength of their frames, not that a C'dale or any other frame fore that matter will 'bend' under the weight of any rider :roll:

The only thing for me is Cannondale aesthetics. They just suck outright IMO. Plain fugly. But you are coming from a Trek... :lol:

That said, the CAAD10 is a perfectly decent frame and probably blows a fair few carbon offerings out of the water. The paint job is slightly improved over other/previous models too. Go for it...
  • Soni,

I am 6ft with 32" inside leg....I had a 56 1.9, now a 56 madone and wasn't sure about the 'Dale for sizing.

I tried a 54 and it was too small for me, the 56 is spot on.

I have recently ridden a Trek 2.3 in a 54 and that is also too small...

On the basis of that I would suggest you would still need a 58 in the Caad.(obviously riding one is the answer)

e.g. I set up my 56 Caad over a few rides, so that bars and seat were comfortable, put it along side the madone and everything almost lines up.

Also in riding it the Caad doesn't feel excessively "racey", maybe I am flexible, but 50milers are not a prob, it's not as if you buying a machine of torture is what i am trying to say.

The biggest difference I have found with the Caad is how stiff the back end feels, when out of the saddle or sprinting compared to other bikes, but that may be a positive function of the frame geometry.
  • Soni
    Hi Porker,

You surprise me riding a 56, I am 5.10 and ride a 58....

Every bike shop i went into said I was a 56 due to my height, however I got professionally measured on a jig and computer system and it spat out 58.

When the owner looked at the data, it was due to a taller than average upper torso.

I will be starting to look around in the next few weeks just hope they still have caad10's in stock!
  • Soni
    Hi Porker,

You surprise me riding a 56, I am 5.10 and ride a 58....

Every bike shop i went into said I was a 56 due to my height, however I got professionally measured on a jig and computer system and it spat out 58.

When the owner looked at the data, it was due to a taller than average upper torso.

I will be starting to look around in the next few weeks just hope they still have caad10's in stock!
  • Soni wrote:
    I would love to get the Super 6 105, however i'm still really concerned about the carbon frames, you see so many that snap and i have a tendancy of over tightening things....so can imagine it going pop...

i have had a Super 6 for over a year and weigh approx 110kg and it has not snapped yet.

if you overtighten invest £30 in a torque wrench and be sure
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
  • Soni
    twoodley wrote:
    Soni wrote:

i have had a Super 6 for over a year and weigh approx 110kg and it has not snapped yet.

if you overtighten invest £30 in a torque wrench and be sure

That's.one of my concerns, but was riding with a guy on Sunday who had an accident on a carbon bike and it wasn't until a few weeks later that he noticed a crack had appeared accross te top tube, I haven't got the money to risk having to buy a new frame if I stack it, maybe one day but not.just yet unfortunately.....which reminds me I havent checked saturdays lottery no's yet! :)
  • I must say I'd love a caad10. I've ridden and owned a lot of cannondales and currently on a top end carbon synapse, but I'd still love a caad10. A very pure looking bike. And in Matt black it makes such a change from all the glossy brightly coloured bikes...

Firstly let's get the quality question out the way. Since 2006, between myself and about 8 friends we have bought and abused the following and are still happy buying and riding cannondales.

Turine team, turine 1, flash ultimate, flash team 1, flash 2, rize ultimate, rush team, rush 1, rush 4, rush sl, synapse hi mod, caad f1

Out of all these bikes two have failed. Both were replaced for free for the new model by Cannondale. Yes bikes can brake, but it's the service when they do that's the problem. In contrast I damaged a 2008 trek madone 5.2 frame and trek would offer me nothing, not here's a free new one, oh no. Not here's the discounted price of a new one, nope. Nope they said not only could they offer me nothing, but that they no longer offered replacement frames on their own and that I'd need to buy a whole new replacement 5.2 full price. I'll admit it was my fault, but it still hurt.

I'd say a super six ll be equal in crash strength to a caad10, so do not let that put you off.

The ride will be much more focused and thrilling than your trek can ever be. In the case of the caad10 and super six you'd need to buy a madone 6 series, a friend has a 6.9 and it goes like the clappers I can tell you! I can also tell you it'll leave a £5k+ hole in your bank account!

There are very few bikes like the caad10 nowadays as everything is curvy carbon. It's up to you to decide how you feel about that? Do you embrace being a little different, or not. I disagree that this is not a big enough step up, oh it will be. But so would the super six. Both represent great value for money. To better the frames you'd need to spend a lot of money, and if you had that money it would be far better spent on wheels.

Ooooh a Matt black caad10 with a gloss black fizik carbon saddle, and zipp 303 tubs. Gosh, sir youd be the bell of the ball........
  • Soni
    Thanks for that post mate, you've Definetely sold it to me!! :lol:

However, which one do you mean would be more thrilling than my trek? Caad10 or supersix?

I Definetely like the look of curvy carbon I must admit, so would prefer the supersix.

Out of interest, the frames that failed and were replaced where were they purchased from? Ss in my experience pd aftersales service, the retailer is equally as important s the manufacturer, if you get a retailer that can't be bothered pursuing a warranty claim then you have no chance.
    I must say I'd love a caad10. I've ridden and owned a lot
    of cannondales and currently on a top end carbon synapse, but I'd still love a caad10. A very pure looking bike. And in Matt black it makes such a change from all the glossy brightly coloured bikes...

Firstly let's get the quality question out the way. Since 2006, between myself and about 8 friends we have bought and abused the following and are still happy buying and riding cannondales.

Turine team, turine 1, flash ultimate, flash team 1, flash 2, rize ultimate, rush team, rush 1, rush 4, rush sl, synapse hi mod, caad f1

Out of all these bikes two have failed. Both were replaced for free for the new model by Cannondale. Yes bikes can brake, but it's the service when they do that's the problem. In contrast I damaged a 2008 trek madone 5.2 frame and trek would offer me nothing, not here's a free new one, oh no. Not here's the discounted price of a new one, nope. Nope they said not only could they offer me nothing, but that they no longer offered replacement frames on their own and that I'd need to buy a whole new replacement 5.2 full price. I'll admit it was my fault, but it still hurt.

I'd say a super six ll be equal in crash strength to a caad10, so do not let that put you off.

The ride will be much more focused and thrilling than your trek can ever be. In the case of the caad10 and super six you'd need to buy a madone 6 series, a friend has a 6.9 and it goes like the clappers I can tell you! I can also tell you it'll leave a £5k+ hole in your bank account!

There are very few bikes like the caad10 nowadays as everything is curvy carbon. It's up to you to decide how you feel about that? Do you embrace being a little different, or not. I disagree that this is not a big enough step up, oh it will be. But so would the super six. Both represent great value for money. To better the frames you'd need to spend a lot of money, and if you had that money it would be far better spent on wheels.

Ooooh a Matt black caad10 with a gloss black fizik carbon saddle, and zipp 303 tubs. Gosh, sir youd be the bell of the ball........
  • Hi there.

Primera in Bournemouth have been the benchmark for a good while and some of us have travelled 100+ miles to visit, however a friend did say they have lost that loving feeling recently and have been hitting cycle scene. Cannondale dealer in Chelmsford takes some beating too. There are a few more exceptional dealers out there we ve been to but not for Cannondale.

The thrilling was in reference to both the caad10 and super six as they offer the same experience. The caad10 would be very punchy out of the saddle, the supersix would offer it all with a slight muting of road buzz due to the carbon. Both look classic road bike shapes with little curvy-wervy-ness to them IMO
  • On the value front....having fitted Da 7900 c24 wheels to the Caad, you do get the impression, you would have to spend quite a lot of £££ to find something faster?