What gloves for winter?

2»

Comments

• Yes - I can't recommend the Assos system highly enough. I know people will baulk at the price but just shop carefully and, if like me you put in the winter hours/miles, your hands will thank you.

I'm another Baa Baa, Woolie Boolie & RW80 user too. With this morning's temp at 4C, it won't be long before I'm dusting them off. There's something deeply satisfying about being able to simply ignore the weather and get on with your ride.

Ouch 4C already, then I realised that you're waaay up north. Still mild in London, but I do feel the cold. Years of being in the sub continent.

It's always possible to hunt around to find a set of the Assos glove system somewhere on sale. I think I paid £60 ish from Ribble one summer.

How good are the woolie boolies...can wear them all week, smell free :)
    Commuter: Litespeed Sienna, DA 7800
    Sunday Best: Cervelo S2 DA 7900
    Winter Hack: Cannondale Badboy discs for those really snowy commutes
    Spare: Trek 1200 (ali) with 9sd 105
    HED V04 TT being built
  • Layering is what i do and obviously just vary as it gets colder;

Mits > Mitts with long finger liner > winter gloves > winter gloves + liner

I bought very cheap silk liner gloves from Decathlon, I think they were £3, I wear them under mits when it's getting a bit chilly, then under winter gloves when it's very cold. If it's too warm I take out the liner glove and shove them in a pocket, they're really small and so no bother. TBF they fall apart after one winter but for £3 I'm not complaining.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    bluehelmet wrote:
    Another one with specialized sub zero for when it's properly cold (as in freezing, clue is in the name.) and some Gore windproof for when it's too cold for mitts but too warm for the sub zeroes...

Exactly the combination I have too.
  • Right, just pulled the trigger on some Gore Bike Wear Power SO winter gloves. Will let you all know how they work out.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Icebreaker merino inners under Sealskinz, but not until Jan / Feb.
  • Right, just pulled the trigger on some Gore Bike Wear Power SO winter gloves. Will let you all know how they work out.

Aaaand I've just cancelled the order from Wiggle (sorry Wiggle), as I found the same gloves, in the same size and colour on eBay with no bids for a tenner. Snaffled. :D
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Anyone use the SPEG SiberDry winter gloves? - http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... ulate.aspx

I have just bought a pair, although they did keep my hands nice and warm im not too impressed ( not sure what i was expecting) with the breathabilty. When i got home after my not too energetic 20mile ride the inside fleece lining was soaking wet so im guessing another 20mile further and i would be pouring the sweat out. I have to say the same goes for my SPEG AVERT mk3 jacket, my arms get totally soaking with sweat, the cuffs are literally dripping wet and i have to turn it inside out when i get home to dry it. At least if the sweat cant get out then the rain wont be getting in in a hurry but at the moment they are both pretty much boil in the bag.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Anyone use the SPEG SiberDry winter gloves? - http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... ulate.aspx

I have just bought a pair, although they did keep my hands nice and warm im not too impressed ( not sure what i was expecting) with the breathabilty. When i got home after my not too energetic 20mile ride the inside fleece lining was soaking wet so im guessing another 20mile further and i would be pouring the sweat out. I have to say the same goes for my SPEG AVERT mk3 jacket, my arms get totally soaking with sweat and i have to turn it inside out when i get home to dry it. At least if the sweat cant get out then the rain wont be getting in in a hurry but at the moment they are both pretty much boil in the bag.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    t4tomo wrote:
    jodypress wrote:
    I was at the point of using my Ski Gloves.

thats what I use when it gets really cold. might as well get some more use out of them

I've got some skiing gloves (from TKMaxx). About £25 and much warmer than any cycling gloves (after all, skiiers are faster than we are and stand around for longer!) - I'll probably use latex gloves under them as well as I doubt they'll be warm enough on their own given my circulation!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I have a old pair of Northface windstoppers quite thin, but thats all i need, bare in mind i run very hot.

most of winter is spent making others feel over dressed....
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Mr Plum wrote:

I am awaiting delivery, my hands tend to run cool to alright so after reading they made someones hands sweat they sound perfect for me and I have a pair of thin merino liners anyway just in case with my all the time at the moment.
  • I asked my most bikey pal this a couple of winters ago.

His somewhat surprising answer was "Go to M&S and get a pair of ordinary leather gloves. They will keep you going through anything and leave you able to feel"

He was absolutely right. They only last a season or two, but kept me going comfortably through the cold last year, even on days when the juice in my bidon froze on my commute.

Cheap, and I get an perverse pleasure from NOT having bought fancy cycling gear.
  • I've wasted nearly £60 on expensive gloves this Winter that left my fingers stinging they were that cold after only 7 miles. I then bought some Planet X £5 winter gloves "because I was there" and couldn't believe how great they were in comparison! I did a 52 mile cycle today and 35 miles in it rained for the rest of the way home. My hands and fingers were lovely and warm! I can't see them lasting for many seasons so I'm going to buy a few more pairs.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    My Mrs bought me a pair of SealSkinz ultra grips, they seem pretty good

the fit is a bit iffy though on my little fingers
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The Siber dry gloves came up too short on the fingers even though I went for large, will see how the xlarge are, I do have big hands/long fingers though and I was on the cusp of the two sizes so my fault for being conservative