What's your talent?

Comments

• bails87 wrote:
    I think my talent is for not being talented at anything but being reasonably good at most things (if that makes sense - a Jack of All Trades). The one thing I'm hopeless at is singing
    I'm remarkably similar.

I can pick up a golf club and do reasonably well at the pitch and putt. I can ride a bike pretty well, I can play football without embarrasing myself, I can do basic car mechanics, I can replace bits in a computer. But I'm not 'great' at any of those things, and I'm woeful at anything musical!

I LOVE karaoke... I've been told I do a mean version of David Bowie "Let's Dance", give me a mike, close your eyes and David appears.... Anyone fancy a BR karaoke-off? I honed my skills living in Japan for 2½ years...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87 wrote:
    I think my talent is for not being talented at anything but being reasonably good at most things (if that makes sense - a Jack of All Trades). The one thing I'm hopeless at is singing
    I'm remarkably similar.

I can pick up a golf club and do reasonably well at the pitch and putt. I can ride a bike pretty well, I can play football without embarrasing myself, I can do basic car mechanics, I can replace bits in a computer. But I'm not 'great' at any of those things, and I'm woeful at anything musical!

I LOVE karaoke... I've been told I do a mean version of David Bowie "Let's Dance", give me a mike, close your eyes and David appears.... Anyone fancy a BR karaoke-off? I honed my skills living in Japan for 2½ years...

I karaoked in China - so bloody funny - even the words to "Hotel California" were in "Chinglish" so I was crying with laughter
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I can sing really badly. I'm also spectacularly bad at doing accents.
    My daughter is of the opinion that I can fix anything. I'm pretty good at fixing stuff, but not that good. Whenever she breaks something she doesn't get upset because she 'knows' I can fix it. She has however been disappointed on the occasions that I have been unable to whatever item has been broken. It doesn't half put pressure on a chap to fix something.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As you asked, I'm the guru here for MS SQL Server, and in a previous life Oracle.

Away from work apparently I'm just good at getting things done, like fixing things, a bit of plumbing, decorating, building things that need building esp kids' toys, sorting out other people's computer problems, putting up other people's TV aerials & sat dishes (once done on a chair on another chair with a step-ladder on top of them, so add stupidity to the list.

And I'm the best damn cyclist here, not just in my office (population one), but the whole building and after the Cycle To Work Challenge last year second across the whole group only to some bloke who took a day off to cycle 70 odd miles to a meeting in London. Keiran was nowhere. So there.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    My daughter is of the opinion that I can fix anything. I'm pretty good at fixing stuff, but not that good. Whenever she breaks something she doesn't get upset because she 'knows' I can fix it. She has however been disappointed on the occasions that I have been unable to whatever item has been broken. It doesn't half put pressure on a chap to fix something.

We're always doing fake accents at work, it's the nature of headhunting in banking that you end up speaking to people from all over the world. I can do Japanese and French flawlessly, people like my German accent, it makes them laugh, however I've been told it sounds like I'm wearing my lederhosen too tight when I do it... Sometimes we do entire conversations on the phone with potential candidates in funny accents, just to while away the day...
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

We're always doing fake accents at work, it's the nature of headhunting in banking that you end up speaking to people from all over the world. I can do Japanese and French flawlessly, people like my German accent, it makes them laugh, however I've been told it sounds like I'm wearing my lederhosen too tight when I do it... Sometimes we do entire conversations on the phone with potential candidates in funny accents, just to while away the day...

Excellent. When I did retail export I'd spend so much of the day speaking pidgin English I'd sometimes order a pint as if I was talking to Jonny Foreigner.
    However I do a great Italian accent, forgot about that. Being Italian helps.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I can bite my own toe nails (gross I will admit)
    Strip down and reassemble both an SA80 rifle and an outboard engine (not at the same time of course!)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • I've never met anyone that can beat me at table tennis. To the point where I get bored of thrashing people. True, dat.

My grammar and spelling are impeckable (!). One thing that always gets my goat, especially on here, is seeing the word "breaks" instead of "brakes"....aaarrrrghhhh.... :evil:

I can juggle (only 3 balls though). And I can use the diablo (learnt whilst on Erasmus in France many years ago). I can also stiltwalk. No, I've never worked for the circus.

I definitely can't sing and I was even stopped from playing the triangle at school. I'm also rubbish at drinking and can get remarkably ropey on 4 pints of Guinness.

But I can down a bottle of neat Tabasco. Less a talent, more a party trick, but still....seems to impress people no end.

I suffer for it the next day, mind....!!!!! :shock: :shock:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I can burrow through an elephant

I think I've seen a video of you practising
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • 6 inch tongue and i can breath thru my ears, does that count :D
    dont only ride a bike
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Excellent. When I did retail export I'd spend so much of the day speaking pidgin English I'd sometimes order a pint as if I was talking to Jonny Foreigner.
    However I do a great Italian accent, forgot about that. Being Italian helps.

Yeah when I lived in Japan my English slowed and became more pronounced and enunciated... One of my mates came out to visit me and told me I had started to sound like a BBC presenter circa 1954...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pffft fake accents.

Sounds like a boiler room to me.

:P
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    My daugter believes everything I tell her. So I have many talents. Most of them involve letting her win but occasionally reminding her who is boss. I also have a large print of the end of a stage of the '52 TdF on the wall of our lounge. She sternly believes that Daddy is in the tunnel of the entrance to the velodrome, just before he launched an all out attack to take the win.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    My daugter believes everything I tell her. So I have many talents. Most of them involve letting her win but occasionally reminding her who is boss. I also have a large print of the end of a stage of the '52 TdF on the wall of our lounge. She sternly believes that Daddy is in the tunnel of the entrance to the velodrome, just before he launched an all out attack to take the win.

Hopefully she hasn't worked out how old that would make Daddy.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    skellator3 wrote:
    6 inch tongue and i can breath thru my ears, does that count :D

Kevin Bloody Wilson?
  • NGale wrote:
    I can bite my own toe nails (gross I will admit)
    Strip down and reassemble both an SA80 rifle and an outboard engine (not at the same time of course!)

Next time I'm planning an Assault on Cromarty Harbour, I'll know exactly who to call.

Ah, the SA80. As a summer job I arranged the pageant to hand the Enfield Weapons System (as it was called) over to the British Army. Great fun arranging uniforms and mock(!) weapons to represent all of the previous British Army rifles. Also got to visit the Enfield "Pattern Room" which, for anybody that has the slightest interest in guns (nearly all schoolboys then) was an Aladdin's cave. First Sten gun, first Bren gun, more Lee Enfield 303 variants than you can possibly imagine. 2 highlights:

- Russian helicopter machinegun "Not all there and what is there is damaged - fell from rather a long way up"

- Bulgarian pistol that had murdered some poor bloke about the same time as the umbrella pellet murder in London. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_Murder
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I play bass guitar and upright bass, the below link is to one of the bands I play with. Come see us live and you'll be treated to some bass chops :o

http://www.youtube.com/embed/tW2Ppo4ANOw
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • I am a talented codebreaker
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I can spend all night, every night, writing pointless sh*t on forums.
  • If I angle my head just right, I can shine a laser pointer all the way through.
  • I am 44th in the World at Stone Skimming....

I do have a huge tongue and can touch well up my nose (inside and out)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • prawny wrote:
    I'm quite handy on the drums (or was anyway)
    Apparently I'm quite good bass player... Silly Commuter Band? ;)
  • I can sometimes do multiple orgasms and put my foot behind my neck. Not at the same time though.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • P***ing my life away on the internet.
  • I can put together a world class curry seemingly. I had it pretty licked before but last nights creation was a world beater says her indoors and friends who also hoovered it up.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I can hold my breath for 5 minutes
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I'm good at resurrecting dormant threads.... :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    medoramas wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    I'm quite handy on the drums (or was anyway)
    Apparently I'm quite good bass player... Silly Commuter Band? ;)

It's an idea, don't know how we'd get the gear to gigs tho. And we'd be knackered from racing each other there....
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Music. I've had one of my tracks used on NBC news (prime-time) and another on an american cable network series called "bad girls club". You can watch episodes on YouTube but only if you like to watch a house full of girls going out, getting drunk, coming home and arguing.
  • I can perfom a dance with my pecs and eyebrows at the same time.
    I've also been told I'm not too bad a singer. I'm also not too bad at writing comms material.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"