Turbo Trainer and Cateye cycle computer HELP

Help.

Just bought a turbo trainer (Valore Elite) I didnt even think about tracking my speed and distance! Obviously the front wheel stays still so can anyone help me and tell me what I need to add to my bike so that I can track speed and distance.

The computer I have is a cateye micro wireless computer.

Thank you

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Can you not just move the sensor to the rear wheel? Might need to move the computer off the bars onto the toptube (nearer rear wheel) for use on the turbo.

Or get a rear wheel dedicated speedo (eg Cateye Strada Cadence although this is a wired unit so looks fugly).
  • I did as the above poster, you have to move the computer quite far back on the top tube for it to pick up the signal (so far, i seem to remember that i couldn't read it very well) and then you have to move everything back again when you go out on the road. It was so annoying i ended up buying a cateye v3, (which does have the sensor and magnet on back wheel) I think having a heart rate monitor when turbo training is very useful anyway.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Speed and distance aren't useful measurements for turbo training unless you keep track of resistance as well. The Elite Valore has variable resistance.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    ...and heart rate is only useful for longer efforts, not for short high intensity work.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman wrote:
    ...and heart rate is only useful for longer efforts, not for short high intensity work.

Disagree. Intervals of any length need one to be done properly.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Or get a rear wheel dedicated speedo (eg Cateye Strada Cadence although this is a wired unit so looks fugly).

Had the same problem, bought one of these and yes theyre not the most advanced or asthetic of units, but it does the job well enough.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Herbsman wrote:

Heart rate is too slow a response to gauge effort for intervals less than 5-10 minutes in length. HR is irrelevant for very high intensity work (<1 min) - going on feel is a much better way of gauging effort.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman wrote:

Disagree as much as you like. It doesn't bother me; it just exposes your ignorance.
  • Surely it's the long slog winter miles that are done on a turbo, intervals when it's coming back to season? Heart rate should be fine.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Get a garmin? Mine works off the back wheel along with the cadence sensor, bit of an expensive solution thou :shock:
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!