Who doesn't use mudguards?

2»

Comments

• don't have the clearance (with marathon plus 25mm) for front mudguard but do have a rear which stops me having a badger stripe!

as others said it's when the roads are wet but not raining that they shine.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    I don't yet. Still hunting for ones that fit.

Stupid small 650c wheels :evil:
    Gilles Berthoud do 650b mudguards. This place does the 700c versions but I don't see the 650b ones. Maybe call them and get them to do a special order for you.

You'll have the choice of stainless steel or carbon fibre.
    Cheers.

I was thinking of trying the Crud Road Racers as I read they can be coaxed into shape. Although I did spot some 650c ones a while back but can't find them any longer :(
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    I managed for years without, then for a few more years with SKS race blades, and then finally bought a bike with mounts and fitted proper mudguards and now wouldn't dream of going back, even to the race blades.

You do stay much dryer. In particular you don't have freezing cold water being fired straight at your arse from the back wheel. Also, full mudguards that extend forward beyond the front fork greatly reduce the plume of water that comes off the top of the front wheel and then falls onto your feet as you cycle through it.

It also keeps your bike much cleaner. On my old bike, the front mech used to seize up regularly as it got completely caked in crap (race blades don't protect that bit).
  • Nope - for the few times a year the roads are wet enough to get significant spray I can't be bothered - about 6 or 7 times so far this year. Maybe it's the geometry of some people's bikes that causes them to get wet shoes and the streaky back look? :)
    Still breathing.....
  • Never use them.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I use SKS on my tricross but cant fit the front guard as the brake hanger fits into the crown of the fork where you hang the front guard so i get wet shoes but not a badger back

im getting Crud Road Racers for my Secteur though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    I use SKS on my tricross but cant fit the front guard as the brake hanger fits into the crown of the fork where you hang the front guard so i get wet shoes but not a badger back

There's an adapter you can get that allows the guard to be fitted. One of my mates has the 2010 model which has this issue. I'll ask him for the part number....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:

There's an adapter you can get that allows the guard to be fitted. One of my mates has the 2010 model which has this issue. I'll ask him for the part number....

cheers, but the bike is going back in a week or so then im getting a newun' so i will have to hang my cape up :(
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

cheers, but the bike is going back in a week or so then im getting a newun' so i will have to hang my cape up :(

darth-vader-i-find-your-lack-of-faith-disturbing.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Fitted SKS chrome plastics onto the Pompino a couple of weeks back. Can't believe that I didn't do it years ago. Dry ass and feet are priceless.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    edited September 2011
    The winter bike, which is a Cotic Roadrat+Alfine+Marathon Plus 28mm has full, wide mudguards. This bike has such massive clearance that even 35mm Marathon Winter studded tyres fit under the guards

The summer commute bike (an Orbea) doesn't have mudguards. I tried SKS raceblade on it but their nuisance value vs protection doesn't work out. The posts above are a bit of a mudguard love in. There is a dark side to mudguards, they are prone to rattling and annoying

On my audax bike (Specialized Roubaix) I have Crud Roadrace + 25mm most of the time. Roadrace are as good as "proper" mudguards. However for the recent PBP 1200km event I took the guards off so it would take 28mm tyres instead. It rained a bit on PBP but the bigger tyres were the right choice.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    vorsprung wrote:
    The posts above are a bit of a mudguard love it. There is a dark side to mudguards, they are prone to rattling and annoying

I've not had any problems, but I use threadlock on everything when putting them together.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Rolf F wrote:

Thats a really nice looking bike.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3