bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fourwheels

Hi James, how was Fresher's week?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Fourwheels wrote:
    There's no call to belittle James Madden, just because he is still engaged in studying for a degree in Physical Geography. After all, he is already a graduate, and has amassed a wealth of knowledge in his favourite field, meteorology. More to the point, his weather forecasts for the last two winters, AND the last two summers have been accurate, much more so than those which came from the Met. Office, and he was confident enough of them to, as he put it at the time, "stick his neck out" and issue them, no matter that they were radically different form the long-range forecasts issued by the Met. Office.
    James has not allowed himself, as many at the Met. Office have obviously done, to be fooled by all the fashionable hype about "Global Warming" (now called "Climate Change", apparently) and "Greenhouse Gases", and looks at all the factors objectively which affect our weather, especially the two main drivers of it : the sun, and the Gulf Stream Drift.

What are his methods? If his forecasts are more than just lucky guesses, what is he doing differently from institutions like the Met who run incredibly complexed weather models on super computers?

He appears to be a hobbyist who just appears to be very willing to engage with journalists who want to write fluff pieces about the weather. Theres very little to indicate otherwise :?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:
    Fourwheels

sock-puppet_medium.jpg
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bails87 wrote:
    Fourwheels

Smileyface emoticon here!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I was a bit shocked at the weight of the Marathon Winters - they are about the same as the regular Ice Spikers. I'm glad both bikes that use ice tyres have disc brakes!

Hang on, you what now? Why would having slightly heavier tyres mean you needed disc brakes? (Although disc brakes would have been great in the snow, my mini-V's on the Day One got so clogged with snow it was unbelievable).

I was joking.

But - the Marathon Winters weigh 5x as much as a good road tyre (that's not "slightly heavier") and all of that weight is at the rim making an excellent flywheel with 5x the energy storage of a road tyre. If you're going to add mass to any system, the last place you want to add it is to the external surface of the rotating parts if you want it to accelerate or decelerate quickly.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fourwheels wrote:
    Cobblers

PMSL :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Fourwheels wrote:
    There's no call to belittle James Madden, just because he is still engaged in studying for a degree in Physical Geography. After all, he is already a graduate, and has amassed a wealth of knowledge in his favourite field, meteorology. More to the point, his weather forecasts for the last two winters, AND the last two summers have been accurate, much more so than those which came from the Met. Office, and he was confident enough of them to, as he put it at the time, "stick his neck out" and issue them, no matter that they were radically different form the long-range forecasts issued by the Met. Office.
    James has not allowed himself, as many at the Met. Office have obviously done, to be fooled by all the fashionable hype about "Global Warming" (now called "Climate Change", apparently) and "Greenhouse Gases", and looks at all the factors objectively which affect our weather, especially the two main drivers of it : the sun, and the Gulf Stream Drift.

Ah - the Sun and the Gulf Stream - of course
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fourwheels wrote:

He's right y'know. The Met Office forgot about the sun, that's why all their weather forecasts have the earth being a lifeless ball of rock and ice by the end of the week.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    And the fact that he doesn't believe in Climate Change - explains why we still have dinosaurs living in the Antarctic Coal Forests
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449

Gulfstream-GIV-1.jpg

Yeah one of these always fixes my weather issues too.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3