Phone Upgrade Time

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    According to my good friend Mr Pope, the only way to stay safe is abstinence.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    deadkenny wrote:
    And this from a linux based OS. Where is all the "I'm safe, I use linux" now?

is linux that stuff you put on kitchen floors?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yeah, but you have to wear sandals
  • djbarren wrote:
    Read THIS last night and it does worry me.

So I think that this is my only option nokia.jpg:wink:

But then again, you use an operating system now, which will have malware programmed for it by sad people with nothing better to do, all smart phones will be effected by some sort of virus some time and a quick google search would bring up an article about any OS being the worst, hit rates and SEO work for websites somehow.
    yeehaamcgee
    The Microsoft phone OS is rubbish in comparison to the competition though.... end of!

100% agree, don't even get me started on the MS market place!

Surely it can't be as bad as the Android one (where most of the stuff is either malware or won't work on your handset due to fragmentation)?

:wink:

Believe me it's worse, all market place's have crapware in them let's be honest but when introduced to WM6.5 at the time of getting into the smart phone scene when nothing worked at all is another thing. Relying on 3rd party developers to make something is just insane.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Android are the most locked down hand sets of all with interfering network branding & demos you can't remove, HTC also require an extra hack to rooting, s-off. Once this has been done a quick removal of the crapware and finally its a good OS, as long as you stay off the market. where androids openness comes from the dev side, hence all the crapware in there.

Iponce have stricter dev to app, which is good but they also restrict apps that dont appeal to their taste. A bonus of this I see is no provider tampering & deal with Apple shop not the phoneshop numpties.

I have been waiting for a new upgrade to my desire but nothing really improves unless it has a mammoth screen size that would be battered to an inch of its life if it fit in my pocket. Being sucked in by the HTC bass if its got dual core bling, depends on the new ipoo tech.

• Believe me it's worse, all market place's have crapware in them let's be honest but when introduced to WM6.5 at the time of getting into the smart phone scene when nothing worked at all is another thing. Relying on 3rd party developers to make something is just insane.

Thing is Windows Phone 7 shares almost nothing with WinMo 6.5... that also goes for the apps (I remember my HD Touch running WinMo 6...pure pish until I rooted it and had custom roms)
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    With the delay from usual release timeframe they are milking the i4 its hard to tell whether its going to be a cheap rebuild of 4 or pull something big outa the bag and making sure it works out of the box could be the cause of the delay. It's all just a wait n see thing with those crazy cats at Apple suing everyone & they mamma, just make the fudging product better than the others an quit whining when other manufactures realise how good it is
  • bushu wrote:
    Android are the most locked down hand sets of all with interfering network branding & demos you can't remove, HTC also require an extra hack to rooting, s-off. Once this has been done a quick removal of the crapware and finally its a good OS, as long as you stay off the market. where androids openness comes from the dev side, hence all the crapware in there.

Iponce have stricter dev to app, which is good but they also restrict apps that dont appeal to their taste. A bonus of this I see is no provider tampering & deal with Apple shop not the phoneshop numpties.

I have been waiting for a new upgrade to my desire but nothing really improves unless it has a mammoth screen size that would be battered to an inch of its life if it fit in my pocket. Being sucked in by the HTC bass if its got dual core bling, depends on the new ipoo tech.

I totally agree about the removal of the standard O/S shipped with the android devices!

Believe me it's worse, all market place's have crapware in them let's be honest but when introduced to WM6.5 at the time of getting into the smart phone scene when nothing worked at all is another thing. Relying on 3rd party developers to make something is just insane.

Thing is Windows Phone 7 shares almost nothing with WinMo 6.5... that also goes for the apps (I remember my HD Touch running WinMo 6...pure pish until I rooted it and had custom roms)

As the 6.5 disappointed me so much I never did chance the 7 market place, good to hear it improved! I might have a dabble sometime but as stated the Android OS just seems to be me at the minute.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    djbarren wrote:
    What is the likelyhood of this new Iphone being good?

if its anything like any of the previous models, it will be completely tosh. and not in a good way.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    djbarren wrote:
    What is the likelyhood of this new Iphone being good?

iPhones are wicked.
  • mcafee_malware.jpg

Aaw, no IOS in the Malware list... Apple must be doing something wrong.. Ah, yes they vet their Apps before listin them on their App Store

How unfair is that? Depriving iPhone users from becoming victims of Malware.
  • Anonymous
    The indignity of it eh? If someone wants malware on their phones, then they should be ALLOWED malware on their phones :lol:

Actually, I did get spammed the other day from somebody's iPhone. They'd installed some messaging app, and it proceeded to send emails to everyone in his adress book advertising itself.
    Not particularly virulent malware, granted, but it still shouldn't do that :?
  • Exactly, like I said before it can happen to anyone, i'm sure the guys at Google will do something about it just stick to the obvious don't download the old pirate material, have a virus scanner etc etc, it can happen to anyone.
  • *Sigh* a virus scanner on a phone OS, how f***ing sad is that?
  • Anonymous
    *Sigh* a virus scanner on a phone OS, how f***ing sad is that?
    Did you hear about the AVG "scanner" on winPhone 7? It doesn;t actually (can't, actually) scan for anything except the name of some jpg files, and al it really does is send you location data and email details back to AVG :lol:
    Dodgy ba*tards
  • *Sigh* a virus scanner on a phone OS, how f***ing sad is that?

I don't get how that's sad? bit puzzled here :?
  • cooldad
    You wouldn't understand unless you are sad enough to get damp over phone operating systems.
    Real people couldn't give a toss.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • God this is one uptight forum, sorry for trying to help :roll:
  • God this is one uptight forum, sorry for trying to help :roll:

I appreciate your efforts (and think you deserve a medal for enduring WinMo 6.5).

Some people just get a wee bit worked up when it comes to product evangelism ;)

Technologically, everything has it's merits
  • cooldad
    God this is one uptight forum, sorry for trying to help :roll:
    This Interesting info on phones should cheer you up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Well if that's all it takes... Many thanks for you're input, your most welcome :)
    Technologically, everything has it's merits

Totally agree there, what's best for the next person may not be the best for me exactly.
  • cooldad wrote:

awesome, and because you're humour is brilliant and you know anything about everything, please take an extra brain cell and a t-shirt to show everyone how really great you are.
  • I was hoping for the "3 wolf moon" T shirt there
  • I was hoping for the "3 wolf moon" T shirt there

yeah sorry to disappoint you :lol:
  • Anonymous
    yeah sorry to disappoint you :lol:
    Your idiocy has done many things, but it has not disappointed us. In fact, it goes far deeper than we'd ever thought possible. Bravo.
  • yeah sorry to disappoint you :lol:
    Your idiocy has done many things, but it has not disappointed us. In fact, it goes far deeper than we'd ever thought possible. Bravo.

You're google fu is strong, but underestimated, "the worlds best (but not so good) quotations" did not prove you quite as clever as you looked to be weak MTB'er...
  • Anonymous
    And once again your idiocy and meaningless babbling has failed to disappoint us.
  • And once again your idiocy and meaningless babbling has failed to disappoint us.

ah a repeat of our last forum meet, how original, anyhow :roll:
  • And once again your idiocy and meaningless babbling has failed to disappoint us.

ah a repeat of our last forum meet, how original, anyhow :roll:

And once again your idiocy and meaningless babbling has failed to disappoint us!
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

awesome, and because you're humour is brilliant and you know anything about everything, please take an extra brain cell and a t-shirt to show everyone how really great you are.

I quite like the the pink one as I don't have inadequacy issues.
    Here's one for you
    DM4015m.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools