Robust Rollers/Turbo Trainer

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
My workplace has an employee funded Sports and Social Club which allows us a large gym and sauna plus 'sections' for interests such as golf, walking, theatre and city trips etc. I have been knobbled to start a cycling section and have agreed to get some rollers or a turbo trainer to add to the gym.

Being from the north we are a tight bunch and want vfm, I think rollers are the best option despite the time needed to master them as swapping the wheel and spindle on a turbo for different users bikes once or twice a day just won't be realistic and someone will break or loose a part.

Despite asking a few LBS for advice they haven't been too much help so have come here for your expert opinions.

After looking around my initial thoughts are towards a Kreitler 4.5 with headwind fan for about £400, have you any suggestions or options ?
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• I know that you are favouring rollers, I but think that the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine turbo is a very good piece of kit. It has a lifetime warranty and the construction is bomb proof. It is very, very quick to change bikes on it and the large flywheel means that wear to tyres is, in my expereience, not an issue at all. I notice that you're 'not in Todmorden'. I'm in Milnrow, so if you wanted to pop around and have a look at mine it would be no problem.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    seataltea wrote:
    ... as swapping the wheel and spindle on a turbo for different users bikes once or twice a day just won't be realistic ...
    Rollers need setting up according to the wheelbase of the bike being used. Changing this requires a spanner. Perhaps even less practical?
  • If your only just starting, do you have an idea of how many people are going to use them? Are many people going to bring their own bikes in to use a TT?

You might (curse my black heart even suggesting this) just want a decent spin bike.
  • If your only just starting, do you have an idea of how many people are going to use them? Are many people going to bring their own bikes in to use a TT?

You might (curse my black heart even suggesting this) just want a decent spin bike.

16 have indicated an interest but a spin bike I hadn't considered, it'd probably be more elf and safety approved than rollers.

Mathew, thanks you may also be able to fix my knee.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Ebay search for recon Spin bikes Spinner / Schwinn brands. Go for the ex gym machine obviously not home models
    imo... people will attempt to break anything in a gym if at all possible and professional gym equipment has been designed over the years to be as resilient as it needs to be... and boy does it need to be reslilient.