Hardtail V full sus debate ends now

NatoED
NatoED Posts: 480
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Well having just built up my pronghorn PR6 XC frame i can say that the debate is over . It's a 100mm travel full sus that is lighter than my hardtail (even with the same parts) . It never bobs when pedalling , even when i'm out of the saddle and stomping as hard as I can . The rear shock was fully open too.

I can't believe how amazing the bike feels . anyone who is wondering weather to go full sus but don't want the pedal bob or have to use lock out see if you can try one somewhere .

Comments

• Whether* :wink:
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    and there is the service issue

some bearing changes are more difficuilt than others and expensive

and how much is an air can service, in edinburgh its £10, but might not be so universally cheap
  • The services don't need to be done too often, so it's full sus for me most of the way.
  • Brood
    Brood Posts: 138
    As a hardtail rider I have no idea about all this servicing stuff.

Is it possible for a novice to learn to service themselves, or is it really better to take it a shop?

Do you service once a year or more frequently?
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011
  • sounds like youv'e single handedly resolved the debate of all debates....well done.

ooohhh erm .....what about those that just prefer the 'ride' of a hardtail?
    And those that prefer the feedback from riding a hardtail?
    And those that prefer the lower maintenance of owning a hardtail?
    And those that cant justify owning a full suss due to the 'type' of riding they might do?

mmm...thiniks the debate will go on and on and on and on and on....

Actually there is no debate - its just personal choice.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    xand_xand wrote:
    sounds like youv'e single handedly resolved the debate of all debates....well done.

And those that cant justify owning a full suss due to the 'type' of riding they might do?

They are obviously idiots and their ill informed opinions are worthless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've got both an FS and [three] hardtail bikes
    They all have their merits, where one excels, another may faulter
    In essence the entire Hartdail vs. FS debate is endless, a little like "Shimano vs. SRAM"
  • adrenalinemunki
    adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
    edited September 2011
    And what about the main differential, the cost?

I would seriously have looked at FS if the price would have been anything like accessible for me... If I'd have chucked my £600 odd quid at FS instead of my Hopper I'd have ended up with, well, not a lot me thinks.

Saying that, I reckon its the same as learning to ride well using flat pedals before considering clipless, you have to learn to do things properly... Probably similar in that riding a hardtail involves having a more correct technique no? using your body as much as possible to absorb the shocks and maintain traction at the back end?
  • cooldad
    No
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Yes!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Maybe!!!1
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • Fanbloodytastic.. been waiting for a new FS v HT thread since I bought my hardtail a month ago.. so I now have a 120mm trail HT (whyte 19 Steel), and a 140 all mountain full suss (Yeti 575), how lucky am I, and my wife didn't even file for divorce (Just)

When it comes down to it, If I got made redundant and had to sell one.. well I'd have to reluctantly say the hardtail, not that I don't love it, in fact it's fantastic and fun and exciting to ride, but at the end of the day, would I take it to the Seven Stanes or the Alps instead of my Yeti, nope, so therefore having a full suss means I have more choice in what I ride.

I can understand why people like to ride a HT, but I can't understand anyone that would say they would never have a FS, at some point, if you want to go faster, over bigger and better terrain, then a FS is the only way.

From what I see, HT riders tend to be quite fit and they don't like the fact that having a FS can slow then down on the climbs which many tend to prefer, whilst FS riders prefer to shred it up on the downhills.

Now we can all sleep at night :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    cooldad wrote:
    No
    ddraver wrote:
    Yes!
    Slow Loris wrote:
    Maybe!!!1
    +1
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    edited September 2011
    :shock:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    I can understand why people like to ride a HT, but I can't understand anyone that would say they would never have a FS, at some point, if you want to go faster, over bigger and better terrain, then a FS is the only way.

From what I see, HT riders tend to be quite fit and they don't like the fact that having a FS can slow then down on the climbs which many tend to prefer, whilst FS riders prefer to shred it up on the downhills.

X2

I started out on a HT as did my riding buddie, I got a FS before him and he was "what the hell have you got that for?" 12months on and he now has a FS.

Horses for courses and they both have good and bad points but I will always be on a FS.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    bails87 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    No
    ddraver wrote:
    Yes!
    Slow Loris wrote:
    Maybe!!!1
    +1
    Potato
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I do too many long climbs and XC riding.
    Prefer to spend my limited budget on a mid range hardtail than a low-end FS.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You all seem to have forgotten how offensively ugly that pronghorn frame is, it's so ugly it makes children cry. Seriously.

(no offense to the thread starter, i just REALLY don't like the look of those pronghorn frames! :lol: )
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • For the truth of the matter i will be thinking it very hard for the next ten minutes so please tune into my brainwaves to find the real answer of what is best....
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    You all seem to have forgotten how offensively ugly that pronghorn frame is..

Just googled it as I'd never heard of them and I have to agree. Also looks like a danger to your wotsits with the shock being above the top-tube like that :shock:
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    You all seem to have forgotten how offensively ugly that pronghorn frame is, it's so ugly it makes children cry. Seriously.

(no offense to the thread starter, i just REALLY don't like the look of those pronghorn frames! :lol: )

Having googled it, I can only assume that the one on their website had been run over. All kinds of wrong.

BlackCut005.jpg4ab9361454a85.jpg

The paperclip bike has competition.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    1500 quid for the frame and shock, plus all the bits... ht makes more sense to me in terms of cost per ride, and it's more maintenance, and if you use the mountainbike for cycle paths or tarmac as well then the HT wins out

so no
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • cooldad wrote:
    xand_xand wrote:
    sounds like youv'e single handedly resolved the debate of all debates....well done.

They are obviously idiots and their ill informed opinions are worthless.

And you matey = Gareth Hunt
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I can find 100 quid hardtail frames that are lighter - so that's the weight 'argument' gone.

Looks like it has a lot of anti squat - I bet there is pedal kickback too in some gears.
  • I honestly hate the fs hardtail debates. Why? Because i proved to myself that each bike has its purpose. I have one of each and i do love my fs to death but there are times i preffer my hardtail. It all depends where. If i did have to choose tho i definately choose the fs. There are times i just lock out my rear shock on the fs when needed.
    Ride !
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    sonic there is zero kick back when I ride it. My comment wasn't meant to be serious . I know there will never be a solution to the HT FS issue.

I have to say It is a really good ride , it feels just like my hard tail on climbs . It is a really nice frame.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, I thought you might have been slightly on the wind up ;-)

Be intersting to see the anti squat charecteristics, as the low dropped chainstay pivot is very similar to early LTS and some current canyons.
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Hardtail? Full Sus? Pah, I rode fully rigid for years. Bunch of pussies. :-)
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    who cares just get and ride thats the whole point in having a bike aint it...

i have both,,, hardtail which i tend to ride more over here (uk) especially through winter (easier to keep clean)
    and 2 full sussers which i use through summer and for trips abroad...
    do i have a preference.. well i would'nt want to use my hardtail in whistler bike park especially the garbanzo zone.
    and i would'nt want to pedal my dh bike up any killer climbs on a big xc loop..
    so for me it depends were and what time of year it is as to which bike i choose....
    in my opinion both have their place...
  • Growmac wrote:
    Hardtail? Full Sus? Pah, I rode fully rigid for years. Bunch of pussies. :-)

Ohh here we go, one of these rigid riders who clogs up the Follow The Dog over the chase :lol: