training help

ozzy1000
ozzy1000 Posts: 73
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
hi all,

I've just signed up for the exmoor beast 100miles.

I did my first century at the end june, but haven't really ridden more than 40miles since (including 3 weeks in canada with no bike!) I'm not entirely unfit but have only 4 weeks to get ready for the beast,

does anyone have any advice on how best to approach/maximise my training?? the exmoor beast is alot hillier than the other century.....

help! Owain

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ozzy1000 wrote:
    hi all,

I've just signed up for the exmoor beast 100miles.

I did my first century at the end june, but haven't really ridden more than 40miles since (including 3 weeks in canada with no bike!) I'm not entirely unfit but have only 4 weeks to get ready for the beast,

does anyone have any advice on how best to approach/maximise my training?? the exmoor beast is alot hillier than the other century.....

help! Owain

as you supply the bare minimum of information (all too often) " I ride a bike, wanna do x miles, supply training plan y at absolutely no cost z please" :wink:

I backtracked a previous post, from that I deduce you have enough in the tank to do a sportive already from your Garmin... the general consensus is ,, sportives are not exactly events to 'train' for anyway....they are essentially fun events and times mean nothing anyway.. sorry to be dismissive.. I do some myself to round off my cycling but dont take them that seriously... like next Sundays Stoke tour ride.

I might actually look to getting a garmin500 though.... I'd also say your HR was way up there and your cadence was a bit on the grinding side of the fence but each to their own.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    This is what you need to do.
    week 1.
    Knock off 500 miles with hills.
    week 2.
    knock off 600 miles with 100 hill repeats
    week 3.
    knock off 700 miles with 150 hill repeats.
    week 4
    This is important, stay in bed all week otherwise you'll be to tired for the ride.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I didnt see the PAyPal button paypal_button_sm_1_.png:wink:
  • ok, sorry for the briefity of my post.... its was sent from work and not very well thought through.....

thanks for the reply, I guess thats what i wanted to to hear 'that i probably have enough in the tank already'... i just haven't had much chance to ride lately and thought i'd scare myself into being more motivated by signing up for this one..

when you say my heart rate it high, what do you think that implies?? just that i'm not that fit?? would say that this is probably the the case, I really don't havemuch base fittness and tend to survive via pain tolerance...

anyway, thanks for taking the time,

Owain
  • hey owain.

Im doing the exmoor beast allso, i do a hard 25 mile every other day and then a fairly big ride at the wk end around 70 or so miles. My plan now is to keep to the mid wk 25 miles and from hear on in do 100 miles at the wk end which i feel isnt going to be a problem.
    I think if you can get out a few times in the wk and try and do a century before the big day you will have no problems.
  • woodycct wrote:
    hey owain.

Im doing the exmoor beast allso, i do a hard 25 mile every other day and then a fairly big ride at the wk end around 70 or so miles. My plan now is to keep to the mid wk 25 miles and from hear on in do 100 miles at the wk end which i feel isnt going to be a problem.
    I think if you can get out a few times in the wk and try and do a century before the big day you will have no problems.

thanks for that.. my riding is inconistent (2 kids, full time work and no oppotunity to commute).... I've been trying to slip in a couple of 25-40mile ride in the week, then the odd turbo sesh... I just need to try and make time for longer rides... I'll try and do a 60+ this weekend and aim for more next weekend...
  • Yeah its the same situation for me owain, I have kids and work prob way too much (not trying to up you mate;) I get home at 8 pm and then go out for a hour, it is bit of a pain especially as the crappy weather is drawing in but it will make the big day 10 times easyer.
    I do think a turbo might be your answer for in the week if your finding it hard to get outh though :)

good luck.
  • woodycct wrote:
    Yeah its the same situation for me owain, I have kids and work prob way too much (not trying to up you mate;) I get home at 8 pm and then go out for a hour, it is bit of a pain especially as the crappy weather is drawing in but it will make the big day 10 times easyer.
    I do think a turbo might be your answer for in the week if your finding it hard to get outh though :)

good luck.

I have a turbo (on long term loan), so I'll try and squeeze in a couple of sessions on that. what sort of intervals do you reckon are best?