60 quid for Etape caledonia!!

13»

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    suzyb wrote:
    DaveMoss wrote:
    4) the challenge?...... It isn't really much of a challenge is it? one of the easier sportives around.
    That depends on the rider.
    That's the subtext here - "it's not an event for Real Cyclists"
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Pigtail wrote:
    I only started cycling at the end of last year. I had all the same anxieties we always see here- would a club want me, did I have the right gear, was I fast enough?

With the Etape Caledonia there was none of that, all I needed was a credit card number and I was in. Because I got one of the later charity entries I had to raise £200 for charity in addition to my fee.

I did a recce of a chunk of it a few weeks before and found some issues with vehicles on the part I did, particularly tour buses.

My recollection of the day is a bit of a blur of adrenaline, but I absolutely loved it - I started well back, overtook several thousand people and didn't stop at all. I reached over 40 on the descent.

So it means a lot to me- first big event, one of my best days on a bike, a clear marker of where I was at to check progress next year. £60 is also a bit of a bargain compared with £257 - though the £200 came from family and friends! So I'm in.

This is possibly the best posting on this thread, the "secret society" perception of club cycling has been difficult to shake off. The above comment probably largly explains why sporives in general have become so popular. all I would say is, don't be afraid of entering other sportive events, you would probably find them just as enjoyable and welcoming. also, most club's would be gald to have you, give it a try.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Great atmosphere, great course and well marshalled. Oh and the accomodation is pretty good too!! :wink:

I am in for 2012, maybe my last one, but want to give it a go for a good time. Should get sub 4.30, but would like to be closer to 4.15..... now can I train enough for sub 4...... :?:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I am in for 2012, maybe my last one, but want to give it a go for a good time. :

Are you giving it up for super-stardom at the World Stone Skimming Championships? Do you get a rainbow jersey BTW?
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Completely sold out six months in advance. Even the charity slots have gone. What a bunch of fools eh ;-)

I can't wait ;-)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    thecrofter wrote:
    I am in for 2012, maybe my last one, but want to give it a go for a good time. :

Are you giving it up for super-stardom at the World Stone Skimming Championships? Do you get a rainbow jersey BTW?

No stone skimming this year, will be putting all my efforts into 2012! However, there may be a late bid to make it an Olympic event....

Last one.... who knows, never say never, it's a really good weekend out.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"