What's your average speed?

2»

Comments

• rather depends on route,

my normal route is though Bushy Park which is lovely but slow.

if I it's closed such as now for deer cull then my average can be much higher.

as to close to 20 mph averages well that would get you a fair TT time though traffic is impressive! ;-)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Last week was a new PB for me, 8.64 miles in 26:15 moving time, so a moving average of 19.7mph.

Its amazing what traffic lights does to your speed though. I did a 10 mile time trial a few weeks ago and my average speed in that was 23.6mph. Admittedly that hurt a little more than the commute, plus there were no rules about not looking like you were trying. At that speed I'd be knocking on the door of 20 mins for my commute. Instead of 32-35 mins including time stopped at traffic lights.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I'm averaging 16-18mph.

10 mile cycle to work takes 33-35 mins, and 40-45 mins back home uphill.
  • I was amazed to look at the average speed of my car over the last 200miles. 21mph, goes to show that 16-18mph on a commute is not bad going really.
    Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011
  • Today was a personal best made 19mph 3 second short of the hour.
    generally i get 15.5 to 17 when i started 3 months ago it was down at 13.5
    19miles took me 1Hr 25 now average time is 1hr10
    On a standard tricross
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    My 6 rides so far mapped on Cyclemeter range from 13.63 mph to 16.75 mph albeit it has been windy.

Now I have a measure I will be going all out to better these times. Shouldn't be too difficult in still conditions.
  • i didn't beleive mine at first. 15mph , according to bike computer. when not been on a bike for years. i did the calcs and it was 15mph on a MTB too.

a year later and the average has gone up to 17mph on the computer and on the calcs.

am i proud - you bet especially when in flat old london i can set off speed signs on it.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    around 18 - 19mph over 7 miles thats on my (soon to be gone to the skip in the sky) Tricross with Marathon +'s
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    My commute is 4.5 miles e/w. I usually only managed 11mph or so, because there are traffic lights galore. My av. speed on weekend rides in the countryside is about 17mph.
  • I'm new to this cycling to work thing, having not done a great deal of fitness for a good few years :oops:

Now doing a 24 mile round trip which is pretty flat all the way and averaging 13.5mph, according to computer gizmo. I'm certainly not pushing myself and just letting my body get used to working again. Only issue I have is the coastal wind, but to get a cracking view of the sea twice a day, it's well worth it 8)

I'm mid forties and slightly overweight, hence I'm now commuting by bike :lol:

Bike is a Voodoo marasa hybrid.
  • 24-mile round trip across sunny :wink: Glasgow , averaging 15-16 mph on the way in, 13-14mph on the way home (last 2-3 miles is all uphill).

Riding a Felt hybrid with 2 monstrously heavy panniers.

On the few occasions I've use my "best" (aka "only") road bike with just a light rucksack, I've hit 18-19 mph in, 17-18mph out.

Nearly 50 and have only been cycling for a year or so after a long layoff, so not that fit (yet)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • I do my circa 15 miles with an average of 15 mph. Full rigid mtb on slicks, few nasty hills on the route both ways.
  • On a 9 mile route on a carrera gryphon on Planet x model b wheels with schwalbe blizzard 23mm tyres I average 15mph. I haven't been doing htis cycling thing that long and the route has lots of short but steep hills. I'm pretty happy with that at the minute.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    My commute is 11 miles - on the way in to work it's generally downhill for the first half & generally flat the rest of the way.

I've never officially timed it but this morning the kitchen clock read 07:01 when I left the house, & the clock in reception at work read 07:36 when I badged in.

I reckon I was stopped for about 1 minute for traffic lights, & it takes me about 2 minutes to lock up my bike & walk from the bike shed to reception.

So that's 32 minutes for an 11 mile commute ... average 20.6mph !?? :shock:

Of course, the two clocks may be out of sync by a few minutes.

I ride a 25lb MTB (semi-slick tyres), not a road bike.

I'll time it properly one day.

20mph+ sounds a bit optmistic.
  • shm_uk wrote:
    My commute is 11 miles - on the way in to work it's generally downhill for the first half & generally flat the rest of the way.

I've never officially timed it but this morning the kitchen clock read 07:01 when I left the house, & the clock in reception at work read 07:36 when I badged in.

I reckon I was stopped for about 1 minute for traffic lights, & it takes me about 2 minutes to lock up my bike & walk from the bike shed to reception.

So that's 32 minutes for an 11 mile commute ... average 20.6mph !?? :shock:

Of course, the two clocks may be out of sync by a few minutes.

I ride a 25lb MTB (semi-slick tyres), not a road bike.

I'll time it properly one day.

20mph+ sounds a bit optmistic.

Does sound a bit optimistic on an MTB and a minute or two on that distance can make a relatively big difference to the speed - especially up at the 20mph mark
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH