What's your average speed?

beduffrich
beduffrich Posts: 61
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
I'm new to this commuting lark (2 weeks), I have a Boardman Hybrid team and I'm managing 14.6mph average over 4.7 or 7.3mile commute (depending on route).

What Bike do you use for the commute and what's your average speed?

http://www.justgiving.com/Richardarnold93
Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited September 2011
    Based on my last uploads to Garmin Connect in the middle of August; average speed 18.9mph and average moving speed 19.7mph. However, that was on a Tuesday so I'd revise them both down by 0.5mph to take Friday legs into account.

Oh, it's on a carbon road bike which I think is a Trek, and it's 21 miles each way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I use a carbon road bike and over 15 miles tend to average around 18mph on the way in, 17mph on the way home which is slightly uphill. I don't really have any traffic lights or junctions to contend with though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Well I do my 22 km commute in about an hour, but then again it depends on weather, red lights, how tired I am etc. So about 13.5 mph on average, but like I say that is quite variable.

Oh, and thats on my 6 year old hybrid with Schwalbe marathon plus tour tyres (no punctures for me :) ).
  • 15mph commuting
    18mph training

And not a single flat section of road on my entire commute, over every surface there is including cobbles but that's the Pennines for you.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • PO Paul
    PO Paul Posts: 114
    10.5 miles, averaging 14 mph on a Trek 1.9 road bike
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    7 miles, average about 18 mph, Kiron (alu frame) - depends on if I'm late or not!
  • Stu07
    Stu07 Posts: 48
    12.5 miles, average of 18-19mph on the way to work.

Only manage 17mph on the return (but its uphill a little).

Fortunately i only have 2 sets of traffic lights then i'm out into the country, which helps!
  • 16mph over 8.5 miles on a Trek 2.3. Pretty flat.
  • 14mph on a 26 mile round trip. Fairly flat, but 1 mile off road.
    On a Felt MTB with full-fat tyres. Goes up to 16 mph on slicks.

All depends on the wind. My route is pretty exposed to the elements.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • 21 miles each way in to Manchester - best average 20.6 usually around 18.7-19.6 on the way in and around 17.6-18.8 on the way back - depends on lights, wind and drafting lorries down the A6

varies
    Orbea Orca - The works
    Enigma Etape
    Raleigh 653 retro
    etc
  • My way to office is only 2.2miles long) It takes from 10 to 12 minutes in total (depending on lights and traffic) and 9-10 minutes actual riding. So its near 14mph average. So slow because the main thing - not to sweat too much :)

P.S. Bike is rigid Marin Muirwoods w/ Schwalbe Marathon Racer tyres
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    10 miles each way. Half on road, half on cycle path. Speed wise anything from 16mph - 19mph. Always faster on the way home.

Bike is a GT series 4 (2008) fitted with RS20's and a rack.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    16 each way. Average time is around an hour so that makes it roughly, in a roundabout way errrr let me see, yes, yes that's right. About 16mph avg. ;)

Fastest avg is 18.1mph I think. One day I'll break the 20 mark - that's if they get rid of the 90 odd sets of traffic lights/pedx crossings on my route.

On a Scott S30 - aluminum.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    about 1hr 20, unless the missus gets the bondage gear out :roll:
  • How does 1hour 20 relate to average speed or type of bike?

Some decent speed there people, looks like I have to up my efforts :?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    About 17.5mph - don't know if that's moving or just total average. I use a Sigma 1609 for commuting.

9.6 mile round daily commute. If I'm not going into a headwind and the lights are with me, I can get an average of over 20mph for the day :D Not bad on a Tricross.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • About 18.5 in and 17.3 out (different route with some steep uphill sections) - 15.25 miles each way. After nearly 2 years I'm yet to be overtaken :twisted: :wink: (not that it's a very busy commute!)

All done on a Focus Cayo carbon affair & Gators in the summer months. On a good run, still air, faster tyres, I can exceed 20 mph but that's the exception.

Knock at least a couple of MPH (nearer 3) off in the winter on my MTB with Ice Spikers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm the middle aged woman on the Kona Jake you all pass then.

According to the Garmin, 10.5 mph going to work (10 mile commute, more up hill going in) and 11.5 mph on the way home.

Although I do regularly hit 28 mph on the long downhill home.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Are average speeds like todger length - all men lie?

Rufus.
  • Up to 18mph in. Usually ~15mph back.

Bike is a rigid framed Giant Boulder ALU Lite from the late nineties with commuter gearing and semi-slick tyres. Only the frame is original.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • RufusA wrote:

Rufus.

Not when its backed up by Garmin!

16.98mph average over 15.2miles on a 15kg hybrid with 28mmm Conti 4000 tyres

On the early bit with few lights/little traffic 20.2mph average over the first 5miles..
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • 12 mile commute takes me an hour, but that includes a long slow hill and a couple of sections of heavy traffic and lots of light.

Uninterrupted speed is 16-20 mph.

I commute on a Specialized Tri-cross still with the 35 mm tyres as I do have a short section off road.
  • RufusA wrote:

Rufus.

Not when its backed up by Garmin!

16.98mph average over 15.2miles on a 15kg hybrid with 28mmm Conti 4000 tyres

On the early bit with few lights/little traffic 20.2mph average over the first 5miles..

Just as an addition, I did the commute on my road bike on Friday for the first time, and although close to a PB it wasn't that much faster. The initial 5miles where the roads are clearer was 3% faster on average speed... which, IMHO, proves its much more about the rider than the bike!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just as an addition, I did the commute on my road bike on Friday for the first time, and although close to a PB it wasn't that much faster. The initial 5miles where the roads are clearer was 3% faster on average speed... which, IMHO, proves its much more about the rider than the bike!

Hmm, a few months ago I went from commuting on a slicked-up hard tail MTB to commuting on my Tricross with 25mm tyres. My average went up by about 3mph - that's massive, and I know I'd go faster if I used my carbon road bike. Anyway, this is a whole other thread...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:

Hmm, a few months ago I went from commuting on a slicked-up hard tail MTB to commuting on my Tricross with 25mm tyres. My average went up by about 3mph - that's massive, and I know I'd go faster if I used my carbon road bike. Anyway, this is a whole other thread...

Yes, I might agree on open roads... where you can get up to max speed and maintain it for longer periods of time.. but in the traffic light infested undergrowth of the urban commute I don't think the bike makes a whole lot of difference...
  • I cover 12 miles round trip. Average speed is 12/13 miles an hour.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Mr Plum wrote:

Yes, I might agree on open roads... where you can get up to max speed and maintain it for longer periods of time.. but in the traffic light infested undergrowth of the urban commute I don't think the bike makes a whole lot of difference...

Thishas been investigated in detail and published in the British Medical Journal (well, as a joke at Christmas, but still counts :) )
  • roddixon wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Thishas been investigated in detail and published in the British Medical Journal (well, as a joke at Christmas, but still counts :) )

LOL, thanks for this, it made me smile a lot while reading :), especially as many similar discussions (particularly the relevance of carbon and n+1 to marital stability) have been held around the coffee machine at work between myself and my cyclng colleagues.
  • My average riding pace is 17 mph according to cateye.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • I managed to get mine up to 17.5mph on Friday after reading this thread, i thought I wasn't trying hard enough. Thanks for the inspiration everyone.