Potatoes

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Is there any greater foodstuff? OK, it might be a bit dull in its own right but you can do so much with a potato. Where would the world be without potatoes? I tried to imagine a potatoless world and it wasn't good........
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd rather do with potatoes than water.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Is there a greater food stuff? Surely you've seen the cheese thread?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What are you, Irish?

:shock: Can't believe I sad that
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cheesy Chips

It's a big tent and we can all fit in
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I had potatoes for lunch.

They were cut into chip shapes and then dropped into boiling hot beef dripping until cooked through. I then applied salt and vinegar liberally and ate them with a tiny wooden fork whilst sat in a sunny park.

How about that?
  • Shatiiing!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I do wonder what people actually ate before potatoes, bananas and pasta arrived in Britain or drank before tea and coffee turned up
  • davmaggs wrote:
    I do wonder what people actually ate before potatoes, bananas and pasta arrived in Britain or drank before tea and coffee turned up

McDonald's and Coke.
  • davmaggs wrote:

Parsnips were our staple source of starch, pre-potato, I am (possibly even reliably) informed.

Pre tea and coffee, dunno... beer?

_
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    McDonald's and Coke.
    Clearly without 'fries'....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spuds were introduced around 1550 I believe so before that it would have been a medieval diet - like the attached

http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/ ... facts.html
  • davmaggs wrote:
    I do wonder what people actually ate before potatoes, bananas and pasta arrived in Britain

mud
    davmaggs wrote:
    or drank before tea and coffee turned up

wet mud
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    I saw something on the telly last night about ration-era recipes, which included one for mock chocolate truffles made from mashed potato :shock:

http://kitchenmade.blogspot.com/2010/05/ration-book-cooking-project.html
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davmaggs - if you are genuinely interested then this is a very interesting book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-travellers ... 0224079948
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    In pre-famine Ireland the average labouring male munched his way through 14lbs of potatoes per day.

:shock: :?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Mash with cheese. Or roasted with or without cheese.

While chips are great and all I don't think "potatoes" when eating them.

not sure why, must be a DDDism.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Are fries potato? Really?

I agree that the humble potato is a vastly underrrrrated dish. A roast dinner without roasties Pah!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I had potatoes for lunch.

They were cut into chip shapes and then dropped into boiling hot beef dripping until cooked through. I then applied salt and vinegar liberally and ate them with a tiny wooden fork whilst sat in a sunny park.

How about that?

Where in London did you get chips fried in beef dripping?
  • fryer's delight
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    davmaggs - if you are genuinely interested then this is a very interesting book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-travellers ... 0224079948

Nice one, I'm going to get that.

I found the Victorian farm series very interesting and even though only a 100ish years have passed it became obvious very quickly that modern skills, knowledge, and physical endurance would be almost useless if you went back in time to be a lay person at that time. The 14th century would be horrendous.
  • I like early medieval history the best. The 12th century appears to have been particularly brutish what with the civil war and the ensuing anarchy all jizzing itself up into Thomas a Beckett getting chopped and going down all martyr like. Well interesting like. And not a spud in sight.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Indeed, I take it you caught some of the recent dramatisation of Ken Follett's The Pillars of The Earth. Offing your immediate relatives to remove rivals seems to have been almost an everyday occurrence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I think the medieval feeling is a large part of what I am finding so compelling about A Song of Ice and Fire (started reading with Game of Thrones in July, and just started Feast for Crows).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    I think the medieval feeling is a large part of what I am finding so compelling about A Song of Ice and Fire (started reading with Game of Thrones in July, and just started Feast for Crows).

HBO's adaptation is epic. Super massive Dinklage.

Re. potatoes, there's something creepy about the way they sprout. Especially when they get really long. Ugh.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    What are you, Irish?

Whats your point ......!? :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • notsoblue wrote:

Hawksmoor do them too and they're gorgeous. Skip the double-fried variety they do and just go for the dripping ones. Mmmmmmm....

But no, potatoes aren't the ultimate. I can go weeks without eating a potato. Eggs are the greatest foodstuff - oodles of protein and you could easily eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, served in different ways... scrambled for breakfast, egg mayo in sarnies for lunch, made into cake for afternoon snacks, souffle or omelette for dinner and then meringues or custard for pudding...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Daz555 wrote:
    In pre-famine Ireland the average labouring male munched his way through 14lbs of potatoes per day.

:shock: :?

Er what now 14lbs you must have a . missing, who eats 14lbs of anything in a day? a week perhaps but still v unlikely.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • joelsim
    notsoblue wrote:

Hawksmoor do them too and they're gorgeous. Skip the double-fried variety they do and just go for the dripping ones. Mmmmmmm....

But no, potatoes aren't the ultimate. I can go weeks without eating a potato. Eggs are the greatest foodstuff - oodles of protein and you could easily eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, served in different ways... scrambled for breakfast, egg mayo in sarnies for lunch, made into cake for afternoon snacks, souffle or omelette for dinner and then meringues or custard for pudding...

You're kidding, give me a potato over an egg anyday.

We're both wrong actually. Choux buns with chocolate and cream are the greatest ever foodstuff. I start feeling sick after two grapefruit sized ones though, and it's impossible to leave the second one in the packet in the fridge.
  • And you wouldn't have the choux bun without eggs in the pastry... I rest my case, m'lud. :wink:
  • joelsim
    You've obviously never tasted potato choux buns have you. They are lovely.