Thetford MTB winter Series 2011/12

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I've entered 6th Nov. First MTB race, I can race but my technical skills are probably a bit lacking!

BC website says it's course FR6/4 anyone know what that means, or have a link to a map/garmin trail from last year?
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    pastasauce wrote:
    Good going !

Depending on how Nov 6th goes I may do the same.

I like the Thet Red Run and parts of the Black when its not too chewed, but have never been off piste - should be interesting.

Having never raced before, how many laps on average will we do in 2 hours ?

I too have never gone of the beaten track at Thetford and always stuck too the rad and black runs. Cant imagine its too different to be honest.

Looking at last series results the fastest racers were doing anywhere between 5-8 laps depending on lap length. When the fastest racer finishes then you finish the lap you are on then finish if you know what i mean.
  • paulmgreen wrote:
    What is the format of the fun ride ? Is it same course ... Shorter...... Different course? Etc????

The fun ride the same course, but is only 2 full laps and who goes fastest wins, whereas the 2 and 4 hour format is who can do the most laps in 2 or 4 hours, and if the same number of laps are completed, it goes down to who did them faster.

Expect the laps to be about 8-10miles, that's what they usually are, takes roughly 45mins for most people in the fun category to complete a lap....

If you're normal fitness (i.e. ride once a week) or not so confident at going fast, I'd recommend you enter the fun ride, its a good intro to mtb racing... My friend came first last year in the fun ride and won a load of energy bars and Torq energy powder, T-Shirts, things like that (supplied by the sponsers).

evo3ben wrote:
    I too have never gone of the beaten track at Thetford and always stuck too the rad and black runs. Cant imagine its too different to be honest.

The "off piste" stuff at Thetford is more like the black. The red route was groomed a few years back which is why its a bit more flowy and faster rolling. The black is mainly untouched.
    The loop usually makes use of wide fire-road, bumpy singletrack (like the black) and some more flowy bits. Sometimes they do use parts of the black run, but it depends on the course they decide.

If you're slower and a lightweight XC racer is coming up behind on singletrack they will just shout at you something like "coming through on the right" so just move over to the left to let them pass, some of them fly round at unbelievable speed!
  • Just checked the website, seen my number is 801... First of the fun guys!
  • evo3ben
    Race numbers are now out for Thetford Race on sunday 8)

Im number 54 but they have spelt my name wrong.

Here is the link to find your number http://www.thetfordmtbracing.com/ws1regentries.htm

Cant believe how many people are racing!!

175 2hr solo male 18-39
    199 2hr solo male 40+
    19 females

And all at a start time of 10:40 That is one hell of a mass start :shock:
  • I'm no. 155.

You might catch my number as I pass you so shout hello .......

As if ..... !

:lol:

Heres hoping I'm not last ........................ !

Looking forward to it.
  • evo3ben
    pastasauce wrote:
    I'm no. 155.

You might catch my number as I pass you so shout hello .......

As if ..... !

:lol:

Heres hoping I'm not last ........................ !

Looking forward to it.

Or you might catch mine as i pass you :wink::lol:

Im sure you will do well mate :wink:
  • hammerite
    How did everyone get on?

First MTB race, enjoyed it, but my warm up lap was starting to take it's toll on me later in the race. My lower back and wrists were hurting, serves me right for being a wimpy roadie.
  • Went well. Thought the track was mint, and in top condition.

I get pain in my hands and lower back too. Ergo grips do help though.

But then it is a race and most people are hurting at the finish to some degree!
  • stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    I was loving it until i got involved in someone elses crash on lap 4, managed to get hit hard by the bike behind and seem to have buggered my shoulder and neck, but never mind, will hit the turbo until i can get out on the bike again and be ready for round 2.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Anyone know who the photographers where who were taking the pictures?
  • stylish
    My Dad and Son were about half way up the PLumb Buster, will find the link to them in a little while.
  • I did my first ever 'race' and was chuffed.... but realised theres a big difference between going out for a couple of hours bike ride and 75-80 minutes continuously flat out lol!

I am entered for Race 2 within an hour of getting back to base though lol
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Was a good day out. Seemed to be a few people who though it was fine to overtake on the singletrack without any warning.
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Went okay, but for one big mistake...... I did a wrm up lap not realising it was 6 miles long :roll:

Really took it out of me on lap 3 so didn't make a fourth lap in the race which I had hoped to do at the very least, but never mind more training needed, bounced off a tree on lap one but stayed on, Crashed on lap 2 when front wheel slid out on a root on a down hill turn :lol: all okay though was a soft landing.

My 13 year old full sus Marin is soo soo heavy, so went to buy a new Trek yesterday only to find they are not available until January at the earliest :(

Found a nice pub on the drive home roast beef dinner was lush

I'm entered for all 4 races, no 203
  • evo3ben
    Thought the course was in good condition and well laid out. Completed 4 laps and must admit i also was hurting by the end. Legs started to cramp up half way around 4th lap so had to ease off a bit.
    Got to the start line 10 minutes early which was not early enough, must have been over 200 riders infront of me :cry: then i slipped trying to clip in and the rider behind me hit me and i lost balance allowing god knows how many other riders past :oops:
    Cant believe how many riders i got stuck behind on the single track on every lap! Im too polite to pass on tight sections and definately not rude enough to barge past. Because of these hold ups i didnt finish where i wanted too, but very happy with my performance in gaining places back. I am always considerent to other riders, be it those i pass or those that pass me, and is nice to receive the same attitude back (99% of the time).
    All in all a very good event and looking forward to the next one :D
  • stylish
    this is the link to the pictures taken at the weekend by my 10 year old lad, you may have spotted him on the Plumb Buster, noisy little bugger!
    the rest are what my Dad has taken over the MSG races and his other passion of Motor Racing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59052475@N06/
  • evo3ben
    Anyone have an idea how long the laps are for the next race?
  • stylish
    The lap at round 1 was the shortest i have ever known at 6 miles, as they tend to be around 8 miles in length.
  • I'm thinking of doing round 3 which looks to be the same route as round 1. Anyone know if this uses the green route which is just over 6 miles as I'd like to ride the course beforehand?

Also I only have a single speed. For those that did round 1 do you think it's doable on an SS?
  • C0LL0
    Yes a single speed would be fine on this course
  • hammerite
    P@blito wrote:
    I'm thinking of doing round 3 which looks to be the same route as round 1. Anyone know if this uses the green route which is just over 6 miles as I'd like to ride the course beforehand?

Also I only have a single speed. For those that did round 1 do you think it's doable on an SS?

worth asking on the race forum on the Thetford MTB website, apparently there's been some logging work on the course that was used for Rd 1. So whilst the race HQ may be at the same place, the course may not follow the same route.
  • C0LL0
    I have the use of a Gary fisher 29er for the next round; went on a demo ride yesterday, loved it, took a while to get used to the 29er hardtailfrom my old saggy FS marin, but was soo easy to ride.

Got back to the shop and placed an order for a trek elite al superfly, but wont get it until February (out of stock non available) :(

So Erick the shop owner said I can use the Fisher 29er whilst I wait for mine to come (a very nice man), so if you see a silver gary fisher 29er wobbling in your direction please don't knock me off, I can't aford to pay for 2 bikes :roll:

Will stickto the 13 year old Marin if it's wet though
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    29er's are the way forward for thetford without a doubt!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    Woo Hoo, I'm going to win then :lol:

or not...................
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    C0LL0 wrote:
    Woo Hoo, I'm going to win then :lol:

or not...................

Not a single race winner was on a 29er as far as I could tell... although a lot of the top 10 in each cat were on 29ers.
  • VWsurfbum
    You need one Ollie lol
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    You need one Ollie lol

I do want one, and I would've got a 29er instead of the whippet had I had the money but the bank (i.e. the parents and extended family) aren't being generous at the moment so 29er :( , besides I need a road bike for training first.
  • VWsurfbum
    Rubbish, a 29er has the same size wheels as a road bike, sell em that idea.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty