Wet vs Dry conditions

guy72277
guy72277 Posts: 74
edited September 2011 in MTB general
I'm definitely a wet weather rider, and for me, the rainier and muddier it is, the better. Those conditions inspire me to go out and ride. The relatively dry summer is OK for riding, but I'm longing for some heavy rain and general bad weather to make the rides more fun (for me). Add to that riding in the winter darkness with my lamp, and I'm a happy as a pig in Sh*t!

Most people (even riding buddies), when I tell them that I can't wait for the winter, think I have a screw loose, but I'm hoping there will be a few of you on here who are like me. Oomskaphiles maybe...?

Anyone?

Comments

• I'm a night rider. Winter means longer nights so I am always happier.
    Nothing better than riding the local trails in the pitch black. It all looks different.
    (And you ride faster - if we do stop and listen to some of the sounds around us :shock: )
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Dry and sunny for me. I have mates who love the wet stuff, i'm not one.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Dry and sunny for me

+1, I'm normal.
  • guy72277 wrote:
    I'm definitely a wet weather rider, and for me, the rainier and muddier it is, the better. Those conditions inspire me to go out and ride. The relatively dry summer is OK for riding, but I'm longing for some heavy rain and general bad weather to make the rides more fun (for me). Add to that riding in the winter darkness with my lamp, and I'm a happy as a pig in Sh*t!

Anyone?

Freak.

Dry and dusty for me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:
    Dry and sunny for me

+1, I'm normal.

+ all the potatoes in the world.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Either or for me.
    I hate it if it's too hot though as it just knocks the crap out of me.
    All year round rider I don't care what it's doing outside I'll ride 8)
  • I don't mind wet/mud as long as I've got the right gear. As long as my arse and feet are dry, I'm happy - even if I'm covered in mud from top to bottom!
    '03 Specialized HR Comp
    '10 Cube LTD Team
    '10 Boardman FS Team - gone but not forgotten!
    '11 Giant Anthem X4
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I ride in all of it, but I know what I'd choose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I like dry, though love riding in the wet...

What i hate riding in is strong wind.... :(gives me a headache lol)
  • Jeez, if even MTBers think I'm an ab"normal" "freak" then I'm in real trouble. I thought I'd find quite a few "like-minded" people here.

I'm pretty weather insensitive and will ride in any conditions, just the harsher the better. Riding in a sleet storm on snowy ground in the dark was my most extreme - so far! Maybe growing up playing rugby has done this to me? I don't suffer from the cold either - shorts until it drops below zero. I may sound like a tool, but I just love it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Neither dry nor wet, just enough dampness to get the dirt to stick. Not hot nor cold either, riding in the hot is horrible. I prefer cold to hot, though, you can wrap up warm but you can't wrap down cold.

And snow is the best thing to ride in, but it wouldn't be if it lasted more than a week :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All is good. Just changes the conditions so makes it a different ride which makes it more interesting than doing the same thing all the time.

Miserable downpour of persistent heavy rain gets to me after a while though but once I'm out I'm not fussed.

Snow... awesome!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I prefer being on the road in the rain a lot of the time.

Rode home on Tuesday in absolute pouring rain (no waterproofs), set off to do the absolute shortest journey home, but extended my commute twice, was having a great time. Utterly drenched, but totally warm, being on the road there wasn't tonnes of grit, and I wasn't trashing the bike as quickly.

It's rare though, I'd have probably enjoyed it more if it had been blue sky and sunshine!
  • +fluffy kittens for bone dry, dusty, sunny sahara style weather. Ladys wear less in the summer.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • I prefer a dry day after a night's rainfall, lots of traction on the harder areas where the drainage is good and still enough mud in some areas to surprise me.
    Given the choice of sun or rain, sun or overcast, but a little (or lot of) rain never hurt nobody
    I'm a night rider.

So, you're "The Hoff"?
    Nothing better than riding the local trails in the pitch black. It all looks different.

Last winter I almost got slammed into at sunset by a deer at Cannock, I heard "something" and she ran alongside me, then cut across the front of me.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'll ride in anything, as long as it's not physically raining (like pissing it down). I've still not gotten round to getting contact lenses, so I have to wear glasses. Not ideal in the rain. I'm not a huge fan of blazing hot sunshine or stupidly high winds either, but i can cope with pretty much anything in between, as long as i have some warm socks and gloves on!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Muddy rides are the best. I've ridden in everything from 40 degrees and bright sun to -10 degrees and snowy. The muddy/crappy weather rides are always the best. Brings a grin seeing mud fly everywhere.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Riding in the wet is expensive, think brake pads, chains and gears, every time I hear grinding sounds in the mud I wince, sunshine and the dry rocks my boat.
    Don't think, BE:
  • One word. SNOW. 8)

Love riding in the snow.
  • wobbem

You are not a biker if you worry about that. it's only money anyways, better to live well than be a fair weather rider.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    wobbem

You are not a biker if you worry about that. it's only money anyways, better to live well than be a fair weather rider.

"You have failed , please die".............
    http://at.linkedin.com/in/seancrawfordbrown = to late, already dead : 8) :
    Don't think, BE:
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I love the muddy stuff (infact i did one tonight after work) but it is a bit of a chore to clean the bike down each time, i can not resist the sunshine either.

Dont mind the rain, but wind can GTF!!
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    njee20 wrote:
    Dry and sunny for me

+1, I'm normal.
    Same here. This horrible wet and chilly weather is crap. I'm still looking forward to freezing, fresh and dry winter rides though, but only until the snow comes, then it's time to swap the bike for something else.
  • Dry weather? what the fark is that?

I can honestly say this is the worst "summer" I can ever remember. It has been well and truly shite. I'm pretty sure we've not had a full week without rain here since......April maybe?

Thanks for reminding me what we're missing out on though!

cnuts
  • guy72277 wrote:
    I don't suffer from the cold either - shorts until it drops below zero.

Hang on... there's an alternative to shorts!?

But seriously, what else can you wear other than shorts?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'm a night rider. Winter means longer nights so I am always happier.
    (And you ride faster - if we do stop and listen to some of the sounds around us :shock: )

I hear ya, went round the local woods last night for the first time in pitch black. That was an experience and a half.

Good fun but I practically soiled myself at every turn :lol:
  • wobbem wrote:
    wobbem

"You have failed , please die".............
    http://at.linkedin.com/in/seancrawfordbrown = to late, already dead : 8) :

Ummmm, what has my linked in profile got to do with anything? And why are you even posting it up?
  • guy72277 wrote:
    I don't suffer from the cold either - shorts until it drops below zero.

Hang on... there's an alternative to shorts!?

But seriously, what else can you wear other than shorts?

If I don't swap to leggings when it drops below zero, then the old knees freeze. Coldest I've ridden was -12, fine, except my CamelBak tube froze up.
  • The muddy/crappy weather rides are always the best. Brings a grin seeing mud fly everywhere.

Mountain Monster! Finally, another true wet weather warrior! Personally, I think I ride better when it's wet. Maybe the wet weather means you don't overheat. Dunno? Today was very crappy weather but my bike is being fixed....aaaaagh!
  • njee20 wrote:
    Dry and sunny for me

+1, I'm normal.
    Same here. This horrible wet and chilly weather is crap. I'm still looking forward to freezing, fresh and dry winter rides though, but only until the snow comes, then it's time to swap the bike for something else.

I'm hearing ya yeehaa!!!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8