60 quid for Etape caledonia!!

s25scd
s25scd Posts: 84
Jeeezzz ,, taking the piss,, last year it was 50 or so now 60. What do you get for 60 quid? a bannana. I pay 60 quid to cycle 81 miles! Think i will look for some audaxes or local events instead of these rip off sportives

END OF RANT

Comments

• s25scd wrote:
    Jeeezzz ,, taking the wee-wee,, last year it was 50 or so now 60. What do you get for 60 quid? a bannana. I pay 60 quid to cycle 81 miles! Think i will look for some audaxes or local events instead of these rip off sportives

END OF RANT

I've been wanting to do this one for a couple of years but keep missing out on the opening date for registration....
    I've just stuck it on the credit card for now although it is a bit steep.....I guess we have to pay for the closed roads, policing etc
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    s25scd wrote:
    What do you get for 60 quid? a bannana. I pay 60 quid to cycle 81 miles!

That's not quite true though is it? You're paying to ride those 81 miles on closed roads. If you don't think the £60 is worth it you can always go up there any time you like and ride the same roads for nowt.
  • It is expensive - however IMO £60 on closed roads with the big atmosphere the event attracts is far better value than £25-£35 on open roads.
  • MrChuck wrote:
    s25scd wrote:
    What do you get for 60 quid? a bannana. I pay 60 quid to cycle 81 miles!

That's not quite true though is it? You're paying to ride those 81 miles on closed roads. If you don't think the £60 is worth it you can always go up there any time you like and ride the same roads for nowt.

Exactly,,, lets face it, the majority of roads in Scotland are traffic free, the etape is mostly B roads anyway and no i dont think its value for money, so wont be doing it.
  • Yep agree its expensive, but I've signed up anyway - if nowt else it will keep me focussed on training! Havent done it before, but closed road is attractive to me.
  • £60 quid is a lot of money, but it was £57 this year, so not a big difference. Is it the most expensive sportive on the calendar?

Also they should drop the goody bags this year's were keech. Just some tourist brochures and a couple of gels IIRC. a bit of an insult I thought.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Garryboy wrote:
    Yep agree its expensive, but I've signed up anyway - if nowt else it will keep me focussed on training! Havent done it before, but closed road is attractive to me.
    Did it this year a group of 10 of us, in total it cost me circa £400 with b&b, meals, petrol entry fee, an experience but nothing that special, you inevitably try to get round as quick as you can so head down and miss most of scenery. A few days winter training camp in southern europe wouldn't be much more expensive i don't think!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • s25scd wrote:
    i dont think its value for money, so wont be doing it.

Part of the entry fee goes to a very worthwhile charity, you get more than a banana at the feed stops, it's closed roads, the atmosphere in Pitlochry over the weekend is superb and it's going to sell out anyway - so you wont be missed.

Didn't get to do this year because I got totalled the week before the event (but went along with my group for a bit of moral support) so I'm all signed up for 2012 and I fully intend to raise quite a bit of extra money too.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    £61 is fair enough in my opinion, what with the closed roads, well stocked feeding stations (4), charity donation, Mavic support, completion medal and great organisation. This years was £58 so its not a huge increase. I do agree with the goody bags though, they were nothing at all to get excited about. As has been said already it will sell out anyway (over 6000 pre-registered) so most folk think its worth the expense. Anyway I have signed up today and can't wait for it to come around again.
  • Forgot about the Mavic support! One of our lot had a breakdown a third of the way round the course. A Mavic bike stopped and within ten mins my mate was sorted. Mavic also have an area on the Saturday at the registration point where they'll do a bit of free maintenance if required.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    thecrofter wrote:
    £60 quid is a lot of money, but it was £57 this year, so not a big difference. Is it the most expensive sportive on the calendar?

Also they should drop the goody bags this year's were keech. Just some tourist brochures and a couple of gels IIRC. a bit of an insult I thought.
    You got gels? I got the brochures, a bottle of water (!)) and a little packet of some seed or other that was supposed to be healthy.
    I'm certainly not doing it for the goody bag.
  • I'm signed up and so's my colleague. If you think it's too expensive, don't do it - I'm sure there's plenty of folk that will. Simples
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Worth it just to piss off the local inbreds who put nails on the roads in protest.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Worth it just to piss off the local inbreds who put nails on the roads in protest.

:D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I think you're being a little bit unfair to the local inbreds - most of the protesters (in fact there are only a handful really, the official campaign group is pretty much one man) are incomers of the "I've retired to paradise so can the rest of you please keep out" variety.

As for £61, I guess it's just one of those things that illustrates different mindsets: there are plenty of people happy to argue why it's essential to spend over three times that on a pair of sunglasses but can't see the motivation to spend the money for one big event. You can argue that your money is burned in a day but to me it's a whole year of anticipation and motivation, followed by a year of memories and satisfaction.
    I'm paying for a memorable event, a target, a chance to ride on closed roads the whole way ("most roads in Scotland are traffic free" :? try descending the Schiehallion road to the south at 40mph using the whole road any other day of the year!), the feeling of being part of a huge peloton that includes everyone from near pro-level riders to beardies with panniers to grannies on mountain bikes.

If none of that appeals to you, then spend your money on something else, it's your choice. But it's obvious that it is attractive to rather a lot of us.

And on another note... what target times have you put in for? I've gone and done it this time: after two years in a row finishing in 4 1/2 hours while unfit and overweight I've put in for the sub 4 start :shock:
    I really had better get training...
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Well I did my first Etape this year, in fact it was my first sportive. I was very very under prepared with only 4/5 weeks "training", in fact it was the good folks on here that convinced me to go ahead with it only 4 weeks prior to the event, by the way I also followed most of the advice I received on here and it seemed to work, well I got round anyway!!!!

I had put in for a time of 5hrs 30mins plus, and I did it in 6hrs 13mins. Now I know I can do it under 5hrs 30mins with a full years training, not stopping at every feed station, and 1 or 2 less comfort breaks (I believe I was drinking far far too much trying to stay hydrated) So that is what I have went for a time of...sub 5hrs 30mins with a goal of knocking an hour off last years time!

As for "local inbreds" thats wholly unfair, the locals are BRILLIANT, warm, welcoming and fully supportive of the cyclists and the event from what I saw and to those I had conversations with. The local NIMBY's (population: a handful) will never be truly happy with anything in life in my opinion (unless of course a Bollywood film company want to shut the road outside their chocolate shop for TWO or THREE DAYS, compensate you and get some free advertising) and are best ignored.

Yes the local Chocolatier sold his soul for a few Rupee's and in my opinion blew his whole "anti-closed road event argument" right out of the water, so I suspect things will be a lot more quiet from now on in that respect,

£61? I think its worth it, it costs me £20 to watch a Scottish 1st Div football match, which is to be honest sub standard dross and is very very seldom memorable and lasts for 90 minutes, unlike the Etape Caledonia which will last with me for a lifetime!!!!

I just can't wait for it to come around again, and join 5000 positive minded people slog their guts out around beautiful Highland Perthshire!!!!! :D
  • there are plenty of people happy to argue why it's essential to spend over £183 on a pair of sunglasses [/quote

Wow Bomp - are you seriously suggesting that you can get sunglasses for less that £180? Where? No, no, on second thoughts, I don't want to know. :lol:

Signed up and have gone for 4.30. In my stupider moments in the preparation last year, I thought I might manage sub 4. In the end, I did it accurately (4:29:40). I like to start slow and I found my starting wave was a bit fast - so I might take it easy out of the blocks and let the next lot catch me up.

Or better, chain gang for a while with some clubmates until it all really bunches up.

And don't forget to take a turn at the front :D

I stay with a pal of mine who runs a holiday cabins business. The locals are outraged by the tack spreaders.

Wow Bomp - are you seriously suggesting that you can get sunglasses for less that £180? Where? No, no, on second thoughts, I don't want to know. :lol:

Signed up and have gone for 4.30. In my stupider moments in the preparation last year, I thought I might manage sub 4. In the end, I did it accurately (4:29:40). I like to start slow and I found my starting wave was a bit fast - so I might take it easy out of the blocks and let the next lot catch me up.

Or better, chain gang for a while with some clubmates until it all really bunches up.

I stay with a pal of mine who runs a holiday cabins business. The locals are outraged by the tack spreaders.

If this event is big enough to attract my wife and the dog 350 miles north from our home in the East Midlands for a late spring break in Scotland, where we also visit the theatre, go for long walks and have a great opportunity to wind down, then it is worth every penny.

My wife who is not a (keen) cyclist is very much an enthusiastic spectator and talks about this event to her friends. Despite what the local chocolatier says, there is also immense local support for this event.
  • Stedman wrote:
    If this event is big enough to attract my wife and the dog 350 miles north from our home in the East Midlands for a late spring break in Scotland, where we also visit the theatre, go for long walks and have a great opportunity to wind down, then it is worth every penny.

My wife who is not a (keen) cyclist is very much an enthusiastic spectator and talks about this event to her friends. Despite what the local chocolatier says, there is also immense local support for this event.

I bet it brings a huge influx of additional money into the Highlands which has to be good for the economy. Can't do too much harm to the bike industry either.

I've signed up for sub 5:30 though I think I'm doing myself a disservice. That said, I know chasing people down is what really motivates me.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    I'm in and my hotel is booked. This'll be the 5th one for me since 2007.

I really don't have an argument with the price. The cost of closing roads, providing feed stops and the time consuming liaisons with police and local organisations don't suggest to me this is a cheap event to run and therefore I very much doubt there is any profiteering going on.

This event creates a great atmoshphere on the day and frankly it's just a brilliant occasion to be involved in. Agree with what Stedman said. My partner isn't a cyclist and she thought the whole cycling fraternity came across as a great bunch and the event is a terrific advert for cycling.

And the locals are fantastic, they provide great support along the route so I for one don't begrudge my contribution to the local economy for a couple of days.

Got inside 4 and half hours a couple iof times, maybe knock 15 mins of that if I'm not getting too old to improve. :wink:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • bompington wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    £60 quid is a lot of money, but it was £57 this year, so not a big difference. Is it the most expensive sportive on the calendar?

You got gels? I got the brochures, a bottle of water (!)) and a little packet of some seed or other that was supposed to be healthy.
    I'm certainly not doing it for the goody bag.

Ahhh, yes, it was a wee bag of seeds not gels. That was the year before. I don't do it for the goody bag either (just as well) but as I said it is almost insulting now. I only do it for the craic the night before, so see you next year :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rls
    rls Posts: 44
    I've done it twice so far. The first time was when all got held up by the tacks and as soon as I finished I entered for the following year, just to show support. I didn't manage to make it on the day, but I went back this year and had a great time. The closed roads are well worth it and each time I was amazed at how quickly you adapt to using the full width of the road.

I seemed to spend way too much time towing people along, but really had a blast and finished in 4hrs 4 mins after two months of training (I had a good starting base due to a lot of orienteering). The locals were amazing and so many were out cheering you on from their drives and gardens. For next year we have managed to get a B&B in pitlochery and my wife will be showing support to the local Cafes while I'm peddling :)

I was totally humbled by a guy with a rack and mudguards about one third of the way in. I tried to stay with him, but as far as I can tell he didn't bother slowing down for hills and I couldn't stay on his wheel for more than a few miles! Great stuff and I can't wait for next time.

Meanwhile I'm off to the Etape Cymru in a few weeks and can't wait for that either.

Rich
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    s25scd wrote:
    Exactly,,, lets face it, the majority of roads in Scotland are traffic free, the etape is mostly B roads anyway and no i dont think its value for money, so wont be doing it.
    I agree. I hear good things about it, but for me the cost is prohibitive. That's fine, though. I'm sure they won't have any trouble finding cyclists willing to pay, and if the money's going to a worthwhile cause, good on them.

I do object to paying £35 for Obree's sportive: 65 miles, open roads, no charity. There are plenty of sportives run by volunteers who charge less and give all profits to charity.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have never seen the attraction of this event. Do you still need to register the day in advance? This really irked me before as I would have to go there the day before and I dont really want to make two journeys or stay the night at an event that I can drive to in 1 hour.

Sure the roads are closed but as others have pointed out the roads are pretty traffic free any way. I cycle up that way at times and there are far better routes to be had if you are travelling to get to this area. The route is also boring in terms of hills - really only the climb of Scheihallion but its not that bad at all - more of a bump in the road of an otherwise flat 80miles. The scenery is anything but boring though but most people just seem to go flat out and chain gand anyway - you dont take in much scenery that way.

Still it must appeal to thousands(obviously) and many people return year after year so it must have something going for it - some events just generate a buzz and encourage a good atmosphere.
    Brian B.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Brian B wrote:
    Still it must appeal to thousands(obviously) and many people return year after year so it must have something going for it - some events just generate a buzz and encourage a good atmosphere.

Brian,

This event certainly has great buzz and good atmosphere!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Brian B wrote:
    I have never seen the attraction of this event. Do you still need to register the day in advance? This really irked me before as I would have to go there the day before and I dont really want to make two journeys or stay the night at an event that I can drive to in 1 hour.

The Etape Cymru imposes the same requirement, you have to register the day before. Great if you're travelling and staying in the area, but if you intend to travel to the event in the morning because you're reasonable local (say up to 2 hours away) it's a nuisance. Doesn't exactly play the 'green card' well either.

Ah well, they must have their reasons I suppose, they will surely have looked at all the options :?:
  • Swithering.

I managed round in 4h12m last year and convinced myself I'd never match or beat that so didn't enter this year. However, there might be a crowd of us going for a relaxed 5h30 time slot.

As for the cost - it's worth remembering that a lot of the money goes towards a very worthwhile charity. Marie Curie will expect to receive somewhere in excess of £400,000 from this event.
  • Ah well, they must have their reasons I suppose, they will surely have looked at all the options

The reason is to make sure people spend the night before in the local area and thereby drop a good few quid into the local economy. Cynical? Moi?