Am I the first on here this year

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
To put his "best bike" in mothballs for the winter?

Actually did it a couple of weeks ago when I had to go up the loft to retrieve some suitcases. Also had three sessions on the turbo.

Surely a sign that summer is done with.

Just waiting to put the bloomin' clocks back now. :cry:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Doing an Audax this Sunday (my first 200K) then it's mothballs for the "good" bike. I think I'll give it a real good cosseting this winter, get the alloy cranks machine polished and so on, should be better than new come April. :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I don't have a bike that I consider to be for 'best'

Road, Cross and MTB all get properly abused. I bought them to thrash them. :twisted:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'll stop using my best bike when the roads get gritted. Still a way off I should think. Don't really see any difference between riding the best bike now and riding it in say July.
    More problems but still living....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Cold, windy, showery - yep, it's still summer here so the Best Bike aka the Only Bike is still going strong.
    I plan to use the MTB with studs when necessary if we get another winter like the last couple.
  • It does seem a bit early, England still have another couple of cricket fixtures including an evening game tomorrow! Think that is ECB scheduling madness though, I bet the West Indian boys are going to love playing in about 10C.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    My best bike was put into storage on 19th June after the crash that broke my collar bone :cry: It won't be coming out until next year now, it will be the MTB during winter for me.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I usually strip down, clean and store the best bike when the clocks change.

That said, a combination of weather, being busy, being ill, commuting on the beater bike or being on holiday means I have not been on it since mid July :oops:

This weekend weather permitting although I can see that failing too :cry:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I have one bike, it wouldnt be considered best by anyone but me and it will stay in use until it snows. Then the dirty 8itch mtb will come out to beat the snarled up traffic caused by a light frost.
  • SS for me now until March !!! so you were first but only just... :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I put my best bike away for the winter after my club hill climb champs and promptly got it back out 3 days later as my winter bike was at the back of the shed and I CBA to move everything :oops: It is now covered in mud as it poored down on my ride so ready for a strip down, clean and oil before going away properly this time!
  • whichever i am not using, they all get left outside in the back garden with a tarp over. a wipe down with a GT85 rag every so often keeps em fine.

Road bike might get brought out again for the commute if it looks like its not going to chuck it down.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I use my best bike mainly in the winter as the summers in the UK are cr*p, a little of late spring and early autumn is sometimes OK here but my best bike gets used mainly in the Algarve in the winter best bike under wraps in workshop most of the summertime here. :shock:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I still got 3 crits to race over the next 6 weeks, a couple of sunday morning TT's plus plenty of fast club rides to do so it'll be a while yet before the best bikes get mothballed. Having said that I'll pull out the winter fixie from under it's cover and give it a good service before the weather turns too bad.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Weather at the moment is about as good as it got. I'd happily ride the best bike for a good month or so longer.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Are you lot the same ones who buy a place in the sun to use for a fortnight every year?
  • A bit premature IMO. The weather forecast person has just promised good weather for the rest of the month, for 'round hereabouts. You could be retrieving your machine to do a few more 'epics' before the winter closes in on you. (Oct 7th, my birthday)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Neither my best bike or my winter hack are ever "put away".

You get some gloriously sunny and dry days in the winter when it would be a crime not to use the best bike, and some horrible shite days in summer when you need guards.
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I probably won't use my best bike much now, but we could still get some good weather.

As long as the roads haven't been gritted, I will use it if it's dry and I want to go fast.

At the moment I have a grotty cold, so not really in the mood for going fast.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    The week ahead is looking dry so she's staying out for the time being. Forecast up to the mid 20's for the weekend - I just hope they're right 8)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Best bike will still get a wee run out as long as its dry and the roads are not gritted. Reckon I can squeeze it until october then its the RS with guards for the winter!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    Well you inspired me to go out for a quick evening ride on best bike - just got back.

Didn't realise how early it gets dark now though, and I didn't take lights.

Had to come back last 5 miles on (well-lit) cycleways. :oops:
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    I'm in complete denial about the diminishing daylight hours, approaching bad weather, salted roads and the need for a winter hack.

I might even ride the race bike (including Zipps) to work tomorrow for the first time this year :D
  • Ron Stuart
    APIII wrote:
    Are you lot the same ones who buy a place in the sun to use for a fortnight every year?

No
  • Usually, the roads start getting covered in shite from about mid to late October, thats when i,ll put the CR1 away until next spring.
  • Ron Stuart
    fish156 wrote:
    I'm in complete denial about the diminishing daylight hours, approaching bad weather, salted roads and the need for a winter hack.

I might even ride the race bike (including Zipps) to work tomorrow for the first time this year :D

Yep Zip Ties can be useful, I used one once when a front mech cable broke :shock:
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    fish156 wrote:

Yep Zip Ties can be useful, I used one once when a front mech cable broke :shock:
    I think he meant his Zipp wheels :wink:
  • Ron Stuart
    kettrinboy wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    fish156 wrote:

I think he meant his Zipp wheels :wink:

Yah spoilt it now :roll:
  • Fantastic sunny and warm day here today, well done with this thread Frank, it's sods law that there would be good weather as soon as you posted it :lol:
  • Ron Stuart
    Fantastic sunny and warm day here today, well done with this thread Frank, it's sods law that there would be good weather as soon as you posted it :lol:

Where is here :?:
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    Fantastic sunny and warm day here today, well done with this thread Frank, it's sods law that there would be good weather as soon as you posted it :lol:

Where is here :?:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/24

Better weather than anything we had in July and August :?