Cramp advice

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
So having done the ManxE2E (yes I know it is a mountain bike race) I realised again that I have a serious issue with cramp.
Last year on the Nokia Coast to Coast, cramp cost me dearly and I missed the cutoff
2011 Cale Etape and I was cramping 1hr into the race - still got through it without the cramp causing me to stop - but downing the electrolyte did cause me to stop for a pee twice.
ManxE2E and cramp caused me to get off on at least 6 occasions some of which I literally could not move for 2-3minutes, I beleive this cost me over 30mins in total.

I drank during each event NUUN electrolyte = 1.5L have tried shot blocs, and different salty foods like bacon, ham and cheese at breakfast.
Is there any other suggestions or advice out there? One has been that I need to train it out of the muscles.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Since when was cramp proven to be a result of salt loss?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Salt loss unlikely to be an issue on such short times. More likely you are simply not ready for the extra effort you make. Train harder now and again - hard enough to almost cause cramp perhaps, and perhaps consider not drinking too much water?
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Herbsman

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/healt ... lock251001

from :http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/legcrampsunknowncause/Pages/Causes.aspx Herbsman

•dehydration – a low level of water in your body leads to a similar drop in your salt levels, which can trigger muscle cramps in some people

My issue is I don't feel overly tired after or have a loss of energy during events but get cramp. I train on long rides regularily 50miles or more but will admit to them not being of the same intensity of prolonged output - thinking it has more to do with duration than diet.
  • I also battle with cramp, although this year in the Manx E2E I only cramped badly on the final road climb which was a record. For me I think it is the higher level of exertion. I stayed properly hydrated and used electrolytes (High5 Zero) but towards the end still cramped.
    This year I am going to include more hard rides, where I really push hard for the whole time, rather than just riding along.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Cramp can be caused for a huge number of reasons, and as mentioned above, going harder than your fitness allows is normally a big cause of cramp.

Obviously it can't be electrolytes in your case, as you have consumed probably much more than you have sweated out, though only you know how much you actually sweat during an event. I will admit 1 hr into a sportive is very unlikely to be sweat related.

Training for 50 miles or so is good, but for that duration if it is not done hardish then come a race with the increased intensity it is no wonder the body starts reacting differently, you need to train at/or very near the intensities you will do events at IMO, not all of the time, but there must be some training stimulus there.

You may have other issues however, and perhaps if you don't think it is linked to fitness consult a doctor to see if they can provide any further information.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Herbsman

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/healt ... lock251001

from :http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/legcrampsunknowncause/Pages/Causes.aspx Herbsman

•dehydration – a low level of water in your body leads to a similar drop in your salt levels, which can trigger muscle cramps in some people

My issue is I don't feel overly tired after or have a loss of energy during events but get cramp. I train on long rides regularily 50miles or more but will admit to them not being of the same intensity of prolonged output - thinking it has more to do with duration than diet.

I said...

"Since when was cramp proven to be a result of salt loss?"

None of the above proves that anyone's cramp has been caused by salt loss.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I have tried these in the past and found they helped...Crampex
    If you google it you'll find out the active ingredients. It may be that which you are lacking.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I've had a lots of trouble with cramp over the years and every time it was down to bad position on the bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    unixnerd wrote:
    I've had a lots of trouble with cramp over the years and every time it was down to bad position on the bike.

I would like to hear more about what you found was wrong?
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I would like to hear more about what you found was wrong?

It was always on road bikes, never on the mtb as I tend to run the saddle a bit lower.

With the road bike(s) it could be saddle height or fore/aft adjustment. To be honest having the saddle too far back is a biggie, you have to compensate using calf muscles and I've had it cause cramp after <20 miles. Once it was a new saddle that just didn't suit me at all, swapped it for a Charge Knife and no more problems.

At the start of this year once the snow went and the road bike came back out of hibernation I didn't feel right. Kept moving the saddle slowly upwards and back and whilst it felt more aggressive it was totally the wrong thing to do. Had a bit of an epiphany about the whole thing and put if back to where it should be, didn't feel "right" but no more cramp and I was a good bit faster. Don't believe what your body tells you all the time.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Many moons ago a mate of mine kept cramping up after/during training, he was a tall lean bloke with plenty of muscle who stuck to a very healthy diet.
    He went to the doc who told him that it was probably down to a lack of salt, the solution : a packet of ready salted crisps with his lunch.
    It worked!
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    recently had problems with cramp in calves after running / cycling. Twitching more than locking up though, and it had also started to happen in the middle of the night. OK if I used high 5 or nuun after exercise, but googled it as you do. One possible cause is low calcium levels. I'm a vegetarian, but I hardly ever have milk, or other dairy products, and not much cheese.

Anyway, been taking the supplements (calcium with zinc I think, bog standard from Boots) for over 2 weeks, not changed anything else about diet or training, not had a problem since. If you google calcium deficiency, they reckon its pretty common
  • I had massive problems with cramps on yesterday’s Prostate Cancer Stoke 'Pro' ride, they started giving me serious trouble about 45 miles into the 87, near the top of Gun Hill. So much so that I ended up having to get off 3 times as I was effectively paralysed, and limit my speed severely for part of the route. Never had cramps before and I've done the route and much harder on several occasions. I always drink High 5 electrolytic drink during any ride. The only thing different was that I've raised the seat post by 6mm and moved the seat forward by 5mm maximum. Maybe seat position does have a lot to do with it, will reset it and try the route again in a couple of weeks.