Help me get this effing bike OUT of my bedroom!!!

fadingpatience
fadingpatience Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi guys I'm probably going to get beaten to a cyber pulp in here but I need some advice (if at all possible!!).
Over the past year my (lovely) bloke has developed a love for all things mountain bike (definate mid-life crisis going on here) and decided that he would build the bike of his dreams. I was initially happy, bought him a Kona Stinky frame for his birthday and Rock Shox Recon forks for xmas. Then came the hunger and walking to work in the pissing down rain as he favoured bike parts to food or petrol :twisted:
Finally the bike is finished but now I have no idea where to get the bloody thing insured and, until it's insured, I have to put up with it taking a large portion of my bedroom :o
I'm sick of it being the first thing I see when I wake up and the last thing I see before I fall asleep!
Does anyone know where I can get reasonable insurance for custom made bikes?
I would just like to add that, as girlfriends go, I'm pretty amenable and just let him get on with it (despite withering away from malnutrition) and that since I announced my pregnancy 4 months ago he has 'panic bought' ANOTHER bike frame (Commencal Ramones) and this will also need insuring when finished (unless of course I kill him in the meantime)
All advice greatly received :lol:

Comments

• Murder is cheaper

I would recommend marks and Spencer insurance, but if you do kill him i will get the bikes out of your house for you
  • Can't remember what I used while I was at uni but most insurance policies require you to have a lock off their recommended or approved list, (gold rated or something like that) and some form of ground anchor. So it's worth getting set up with one of those so it is usable as soon as you start the insurance.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Question: If/when insured, where exactly do you (or the other half) intend on keeping/storing it?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Question: If/when insured, where exactly do you (or the other half) intend on keeping/storing it?

Face it, the bike is there to stay insurance or not. ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you loved him you'd sleep in the shed.
    Except for his obvious 3 minutes a week of course.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Imagine my delight, sat in work checking whats going on in this forum when suddenly...."that sounds familier." When i said join a forum i thought you would find you're own one. In response to cool dad, three minutes, my god man im not trying for an endurance record. :lol: On a serious note if anyone can reccommend an insurer who will cover custom built bikes it would be much appreciated.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    It's no surprise you're pregnant if you just let him get on with it. :wink:
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Question: If/when insured, where exactly do you (or the other half) intend on keeping/storing it?

We have a garage.

BUSTED !!! :lol:

We have a garage.

BUSTED !!! :lol:

So, if you have a garage, fit a ground anchor and chain the damned thing up so tight that even Houdini would shudder at the thought of having to free it..
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Funniest thread i've seen in a while. :lol:
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • I'm assuming the bedroom is this kind of arrangement...

Mtbr_Contest_12-7-06.jpg

If not, think yourself lucky.
  • cj11
    That is amazing, the stuff of legend. Maybe closing the tent door would be better for security although im not sure if it maybe considered slightly harsh what with my other half expecting a baby. What i need to do is rename this thread... how do i keep my other half off bike radar while at work.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    M&S insurance :D

Useful tip aside, this is hilarious :lol: I would actually quite happily keep my bike in the bedroom, however if I did this I would probably find all sort of rally car parts and wheels in there also, so we have a happy truce 8)

Good luck to both of you :wink::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • benpinnick wrote:
    It's no surprise you're pregnant if you just let him get on with it. :wink:

Not entirely sure how it happened to be honest, he's either riding the bike or cleaning it!!!

Right I'd better retreive the bike from the back hedge before you come home from work cj11, and no......the bike cannot sleep with us tonight :twisted:
  • Kona stinky with recon forks? Interesting choice...
  • cj11
    Right I'd better retreive the bike from the back hedge before you come home from work cj11, and pack my bags and take my sorry ass to a refuge :lol: Fixed it for you.
  • cj11
    Recons were for another bike, but lets not open that can of worms just yet.
  • Kona stinky with recon forks? Interesting choice...

Opening healing wounds, the other stupidly expensive cross country bike that's only a year old but needs everything replacing!? Yeah the forks were for that :evil:

Christ the car's just pulled up, offski :?

Oh and yes, that makes THREE bikes he has (for his one flipping pair of legs!)
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Could make a sitcom out of this. :lol::wink:
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Kona stinky with recon forks? Interesting choice...

Opening healing wounds, the other stupidly expensive cross country bike that's only a year old but needs everything replacing!? Yeah the forks were for that :evil:

I hope the upgrading/replacing took part in the appropriate part of the house. i.e, the kitchen table.
  • Anonymous
    n+1

Think n-1 is pretty close though.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    ETA insurance specify inside a locked building, no need for a ground anchor, certified lock etc, unless kept outside. When I took out the policy they said a garage counts as a building. Your covered as long as there is forcible entry. Still locking the bikes up to something inside for peace of mind is a good idea.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kona stinky with recon forks? Interesting choice...

While he's playing with bikes, he's not playing around with the neighbour.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I used to keep my motorbikes in the house, so dont see the problem 8)
  • benpinnick
    @FP and cj11. Trying to do more than insure your bike(s) on household insurance is a waste of time IMHO. Dedicated insurance requires as previously said, that you secure the bikes so well that in fact they almost certainly won't get stolen.

My Advice therefore: Spend the insurance money on

2 ground anchors
    The necessary drill bit to fit said anchors
    A really solid chain and padlock x 2.
    A garage defender lock.

Total cost around £200! But its a one off.

With all these in place you should be able to sleep easy, and get ready for the biggest change to your life you've ever had!

Ben & Rose, 34 and 10 months respectively.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    PS - I realise that you'll be best part pf 6 months gone now, so sleeping easy wont be so easy. cj11, do the right thing and buy FP one of these:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230519017/Product.aspx

PPS - You might find it easier to affix some cheap wall hooks (£1 from B&Q Style) onto a piece of timber, and affix timber to wall in garage. Then put ground anchors into wall of garage instead. This keeps everything hanging tidily and is easier than drilling into concrete floors. Yes its not as secure, but its near as damn it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cj11
    @benpinnick. Thanks for the help, that pillow looks ideal, Had considered a v-pillow but that looks so much better. Also cheers for the advice on storage and insurance thought it best to mention it before getting slaughtered for turning this into a maternity forum. :lol: