If you were Cavendish...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2011 in Pro race
Who would you be offering cheques to in the next couple of days?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Several years ago it was €15k a man for help at the worlds. Can't see Sky wanting the heat around any hint of a pay off. Especially given the trouble News Int are in.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Austria, Belarus, Sweden and Poland.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Several years ago it was €15k a man for help at the worlds. Can't see Sky wanting the heat around any hint of a pay off. Especially given the trouble News Int are in.

No need. Just keep it in-house. Barry, Loftvist and Eisel (all been at HTC and (according to rumour) Sky riders with no-one credible to ride for). Maybe Siutsou too, if Hautorovich isn't going well.

Looking at the GB team though, I'm not sure he'll need them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • This is the world champs - the GB team is average, they all seem pretty tired, a couple of riders are off to different teams so not as straight forward as you think.
  • andyp
    I trust if this should happen, Dave Brailsford will provide the details of the riders whose services were paid for to their respective national federations so the offending riders can be banned from representing their country for life.

It seems only fair.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Several years ago it was €15k a man for help at the worlds. Can't see Sky wanting the heat around any hint of a pay off. Especially given the trouble News Int are in.

There'd only be heat if it didn't work.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    This is the world champs - the GB team is average, they all seem pretty tired, a couple of riders are off to different teams so not as straight forward as you think.

The GB team really isn't average. At least not as team to specifically serve Cavendish's needs. Millar, Wiggins, Froome, Stannard, Thomas - that's a lot of big engines to chase down breaks and set up a lead-out. Hunt and Cummings are no slouches either.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    This is the world champs - the GB team is average, they all seem pretty tired, a couple of riders are off to different teams so not as straight forward as you think.

The GB team really isn't average. At least not as team to specifically serve Cavendish's needs. Millar, Wiggins, Froome, Stannard, Thomas - that's a lot of big engines to chase down breaks and set up a lead-out. Hunt and Cummings are no slouches either.

Certainly a team that could do an incredible amount of damage in a TTT (once they'd dropped Cav...)

But it is all eggs in one basket and one day races are far more difficult to control than stages.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    They won't be the only team hoping it ends in a sprint. Australia, Germany and the USA will all be working for that conclusion.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    GB seem to have a bit of everything and I can't see them needing any help TBH.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Be interesting to see what tactics the other nations with fancied sprinters adopt. Cav is just so dominant that they might play chicken with GB over who burns their riders pulling it back for a bunch sprint.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    andyp wrote:
    They won't be the only team hoping it ends in a sprint. Australia, Germany and the USA will all be working for that conclusion.

Do you think any of them rate their chances to beat Cav in a sprint at more than about 10%. I think they all need to force some sort of selection, if the tactic is to beat Cav in a sprint that's unlikely to work.
  • dougzz wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Do you think any of them rate their chances to beat Cav in a sprint at more than about 10%. I think they all need to force some sort of selection, if the tactic is to beat Cav in a sprint that's unlikely to work.

That!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • RichN95.
    dougzz wrote:

There's a bit of a slope in the finale (nothing massive), so a power sprinter may fancy his chances
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Hushovd, Sagan, Freire?....

Would be great if they cut a deal with the Belgians - We won't chase Pip down if you help us keep it together if he's not away.

Uuuunlikely though.

Then again, it's a dangerous game to play.
  • iainf72
    The reports of people who've ridden the course say it's flat. Very very flat. Even the "climbs" are lame.

Booooo
  • andyp
    Have you not watched the video, Iain? One of the big hills on the profile is a motorway bridge. :lol:
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

There's a bit of a slope in the finale (nothing massive), so a power sprinter may fancy his chances

Exactly. The likes of Hushovd, Goss, Farrar etc are all going to think they have a chance against Cavendish on an uphill finish like this.
  • How uphill is it - is it the same finish the junior women and the the under 23 men are going to finish on today ?

• iainf72
    Not very. A drag at best
  • andyp
    How uphill is it - is it the same finish the junior women and the the under 23 men are going to finish on today ?

It is. 500 metres at 5% on a dual carriageway.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    iainf72 wrote:
    The reports of people who've ridden the course say it's flat. Very very flat. Even the "climbs" are lame.

Booooo

Unibet have Cav at 15/2.

Worth a punt?
  • Looking at the junior race it did look a relatively hard finish - OK so maybe junior women don't go up hills quite as well as the senior men but a few of them looked more like they were climbing than sprinting.

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Looking at the junior race it did look a relatively hard finish - OK so maybe junior women don't go up hills quite as well as the senior men but a few of them looked more like they were climbing than sprinting.

Without wishing to appear the slightest bit arsey, the performance gap between the junior women and the Elite men is enormous. The U23 race today will be a better indicator of how hilly it is.

I think one of the Danish forums had a thread about how the "official" lap profile had been produced using an uncompensated GPS and the reality is quite different (read flatter) in a couple of key areas, particularly the climb after the start / finish line.

I spoke to someone who rode the course yesterday and said the "climbs" were really just drags - they expect the Elite race to be very fast. The only impact the drags will have is by virtue of the fact that they have to go over them 18 times. Fatigue rather than climbing ability will make for any splits. I suspect Pip will have to wait until 2012 in Valkenberg for his title.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Exactly, it's hard to draw conclusions based on the junior women - but - there was enough to suggest that the finish might disadvantage sprinters who like a pan flat sprint. I don't think anyone has suggested that it's a course for any kind of climber.

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not sure how anyone can say the GB Team is average. Any team that has the worlds best sprinter in and a recent GT Podium placer must surely be above average.

It would be foolhardy for any nation to try their luck against Cav in a sprint - he would win 80% of the time. So its got to be that they'll try plenty of breakaways. And Team GB will chase selected ones down and let others go. Its a lottery but Cavs got to have a better chance than almost anyone else.

(and he was 11-1 on Betfair earlier in the week)
  • Team GB are super strong, I can't see another team with the same level of guys working for a sprinter anywhere else? Wiggins, Stanard, Millar, Thomas etc. That's not average and Cav knows it and feels the pressure of responsibility to deliver:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/15020262.stm

I put a bet on days ago as he is third fav behind gilbert and sagan, doesn't match with what riders are saying about the course i.e. bunch gallop.

It's about keeping the breaks controlled and let cav do the rest. Gilbert defo gonna try something from 1km out.

EDIT: teams with an equal amount of power to control the race would seem to be Australia, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. But I would still say GB is as good as any other team there.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Has Sagan won anything over this kind of distance ? It's a war of attrition.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is it though ? If its a flattish course - he'll just be following the wheels ?