Rollers or a turbo trainer? Noisey?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Thinking about getting either some rollers or a turbo trainer to keep my fitness levels up a bit over the winter months.

Wondering about the plus and minus to both. More important is how much noise they make, I'll probably be using it late evening when the children are in bed/misses watching TV and our flat is not the biggest.

Is one quieter than the other?

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    both are potentially noisy - rollers probably more so. A lot will depend on what type of turbo you have (ie mag, fluid, fan, etc), but if you are in a flat, probably the biggest issue which you can't do anything about is what kind of floor you have - wooden, concrete - that will make a big difference...especially to your neighbours underneath...
  • Anonymous
    Thanks, luckily we're on the ground floor. Living room is wooden floor which I suspect could be on the noisy side. Kitchen is more solid with lino, so probably a better place.
  • You need to get a dedicated tire too, makes a massive diffeence i found.

I also got some wood and wrapped a cheap yoga matt around it, and the turbo sits on it. You are obvs two inches higher than normal, and think about doing the front wheel too, but it kills almost all the vibration noise. I use mine on a top floor, wooden floors. BUT, i have a magnetic TT, so although its quietened a lot, its still god a whirring and if im pushing it, squealing to it. So, 10pm latest, if im being nice to the neigbors. However, if im working on power, high resistance and slower cadence and speed, then its also quieter.

For me, a TT is a no brainer. just a tad boring, so get movies lned up.
  • +1 for a yoga mat or cheap sleeping/camping mat to deaden noise and catch sweat drops.

Don't forget that anywhere outside undercover will also do even when its quite cold 'cos there's no windchill to speak of. A shed, a cellar, a porch or verandah - or perhaps even a balcony (tho' the stares from passers by might be a bit much!)
  • Anonymous
    That's great, cheers.

Looks like a magnetic turbo trainer, on wood wrapped in a yoga mat it is then.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    It's all immaterial IMHO. If you are going to train seriously on a turbo or rollers then you will need a bl0ddy big fan and the noise of that will drown all but the worst of the worst turbos.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Do you need a spare wheel for a turbo trainer then or do you just swap the tyre over?

Cheers!
  • Spare wheel and dedicated tyre is easiest. Dedicated tyre next best. Road tyre works but will wear quickly and perhaps squre off.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    My fan is definitely louder than both my rollers and my turbo...
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    My (magnetic) turbo sounds like a small aeroplane taking off when I get going. Shed at the bottom of the garden for me (which probably exaggerates the noise), but inside would wake the monsters! I was thinking about getting rollers as well and was hoping they might be quieter??? maybe not. But then they probably wouldn't be used for such intense efforts... Anybody got both and care to share noise levels????
  • Have used rollers and turbos. As previously stated the main noise is the fan(s) that I need to make the sessions worthwhile doing. Both setups are very noisy. The main noise related complaint that I get from my wife is about the obscenities being shouted as I try to make it to the end of the current interval.