What gloves for winter?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Riding in this morning an my little pinkies were freezing until i had warmed up

im guessing mitts are useless in the winter as you will still get cold fingers

so its gloves, when riding mtb I would normally wear Berghaus polartech fleece gloves uber toasty an pretty good in the wet too although with a severe drenching they would end up soaked through

so what are your recommendations

also do you guys match your clothing colours to your bike or is that a bit ocd?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I go foor a two pronged attack, when it's too cold for mitts I switch to waterproof long finger gloves, I currently use Specialized but there are plenty on the market. When it gets realy cold and icy in the depths of winter I've got some Endura thermal jobs that are lovely and toasty, they are however to warm for anything but sub-zero temperatures
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There's a thread over in Commuting General on exactly this. Gore winter gloves. Expensive but worth every penny.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Assos glove system is the best and, unfortunately, the most expensive. You could, however, cobble together your own version of this layering system.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have even been known to wear my huge lobster claw motorcycling gauntlets (at.minus 10)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Got a Specialized pair last winter. Has a thin lycra-ish glove as a base layer and then it has an outer glove for the wet days. Personally I find that the thin glove is good enough for all but the worst days.

I recommend them. Fair price and well made.
  • Losbters are brilliant at properly low temperatures.

The neoprene gloves are great when it's fairly mild as they stay warm when wet and they keep the wind out.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Assos glove system is the best and, unfortunately, the most expensive. You could, however, cobble together your own version of this layering system.

that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    gore winter gloves for the real cold and wet days, from october to mid november long fingered windstoppers from gore.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Losbters are brilliant at properly low temperatures.

The neoprene gloves are great when it's fairly mild as they stay warm when wet and they keep the wind out.

argh!! i have got Rock Lobster stuck in my head now......

thanks all i will take a look
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    still on mitts at the moment although I have put eth arm warmers on with the tshirt for the morning run. must be colder up north
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    still on mitts at the moment although I have put eth arm warmers on with the tshirt for the morning run. must be colder up north

The forecast was for 4C this morning but it was 8C when I got up. Still, I began thinking about long finger gloves for the first time - they kick in at around 5C along with knee coverage.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Mitts today! Was cold, although the short sleeves meant my arms felt colder than my hands.

In winter I wear sealskinz glove liners (a little over a tenner) under various gloves depending on temp. If it's really cold I have some Specialized Sub Zero gloves (these have 2 separate layers) which are far too warm above 0 degrees.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I wear these from PI they got me though the snow last winter fine never felt the need for other gloves but then i was in fingerless gloves till december, don't seem to feel the cold in my hands or feet.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Was about 4C on way in this morning. Had lightweight full finger gloves, but could still feel the chill. Shorts are fine down to -5C. Merino Bah Bah socks are super....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    in mitts today and was also thinking about long finger gloves.

During the winter I use Endura Dexters for the most part and when it gets really cold; below -5 then I switch to some thermal thick gloves from Trek.

My feet were freezing this morning though; time to look for the thermal socks
  • I love my SealSkinz Lobster gloves when it's properly baltic, -5 or less, I also have a nice pair of Giro Bravo gloves which are great above 5 degrees, it's for the days between these temps I'm looking for something.

I do have some Campagnolo TXN ones, but after two winters they're starting to lose their ability to keep me warm below zero.
  • I get really cold hands so I have some Raleigh fleece ones and when its really cold (i.e. below 10C) I use North Wave Artics
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I love my SealSkinz Lobster gloves when it's properly baltic, -5 or less, I also have a nice pair of Giro Bravo gloves which are great above 5 degrees, it's for the days between these temps I'm looking for something.

I do have some Campagnolo TXN ones, but after two winters they're starting to lose their ability to keep me warm below zero.

Yay to Sealskinz lobsters - they are dead good for anything below about 3 degrees . . .

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-winte ... n=products
  • Another one with specialized sub zero for when it's properly cold (as in freezing, clue is in the name.) and some Gore windproof for when it's too cold for mitts but too warm for the sub zeroes...
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Anyone use the SPEG SiberDry winter gloves? - http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... ulate.aspx
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I guess no one who commutes regularly will have noticed what is being said here, but people are casually commenting on cycling to work when the temp drops below -5C.

I did several runs last year when it was lower than this and can testify to the effectiveness of wearing the right gear and being able to cycle in when it is bitterly cold

(I use an Altura Nightvision, thermal base layer, buff, thinsulate gloves, merino bah bah inside MW80s and either thermal bib-tights or bib-shorts and (proper thick) thermal tights - and they work!)

I did have a couple of issues with tingly fingers when setting off, but after a few miles everything was lovely and toasty.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    For gloves I find Seal Skinz work very well indeed and I have hopeless circulation! So get cold easily.
  • willy b wrote:
    For gloves I find Seal Skinz work very well indeed and I have hopeless circulation! So get cold easily.

Which Seal Skins have you got? I'm serioudly not looking forward to another winter as I've got similar problems with lame circulation and in really cold days get really painful hands when they warm.

My Endura's and Decathlon gloves just don't do the trick.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    At the moment I am still in shorts and mitts

When it is sub zero I have some cheap ski mitts. Even in Devon this is most mornings in Febuary
  • The winter gloves are good from sealskinz, but the extreme winter gloves are amzingly toasty... The mittens kick it up another notch.
  • I guess no one who commutes regularly will have noticed what is being said here, but people are casually commenting on cycling to work when the temp drops below -5C.

I did several runs last year when it was lower than this and can testify to the effectiveness of wearing the right gear and being able to cycle in when it is bitterly cold

(I use an Altura Nightvision, thermal base layer, buff, thinsulate gloves, merino bah bah inside MW80s and either thermal bib-tights or bib-shorts and (proper thick) thermal tights - and they work!)

I did have a couple of issues with tingly fingers when setting off, but after a few miles everything was lovely and toasty.

I totally agree, it's all down to the right gear. I've tried many gloves over the years and finally got the Assos Winter system (on sale over summer in 09) and they are by far the best over the last two winters. I was at the point of using my Ski Gloves.

Only issue is when it's snowing, then I get off the road bike, and hop on my MTB and put on the ski goggles :) I get crazy looks but soo much better than tubing it.

Gear wise, I use Long sleeve Baa Baa under a Mavis Inferno Jacket, some super thick thermal bib tights and woolie boolies with my Shimano RW80
    Commuter: Litespeed Sienna, DA 7800
    Sunday Best: Cervelo S2 DA 7900
    Winter Hack: Cannondale Badboy discs for those really snowy commutes
    Spare: Trek 1200 (ali) with 9sd 105
    HED V04 TT being built
  • Yes - I can't recommend the Assos system highly enough. I know people will baulk at the price but just shop carefully and, if like me you put in the winter hours/miles, your hands will thank you.

I'm another Baa Baa, Woolie Boolie & RW80 user too. With this morning's temp at 4C, it won't be long before I'm dusting them off. There's something deeply satisfying about being able to simply ignore the weather and get on with your ride.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    still too warm for long finger gloves; tried this morning and my fingers were swimming by the time I got to work
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    jodypress wrote:
    I was at the point of using my Ski Gloves.

thats what I use when it gets really cold. might as well get some more use out of them
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • You can just wear some cheap thinsulate gloves under a pair of oversized waterproof gloves or lobster gloves for that extra warmth.