Hardtail V full sus debate ends now

2»

Comments

• NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    it rides alot like an old Giant NPS it . The anti squat only happens when you pedal as the chain pulls the swing arm forwards and not up . the suspension action is more up and forwards so the chain doesn't try to extend .

the nice thing is it still active even when your pedalling .

p.s I knew some one would bite :lol:
  • NatoED
    For the truth of the matter i will be thinking it very hard for the next ten minutes so please tune into my brainwaves to find the real answer of what is best....

damn i missed it ...... i hate working.

Of interest is that the stand over height is massive . I have the 19" frame and the stand over is like a 16" HT . the shock is really low . It's a very flick-able frame. Ok it's not pretty frame but your on it not looking at it .
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    It's called a prong- horn because it shafts you in the nuts when you can it 8)
    Don't think, BE:
  • So FS is better than HT? Best sell my HT then!

Although my HT is 15lbs lighter than my FS, and climbs like a goat (despite it being a DJ based frame) but kicks me in the ar$e when the going gets really rough.
    And my 46lb FS has a 65 degree head angle and 7-9 inches of travel and lets me ride down or off anything, though I'm knackered if I even think of riding it up the slightest of inclines!

Actually, I'll keep the HT, call it a draw?

Horses for courses say I
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Tom Howard wrote:
    So FS is better than HT? Best sell my HT then!

good lad, you know it makes sense.

i thnk ht bikes are websters.
  • The debate ended when FS was invented.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    xand_xand wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    xand_xand wrote:
    sounds like youv'e single handedly resolved the debate of all debates....well done.

ooohhh erm .....what about those that just prefer the 'ride' of a hardtail?
    And those that prefer the feedback from riding a hardtail?
    And those that prefer the lower maintenance of owning a hardtail?
    And those that cant justify owning a full suss due to the 'type' of riding they might do?

mmm...thiniks the debate will go on and on and on and on and on....

Actually there is no debate - its just personal choice.

They are obviously idiots and their ill informed opinions are worthless.

And you matey = Gareth Hunt

Good friend of yours is he?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    there is and never will be a debate...

you're all websters for arguing about it...

In My Every So Humble Opinion of Opinions;
    - Its personal choice
    - it doesnt matter what you ride as long as you ride
    - that bike is uglier than Lillian Tyler in shameless
  • NatoED wrote:
    Well having just built up my pronghorn PR6 XC frame i can say that the debate is over . It's a 100mm travel full sus that is lighter than my hardtail (even with the same parts) . It never bobs when pedalling , even when i'm out of the saddle and stomping as hard as I can . The rear shock was fully open too.

I can't believe how amazing the bike feels . anyone who is wondering weather to go full sus but don't want the pedal bob or have to use lock out see if you can try one somewhere .

Anyone wants one we've got a bloody warehouse full, it's true they ride well up hill and on the flat, a bit scary down though and treat it with care, they rattle loose in all sorts of spots..
    Here
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I like hardtails, hardtails are cheaper generally and therefore better for me as a student. Having said that my next bike will be full suss but I very much doubt I'll get rid of the HTs to make space for it.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i love these debates :lol: having had my mojo for 6 months now, i can safely say id rather ride it than my maxlight, which is in itself a superb bike, no doubts, but the HD is just on another level altogether. its faster, feels more agressive, the geometries better (baring in mind these both run 140-150mm forks, and similar builds so its a fair comparison really) it weighs no more and i can ride harder for longer, whats not to like :D

i have to admit for having a soft spot for hardtails, a nice steel ht frame is next on my shopping list for a hackbike/ maxlight replacement, and there are times i wish i rode HT again, just not often :lol:
  • HT or FS?

BOTH obviously

n+1 is the answer you're looking for.
  • HT or FS?

BOTH obviously

n+1 is the answer you're looking for.

+potato
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • NatoED
    [quote="Graemef"

Anyone wants one we've got a bloody warehouse full, it's true they ride well up hill and on the flat, a bit scary down though and treat it with care, they rattle loose in all sorts of spots..
    Here[/quote]

I know a race team that use them and haven't had any loosening issues at all . I found it pretty good downhill . Not pure downhill stable , but then I'm used to a very XC style bike .
  • If one was the best overall i thinbk we'd all have "THAT" bike.
    Ride !
  • NatoED wrote:
    [quote="Graemef"

Here

I know a race team that use them and haven't had any loosening issues at all . I found it pretty good downhill . Not pure downhill stable , but then I'm used to a very XC style bike .[/quote]

Well I've still got one, the all singing all dancing carbon version DT Swiss everything, so where shall i start, I rode it to work cross country very day for a month, by the end of it both disc rotors were loose on their mounts, the back wheel kept slipping out of line, the headset was loose, the horse link had extra play.. Whatever, I still kept it mainly from memories of when I was an XC only STW fairy queen, it's blistering up climbs at the time, I remember thinking it was the best thing I'd ever ridden..

Then I visited the man, learned to jump and drop my Covert properly and haven't got off it since, kind of MTF pedal a bit harder Up just for the joy of taking every hit I can find down. Took the drugs he prescribed (www.hetracil.com) chucked my SPD's in the skip, shredded my lycra, let the hair regrow on the legs of every females dreams broke out the baggies Kali'd up and now it (the horned one) just sits their waiting to be shipped back to Narnia, maybe I'll bung it on ebay, but for sure it'll be a 29er before I get back on it again.

Do yourself a favour chuck it in a skip and go see the man, (UK bike skills) you'll thank me and forever be in my debt for this advice.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I check my bolts and stuff before every ride, so don't get some of these problems. Though sounds like there may have been an issue with some of the linkage bearings.
  • NatoED
    Graemef wrote:

Well I've still got one, the all singing all dancing carbon version DT Swiss everything, so where shall i start, I rode it to work cross country very day for a month, by the end of it both disc rotors were loose on their mounts, the back wheel kept slipping out of line, the headset was loose, the horse link had extra play.. Whatever, I still kept it mainly from memories of when I was an XC only STW fairy queen, it's blistering up climbs at the time, I remember thinking it was the best thing I'd ever ridden..

Do yourself a favour chuck it in a skip and go see the man, (UK bike skills) you'll thank me and forever be in my debt for this advice.

So you didn't check your bolts , the hubs have noting to do with the frame. head sets should also be regularly checked . So it wasn't the bike it was you that was at fault and if they are that crap why are you selling them?
  • I ride every day twice a day all year long, I don't expect things to come undone, so I've always paid the price, traded high, bought premium. Whyte, Preston, 46, then had a bash at distributing these, they went broke, left me high and dry with stock, took money didn't honour warranties they still owe for three bikes and all the warranty we settled on their behalf to protect our reputation, they're being sold as seen to clear with a full warning as illustrated by my careless one rider to another honesty displayed here. Had they been an honourable organisation they would have repurchased the stock, left a line of contact to honour warranties, if i were you I'd be very wary of recommending them to others and take very good care of yours.

The flip side, I now have another brand with which we haven't had a single failure that I'm happy to ride day in day out with no such issues, you shouldn't need to check your bolts if they're built right in the first place other than a six monthly check, unless you're a frequent big drop downhiller, day to day XC every bike should cope with.

And I've been riding stuff for many many years before you think of further attempts at questioning whose at fault here.
  • NatoED
    seems odd that they have a big following on the continent and great reviews where ever they go .
  • NatoED
    And from post you have made you sound more like a fool with your comments on 29ers .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    you shouldn't need to check your bolts if they're built right in the first place other than a six monthly check

I disagree, even the makers of said parts usually say to check before every ride. Leaving it twice a day for a month is asking for problems. Goes for any price of bike, and as you say, some of the parts are not the same brand as the frame but are found on many bikes.

Bearings (not the bolts!) could be faulty and causing play in the frame linkages. But the other parts sound like they need checking more frequently IMO, especially rotor bolts and quick releases.
  • NatoED
    of interest how long ago did they go bust?
  • My comment on 29ers was a joke, I know it's often difficult to pick up intonation in the typed script, but don't make the mistake of foolish assumption on my part.

As to a big continental following sure we bought into that as well, it aint true, everything aint always what it seems is all I'm saying just take the warning as a gesture of goodwill, not mockery.

As to how often one should check stuff we'll just beg to differ and accept we all have different opinions on such matters eh?

Enjoy your ride, I did until I found something better, is all I'm saying.
  • NatoED
    because pronghorn racing have been registered as a company for 5 years and before that made frames for several European companies . As well as making carbon suspension parts for F1 teams in the sister company .
  • NatoED
    so what your saying is that the 36 different mtb mags from different countries giving it good reviews . as well as friends i have on face book from Spain and Italy who first made me aware of them . So the days of research i spent were all lies , just lies ...... oh the humanity .
  • Dude, don't get wound up, it's just a bike, a very nice bike, you clearly love it, all I'm saying is they went bust a few months ago and left us with stock and undelivered bikes we'd paid for in advance, don't go recommending them to all and sundry they're bad eggs.

There's another outfit up in Scotland sold them before we did, we have all their broken frames in our warehouse, the linkages break, Flying Fox, give them a ring check the intel out for yourself.

This debate ain't doing anyone any good, the more you push the more harm you will end up doing your case, enjoy it for what it is, as long as it holds together you'll be fine, I noticed a new stand out in Eurobike so i guess they may well be back online with new backers.

Here, Pop Quiz, imagine the frame just broke, go ring someone see what response you get, if someone answers the phone and offers an exchange then you're cool, if you get the runaround like we all did, then sorry to have shattered your world.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    ilovedirt wrote:
    You all seem to have forgotten how offensively ugly that pronghorn frame is,

+1

Night riding might save you :wink:

I've had FS and hardtails. Prefer hardtails myself.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    maddog 2 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    You all seem to have forgotten how offensively ugly that pronghorn frame is,

+1

Night riding might save you :wink:

I've had FS and hardtails. Prefer hardtails myself.

And your avatar is a caveman. I detect a pattern forming.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools