Bike Fit leads to frustrating confusion.

13»

Comments

• i just looked at the measurements from the fitter,in my bare feet he measured me at 1726mm which as it turns out is 5 ft 8 and not the 5 ft 9 i thought i was. would this have negligible influence if i was to choose the 53 over the 54 , or vice versa ?

gosh ,somany questions over selecting a frame........sorry guys :oops:

so its 5ft 8 with 29 inside seam. :oops:
  • I'm 5'8" with 29" legs and I ride a 54cm Trek 1.9 which fits me pretty well and I have no complaints.

I have a 54cm Genesis Vapour which on 90% of days feels like it's a perfect fit, on other days it feels a touch too small.
    --
    FCN 9
  • I'm 5'8" with 29" legs and I ride a 54cm Trek 1.9 which fits me pretty well and I have no complaints.

I have a 54cm Genesis Vapour which on 90% of days feels like it's a perfect fit, on other days it feels a touch too small.

when you ride your trek, are you stretched out to reach the hoods or do they fall right into your hands when you sit a tad more upright ?
  • Bloody hell what a thread.
    I have a 58cm steel frasme and ride it in winter no problems, I have one 53.5cmframe and another 54cm frameand have set them all up so I can ride, just try what the guy suggested it makes sense to me.
    Failing that but a pair of platform shoes and ride with those as I dont think anything will work for you :D
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Ezy Rider wrote:
    chris, that reach of 686mm , what height are you ?

for me it was 655mm and im 5 ft 9 inches.

that seat to bars drop of 80mm you mentioned terrifies me, ar$e in the clouds and face on the ground posture sounds frightening to me

Hi Ezy,

I was measured as 1785mm - 5'10''. What are your torso and arm lengths? To be honest the Comfort wasn't what I was after, but did not know. That is why I had the Sport fit printed out. That has a reach of 709m at the drop of 80mm.

My personal feeling is that the bikefitting.com algorithm is set for a 25mm drop for comfort, and 80mm for sport. The rest of the bike is moved around to reach that target. And at 80mm the result is very nice. Merak has pointed out that 80mm is a 'norm' for road bikes. My MTB has a drop akin to 25mm - probably more.

Please also remember it is a starting point, and the fit should be tweaked whilst on a turbo. I had a new fit today for Triathlon Sport, and both I and the fitter agreed that with my current frame we could not fit to the drawing. However a quick session on the turbo showed that my best-effort wasn't too bad (for leg extension, aerobar positions etc).

Perhaps you are looking for a more sit-up-and-beg position on your road bike - in which case perhaps flat bars are the way forward?
  • no, i love road bikes and those flat hybrid bars just add so much drag to the rider. i want to use the road bars, but i dont want to be stretched out like elastic to reach the bars, know what i mean.

im going somewhere with lots of bikes on sunday and im going to sit on 53s and 54s and bring my tape measure , and try to sort this out once and for all ,,,,,,sigh :oops:
  • Ezy Rider wrote:
    I'm 5'8" with 29" legs and I ride a 54cm Trek 1.9 which fits me pretty well and I have no complaints.

when you ride your trek, are you stretched out to reach the hoods or do they fall right into your hands when you sit a tad more upright ?

On the Trek the fit just feels natural, on the 56cm I tried I felt like superman and was too stretched out. So in answer to your question, they fall right into my hands.
    --
    FCN 9
  • stem length chad ?

take it you use 170mm cranks ?
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    54. Done.