CX and MX bike discussion threads...

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I have some major fettling to do to my Kona Jake this weekend if it's going to be ready for it's first race of the season next weekend.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    I have some major fettling to do to my Kona Jake this weekend if it's going to be ready for it's first race of the season next weekend.

The Kona Jake is a lovely bike, post up some pics when ready be nice to see what you've done :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

The Kona Jake is a lovely bike, post up some pics when ready be nice to see what you've done :)

Thank you, sir. Will do.

It's a lovely ride. A bit heavy up the hills, but it's very comfortable and fast enough for me for racing.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

Well, it's not finished (need a front mech) and the wheels are different at the moment, but here it is:

6249257934_3082c0a5a6_z.jpg

Have to run it in the 36 for the moment, so had to shorten the chain.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Well, it's not finished (need a front mech) and the wheels are different at the moment, but here it is:

6249257934_3082c0a5a6_z.jpg

Have to run it in the 36 for the moment, so had to shorten the chain.

Coming along nice, updated my profile sig showing off the CX Karate Monkey Build atm also, feel free to look :)
  • cjcp
    Coming along nice, updated my profile sig showing off the CX Karate Monkey Build atm also, feel free to look :)

Bit more refined than mine! Mine's an almost-complete donor build, so should probably be in the Frankenbike thread.

Is there a little kink in the seat tube? What's the geometry like to ride?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • there is yes, surly made the karate monkey like that to pull in the back wheel further (The karate monkey is a 29er MTB frame), making the frame a bit shorter and snappier. It's a very comfortable ride, speed is there too despite the relaxed geometry but its a trail monster. The only change i'm going to make is the saddle, planning the brooks for it possibly a carridice bag on the post.

Donor builds tend to be the best, I've just recently discovered these bankrupt surplus saracen frames can fit a 35c tyre wheel in, guess I'm going down a similar path mid next year, quite excited!

oh and looks for frankenbike thread :D
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    edited January 2013
    Why the bar-end shifters ? They're sooo last millenium, except on a TT bike...
    Is that to shift an MTB front mech ?

Making an MTB chainset work with brifters seems to be the main problem with building an MX.

This is my attempt

I chose the Giant CRS Hybrid over things like Surly LHT mostly because of the long chainstays. For static stability on steep slopes, and high-speed stability on poor roads. Those are 47mm Smart Sams. 47mm is the biggest thing that fits - well maybe 50mm slicks would work, or maybe could go a bit bigger at the front.

Frankenbike, but over budget for that thread. Note the brifters and the mechs. Original bits are the frame, forks, seat-clamp, and stem spacers. But usually, it has the original 17mm rims, with 28mm slicks.

Back to Coed Y Brenin soon. :P
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Rich158 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Having seen the state of a few mates after CX races I can testify they're properly mental

Yup - any sport where you're expected to carry your bike is properly mental!

What's that all about, riding your road bike through a field is bad enough without random obstacles being placed to make you get off, run for a bit and then try and re-mount at full speed in SPD's, tights and a bobble hat :shock:

That's confirmed it not only are they a bunch of preverts they're also more than a sandwich short of a picnic :wink:

What do you expect of a winter sport devised by Belgians?
  • jejv wrote:

well they work much better than the sti one's, problem? I don't think so and they work flawlessly with the MTB mechs, better than the rapid fires, I can't see a fault :roll:
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    jejv wrote:
    well they work much better than the sti one's, problem? I don't think so and they work flawlessly with the MTB mechs, better than the rapid fires, I can't see a fault :roll:
    When Aye were a lad we had one speed.
    If we were lucky. :shock:

Had downtube friction shifters in the 80's, and I can understand why some folks would still want them for trekking across Mongolia.

But now we have brifters and things like EZ-Fire (no, I'm not joking, I think the ergonomics are really good, I'd like them in 9-speed), and I can change gear without taking my hand off the bars - maybe even without taking my fingers off the brakes. Which - for me - is an amazing leap forward in safety, control and convenience, for an urban commute, or on singletrack.

So there's no going back. If I have to modify a (long pull) Shimano MTB mech to work with Campy or Shimano brifters, so be it.

To me, the drop bars are a bit of a FAIL. I'd prefer to be on the hoods with MTB controls. Don't use the drops much. But no-one makes such a bar, and my attempts to and my attempts to find someone who can accurately bend - say - 1040 DOM steel failed. I'd like something not far off a 22.2mm pursuit bar. I could be on the hoods with hydraulic discs.
  • cjcp
    CX bikes are awesome.

Just back from two laps of the trail in a stunning, frost-bitten Richmond Park. Saw the sun come up. Great workout. Was going faster than some roadies in certain parts because the surface isn't as slippery.

Still grinning.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    CX bikes are awesome.

Just back from two laps of the trail in a stunning, frost-bitten Richmond Park. Saw the sun come up. Great workout. Was going faster than some roadies in certain parts because the surface isn't as slippery.

Still grinning.

Indeed they are, i'm just off to the turbo dungeon for a quick arse kicking then it's out in the forest I go, these frozen winter mornings make the usual gooey mud trails just about rideable.

PS. in other news I've decided to increase the amount of Dura Ace kit on my CX to erm .... all of it :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    cjcp wrote:
    CX bikes are awesome.

Still grinning.
    I really should do that. Problem is Sunday is my lazy day and I was lying in bed drinking my first cup of tea as you wrote that.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    rode in on my CX today, need to put 40km in before the terrible weather comes to fix my studs into my tyres. it was so much slower than my roadie with exactly the same gearing but much much wider tyres. gone from a 23mm slick to a 38mm with knobblies and studs
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    I'm almost as pervy as everyone on this thread, just recieved an email that my new bike is on the way. It's more MX than CX (well, when I put the dropbars on) and it's GREEN. When the bike arives I'll post some pics. I'll be bouncing up and down till it arives on Wednesday/Thursday, I can't wait :)
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Libraio wrote:
    I'm almost as pervy as everyone on this thread, just recieved an email that my new bike is on the way. It's more MX than CX (well, when I put the dropbars on) and it's GREEN. When the bike arives I'll post some pics. I'll be bouncing up and down till it arives on Wednesday/Thursday, I can't wait :)

I upgraded mine with some nice spike tyres, how much fun in this snow and ice? :lol:
  • Libraio
    Libraio wrote:

I upgraded mine with some nice spike tyres, how much fun in this snow and ice? :lol:

Is yours GREEN??? An did it come from a man with a beard?
    No snow and ice here in The Netherlands at the moment (and even though I bought this GREEN monster so I can run spiked tires I'm kinda hoping it stays this way). I'm looking forward to ridding around on Big Apples and running over everything in my path in comfort.
  • cjcp
    Looking forward to an early morning blast on Friday before the kids get up. No snow and ice down here. Just muddy puddles.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Snow studs on mine now I do hope it's still there when i get home :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Mrs TGOTB has started to ask how I manage to cover myself in mud on the way home from work...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Mrs TGOTB has started to ask how I manage to cover myself in mud on the way home from work...

easy, hard-core off-road sex?
  • cjcp
    Pleasant ride on the trail with Gussio early yesterday morning. Wanted to go out this morning, but a late night last night put paid to that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Went out yesterday on a potential "night ride" but got a huge piece of glass lodged into the front tyre, repaired it, then my skewer snapped 20 mile away from home, tip of the day never buy halo allen key / allen key skewers in general!
  • cjcp
    then my skewer snapped 20 mile away from home,

Ai carumba! Was it a fairly dramatic event?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    then my skewer snapped 20 mile away from home,

Ai carumba! Was it a fairly dramatic event?

it seemed to be at first, however, take a look at these, it snapped at the opposite end to the tightening bolt (tension was weak as I wobbled the wheel before tightening)

the cure was to remove the snapped end then unscrew the snapped part of the bolt. take out the bolt from the other end and bolt it on again held on by one side, luckily the bolt was slightly bigger than the axel hole and crawl home to safety. so in effect its a bit like a lefty conversion.

turning was a fight as it swerved also braking was a nightmare so had to take it easy but no damage! never getting those again, second time its happened, luckily the first time was at home and not so far away!
  • cjcp
    A fantastic three laps of RP this morning on the CX.

A PB on the first lap, then, while I was pootling and taking in some water about half a mile into the second lap, a chap on a SS crosser came past, so I spent another two laps trying to keep him in sight. Just about managed it. Fortunately, you can see quite a long way in RP when there are no leaves on the trees...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Have decided MTBs are too heavy and road bikes are for girls... :D Besides, where i live its hilly as hell, wet leaves on twisty trafficy 30mph downills with side pull brakes and slick tyres?! Er, no.

Deffo summer project will be a monster crosser, i've played enough with drop bar MTBs to have the bits in the garage and i've seen a nice kona sutra frame on cheap in just my size...
  • all good all good!
  • Libraio
    Recieved a big box containing pure green filth on Thursday. Inside was the basis of my MX bike. A SS Van Dessel WTF.
    6583610141_7404047ebf.jpg
    BB7 road calipers are on it's way (early january) and a couple of wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide slicks (Marathon Supreme 28x2.0) have been ordered on Friday. As soon as the brakes are here I will fit dropbars and Shimano Aero brakelevers.
    I need to take a cold shower now, I feel very perverted... :D

Oh, pic was taken on Boxing Day on a nice pootle with SWMBO through coastal dunes north of The Hague. Very pretty over there.
    6583614823_b54d103ac1.jpg