Giant Reign 2010 upated 14/06/12

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    nice one ally looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet as...

is that a kmc chain you got there.... i just got a gold kmc for the chromag, gonna be doing a rebuild on her soon new drive train ect,, would like to change fork to but money is a massive issue at the minute..

looks so sweet in white... can't wait to see the finished product with decals,
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Cheers, yeah Kmc chain, decals can't get hold of the guy so may end up with some of ebay yet........
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks nice. Needs a coil shock though :-)
  • 1mancity2
    Looks nice. Needs a coil shock though :-)

Thought about it long and hard, maybe if this one dies, did start squeaking at me hitting the DH stuff up Gizzy!!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Cheers for this it looks good as it is! I am thinking of doing the same but getting it powder coated. No idea which colour though, like the idea of matt black/charcoal...
  • 1mancity2
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Cheers for this it looks good as it is! I am thinking of doing the same but getting it powder coated. No idea which colour though, like the idea of matt black/charcoal...

I was going to powder mine but when I did my Trance I found the powder was a bit soft for the abuse it took, 2 pack is much harder than powder especially if primed right.

You could go 2 pack epoxy primer then powder that would give a really deep finish, matt black is good take a look at my dmr in my sig.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Am hearing some stories that Powder Coating is not good for the Alu frame because of the high temperature involved, anyone got advice on that?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Am hearing some stories that Powder Coating is not good for the Alu frame because of the high temperature involved, anyone got advice on that?
    If that's the case how come you can buy alu frames that are powder coated as stock?

Removing powder coatings however...
  • 1mancity2
    Powder is fine its cured at 190 for 15mins, to damaged a frame would take a higher temp and a lot longer bake, unless the frame has poor/weak welds then you may have a problem.

I'd say we have coated around 100 frames over the years and never had a problem.

As for removing it.........
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    That bike looks amazing, very jealous here :evil:
  • 1mancity2
    Cheers changed again, saint rear mech and shifter and gone 1x9 will get some new pic up soon.
  • 1mancity2
    Ok been tinkering and riding style has improved so the bike has taken the DH/Freeride route and here she is,

2010 Giant Reign frame with fox dhx dc2 coil shock, custom paint
    Rockshox Domain 160mm
    Running 1x9 gearing, Saint shifter and Mech
    Shimano Saint Single ring cranks with Superstar Nano, ,custom paint
    Brian Lopes chain device
    Hope Pro2 hubs laced to Mavic EN521 Rims
    Hope M4 Brakes with Hope floating rotors, 203mm both ends
    Rockshox Reverb seatpost, Sdg saddle
    Hope 70mm OS stem with Renthal Fatbar cut to 760mm 10 mm rise
    Panaracer Fire FR tyres 2.4 Front and Back

New Saint Rear Mech,
    Picture422.jpg

Brian Lopes chain device,
    Picture424.jpg

Fox Dhx Rc2 coil shock,
    Picture421.jpg

Full bike,
    Picture423.jpg

Picture420.jpg
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Looking good mate, them tyres are huuuuuuuge :)
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    Looking good mate, them tyres are huuuuuuuge :)

Yeah and they have massive side ramps for cornering, cheap as well bud :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats really nice. I could use something like that myself.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    that coil should bring the bike to live.. i know it did when i put the dhx 4.0 on my heckler.. i only ever rode the butcher with a coil shock...

but sorry i have to say dont like those red sidewalls... they are huge...
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Get some red grips on it !

Had a white bike before, with red walled panny's and looked spot on with some red grips.

Can't wait to see them, they look stupidly big! (in a good way :) )

Hmm, wonder how they'd look on the enduro.....
  • 1mancity2
    delcol wrote:
    that coil should bring the bike to live.. i know it did when i put the dhx 4.0 on my heckler.. i only ever rode the butcher with a coil shock...

but sorry i have to say dont like those red sidewalls... they are huge...

Cheers guys, Col I hate the red but they are massive and just give me that extra in the corners and jumps, way way bigger than 2.5 Maxxis.
  • bennett_346
    And red is faster.
  • 1mancity2
    Went up Gizzy this afternoon and..omg how good are coil shocks!!

I hit the leap of faith and bang, so easy to get the bike airbourne, the coil just gives you so much more pop, we were getting at least 6ft of height, hit the dh and the rough stuff is now really flowing instead of managable.

The bike just tracks the floor so much better, but it has shown up how poor the domains can be in corners......
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'm having very good times with my Lyric RC2 DH - will be a lot lighter than the domain too... But thinking back to when I ran Van36s, the Lyrics don't feel quite as liquid. I'm dead happy with them, but they've not got that coil feeling. They're pricey new but then I get everything second hand :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have got a Lyrik RC2DH & Domain RC. You would be surprised just how good the Domain is. It's more plush than the Lyrik, just looses out when things get really rough at high speed & the damper can't quite keep up. I think the plushness of the Domain is down to the chrome plated steel stanchion which is also what makes it heavy.
    The Domains work best with the absolute minimum compression damping you can get away with and fairly slow rebound. TF Tuned can do mods to them to improve the damping.
    Coil shocks are the future, so much plusher and better controlled. Shame Ti springs are so expensive though.
  • bennett_346
    So really it's just coil vs air not lyrik vs domain?
  • rockmonkeysc
    My Lyriks are coil. I didn't like the air Lyriks at all. Coil is much nicer.
  • 1mancity2
    I have got a Lyrik RC2DH & Domain RC. You would be surprised just how good the Domain is. It's more plush than the Lyrik, just looses out when things get really rough at high speed & the damper can't quite keep up. I think the plushness of the Domain is down to the chrome plated steel stanchion which is also what makes it heavy.
    The Domains work best with the absolute minimum compression damping you can get away with and fairly slow rebound. TF Tuned can do mods to them to improve the damping.
    Coil shocks are the future, so much plusher and better controlled. Shame Ti springs are so expensive though.

Agree they are really stiff and only get out of shape on really rough and often hits, I thought about a new damper, would the rc2dh damper fit?

Other than that they are really good, weight dosn't bother me, used to it now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Pretty sure the mission control damper won't fit. The steel stanchions have a different internal diameter to the aluminium ones on the Lyriks.
    I'm sure TF Tuned can do something with them though.
  • A planty
    A planty Posts: 47
    Lookin well sweet !!! How does the chain device attach I've been told the BB's are press fit so can't take a device???????????
    And this leap of faith isn't that in kinver ?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    A planty wrote:
    Lookin well sweet !!! How does the chain device attach I've been told the BB's are press fit so can't take a device???????????

Im guessing that as this is the 2010 model, it has a standard threaded bb shell? The newer models have the pressfit which stops you fitting a bb mounted guide. You could probably bodge something with a superstar seat tube mounted guide on the top and a bionicon c guide on the chainstay though.
  • 1mancity2
    leaflite wrote:
    A planty wrote:

Im guessing that as this is the 2010 model, it has a standard threaded bb shell? The newer models have the pressfit which stops you fitting a bb mounted guide. You could probably bodge something with a superstar seat tube mounted guide on the top and a bionicon c guide on the chainstay though.

Correct..