Potatoes

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Look gents - we are talking greatest foodstuff here so I'll hear no more of choux buns and eggs. However tasty a choux bun is, it is just a choux bun and many might say (myself included) that if you are talking buns, the chelsea bun (sadly hard to find these days) is the ultimate in bun-ness.

And eggs - they are great (particularly poached on white toast) but eat more than 10 a day on a regular basis and you're dead. It has but a fraction of the versatility of the spud.

If you must talk nonsense, take it to the cheese thread!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    itboffin wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    In pre-famine Ireland the average labouring male munched his way through 14lbs of potatoes per day.

:shock: :?

Er what now 14lbs you must have a . missing, who eats 14lbs of anything in a day? a week perhaps but still v unlikely.
    Apparently not. I had the info first hand from a cousin who runs a 'famine museum' in Co. Donegal.

These men worked hard. You need to eat a lot of spuds to maintain your body if spuds and seaweed is about all there is to eat.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Spuds, buns and cheese and mere trifles.

Bacon is where it's at and you all know it. Even vegetarians know it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:

tumblr_l7y4szFHHz1qzg1r7o1_500.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asprilla wrote:

Potato potato.jpg
    Bun 1251450004P3tn76.jpg
    Cheese pic-cheese.jpg
    Mere Trifle A-magnificent-trifle-001.jpg

I think that you can see that the potato, bun and cheese are completely different to the mere trifle.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Asprilla wrote:

If you want to be a veggie why eat something that is manufactured to look and taste like meat? I just don't get it.

Nor those vegetarians who eat fish. Is fish not an animal? (Don't bother giving me the mammal, reptile blah blah here, I'm using animal in the generic sense)

For the record I enjoy eating vegetables and am happy to eat meals with no meat from time to time.
  • Two answers to that:

1. You've got it the wrong way 'round. They are made to look like meat to entice the meat-eaters to a vegetarian alternative
    2. People who eat fish are NOT vegetarian. They may like to think they are, but they're not
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Asprilla wrote:

Of all the things posted on Bikeradar, I actually find this one of the most off putting.

And your wrong. Meat-eaters aren't enticed by vegetarian options that look like meat...

You're right about the fish thing though.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DDD - you think that's bad:

quorn.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I try and have large chips the night before a big ride. For me, works much better than pasta.
    exercise.png
  • Agent57 wrote:
    I think the medieval feeling is a large part of what I am finding so compelling about A Song of Ice and Fire (started reading with Game of Thrones in July, and just started Feast for Crows).

Well after reading that one I think you should wait for 6 years before reading A Dance with Dragons like I've had to....

Off to the chippy now, it's all this threads fault.
  • davmaggs wrote:
    I do wonder what people actually ate before potatoes, bananas and pasta arrived in Britain

mud
    davmaggs wrote:
    or drank before tea and coffee turned up

wet mud

:lol: although turnips apparently were popular up here in the north east when romans ruled the land...
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I tried to imagine a potatoless world and it wasn't good........

It's a little known fact, but Sir Walter Raleigh is rightly famous as the man who introduced salad to Glasgow.
    "Consider the grebe..."