Who doesn't use mudguards?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I am gonna get wet anyway if its wet, and can always line my backpack with a binliner. Are they crucial? I'm certainly not going to sit at my desk in lycra anyway.

Plus the fact I don't (think I) have those little eyelets by my rear dropouts so don't know what I can use anyway.

Just thinking about getting some, but wondering how crucial they were....

Comments

• It depends how much you like getting wet. When you're riding in the rain, it's not the water that comes from the sky which soaks you, it's the water flicked up from the road. Especially good for stopping water from getting into your shoes.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    If you like to get as wet as possible when there's water on the road, e.g. after its finished raining, or particularly like the "brown stain of shame" look, and like wearing out your components more quickly then by all means forgo the unnecessary few grams. Alternatively get some SKS Race Blades or Crud Road Racers, be prepared for the frustration of fitting them but then revel in the dry security that they bring.

I ran all summer without them but I've recently switched back and I'm amazed by how much less water gets thrown over you, particularly your legs, when you're running them.

Of course, when its properly raining all you're doing is delaying the inevitable.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I generally don't use them unless it absolutely tipping it down. Then I find the front mudguard does keep my feet marginally dryer and you'd be amazed how much better it feels without your rear end being constantly drenched by road spray. If you don't have the fixings use some race blades, they attach to the seat stays and forks with thick rubber bands. They're not as good as full guards but are better than nothing
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • For me it's more the rain flicked up onto your shoes from the front wheel.

Sure, if you're gonna get wet you're gonna get wet, but getting wet when the temperature drops is not fun and neither is slipping on soggy shoes at the end of the work day.

Looks like SKS have just brought out some fantastic looking new clip-on guards (check the vids on road.cc) that will make putting full mudguards on and off a piece of the proverbial.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    WR - I am certainly not in the market for trashing my bike, got a good deal on it so certainly want to make it last.
    Although new to the cycling game, the intention is to continue to cycle all year round (snow/ice excluded as cant be ar$ed to swap tyres) and I certainly don't need new components. If its tipping it down, there is a small chance of CBA syndrome, but really, I actually quite enjoy it if I know there is a hot shower when I get in (and we have epic showers at work)

What are good guards if I don't have the eyelets in the rear dropouts? I'm not overly concerned about weight - will the 2 suggested above work?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Alternatively get some renty white SKS Race Blades or Crud Road Racers, .

FTFY
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    If you like to get as wet as possible when there's water on the road, e.g. after its finished raining, or particularly like the "brown stain of shame" look, and like wearing out your components more quickly then by all means forgo the unnecessary few grams.

+1

A lot more comfort and less maintenance since fitting mine
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ALWAYS had mudguards on my commuter.

I was in half a mind to go Dutch Delgado.jpg

But it doesn't work with derailleurs.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2011
    Double (hero) post.
  • I don't have them - but that's pure laziness. When i shoes get drenched i really do wish i had them on..
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • mine don't fit with the marathon pluses so my winter tyres dont benefit from winter protection so all a bit crap really. I'll put them back on in the summer with the 23s
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Guards are for when its not raining more than anything. Dry feet for longer and no road grit all over your nice jerseys/shorts, no brainer!
  • I DON'T :twisted:

The only problem is when you go to ride home you have wet shoes/shorts/jacket :?
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Doesn't really make sense not to have them on a commuting bike, especially through winter with all the salty grit on the road.

SKS Chromoplastics FTW!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have tried it both ways......*ahem*

With; feet get wet slowly
    Without; feet get wet quickly

Even with booties on, feet eventually get wet - so, I have even dropped using these now, used the endura ones that are like a drysuit skin. Still managed to get water in somewhere!

So, I went without and just find somewhere to dry my shoes/socks out. I don't mind being wet, skin is waterproof......

I also had a mudguard slip into a wheel once, so, for that reason I am definitely out.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    There's no prizes for getting wet/covered in crap on your way to work when you could just as well not. So I'd say get some.

EDIT: Also, it's all very well getting changed when you get to work but what if you're nipping out to the pub or round to visit a friend?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    gtvlusso, do you not get covered in road grit? Its pretty nasty especially when all the salt is laid down on the roads, not a fan of the pebble dashed look!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I don't yet. Still hunting for ones that fit.

Stupid small 650c wheels :evil:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    If you do go for Race Blades, tape your forks and stays first. A small amount of grit will work its way down between the mounting brackets and the frame, then grind way at the paintwork leaving you with matching bald patches. I also suffer from toe overlap with mine on. Otherwise they are great.

Another alternative is P-clips and 'proper' mudguards.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • The Zefal Swan is the ideal compromise for road bikes. Keep your butt dry and grit out of your hair but is an absolute doddle to fit and remove.

SKS Chromo's for the CX for the winter months
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I'm going to be bloody well buying mudguards after today. Hopefully they make some fairly unobtrusive ones.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Crud Road Racers are ace! So ace they are permanently on my Ribble now and it looks better for it!

A couple of years back, I was running my old touring bike and took the SKS mudguards off over the summer. Of course, it still rained and eventually the rear wheel bearings got knackered because the continous spraying it was getting from the front wheel washed the grease out.

To be honest, on a commuter, even in summer it is a no brainer. It still rains a lot in summer and I've found that the cleaning time is massively reduced (I always clean the bike every time it gets mucky) - no longer need to keep cleaning the front mech etc. If your bike is a cheap pub job it matters less but if the components are expensive, some form of full mudguard is essential.

And they do help feet to stay dry which, if your feet suffer the cold a lot, does matter!

P1080264sm.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Strangely, I decided over the weekend to add them to the commuter so I booked in to have them fitted this morning. Cue the rain... so I and the bike were a little soggy when we rocked up. And then, of course, tonight when I picked bike with guards up, it's a lovely evening.

Now fully expecting the driest autumn on record...
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Another one with Crud Racers here. Wouldn't leave home without them between Sept-Apr.

edit: plus think of your fellow commuters man! there's nothing worse than having someones spray in your face... :shock:
  • Here's a link to that video I was on about: CLICK HERE
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    suzyb wrote:
    I don't yet. Still hunting for ones that fit.

Stupid small 650c wheels :evil:
    Gilles Berthoud do 650b mudguards. This place does the 700c versions but I don't see the 650b ones. Maybe call them and get them to do a special order for you.

You'll have the choice of stainless steel or carbon fibre.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Yep, fit my mudguards if there is/will be rain about.
    I use the Zefal Trail guards, fixing them takes a matter of seconds and saves me from getting a wet bottom
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2
  • SKS ones. I'm not a weight weenie nor a speed freak and prefer not looking like I've had an explosive c**p up my back every time it rains, I leave 'em on full time. if you're that bothered about the weight, think of it as an additional training bonus. If you're that bothered about the look, get a life.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nope.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    SKS p35 for me, as said before they work great for the imes when it's wet but not raining.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3