2»

Comments

• +1 on Bolle safety glasses.

I spend my money on drinking, women and bike kit - the rest I mainly waste

with apologies to George Best
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Keeping warm whilst staying fit is hardly wasting it. Even yesterday I was really envious of the cyclists as I drove my OT into work to pick up the other car from her office car park and then onto my work. At home today, so have cycled to my little boy's childminder's with him, having worked from home. Can't wait to ride in tomorrow, I even got the urge to pump up my tyres. I shall be doing that more frequently in the future given they were both at about 30 and they should be 100!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Forget a cycle computer or a app for your phone.

You REALLY NEED a nice shiny Garmin.

Garmin-800.jpg

Ohhhhh, pweety isn't it? :twisted:
  • joelsim
    BTW point taken about winter boots. Have added those to the list. Any suggestions? I have Shimano PD-M540s.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Joelsim wrote:
    BTW point taken about winter boots. Have added those to the list. Any suggestions? I have Shimano PD-M540s.

Specialized Defrosters, Shimano MW80s, or Northwaves seem to come recommended. Like plastic hats, shoes are best tried in a shop, wearing the socks you're likely to be wearing. If you're certain about sizing, then go for the same make as you already wear, adding about half a size.

Edit: Just seen you've given up smoking... Have you thought about setting up a standing order of e.g. 150 GBP PCM to another bank account. You were already spending the money, but this way, after a year: hey presto! New shiny carbon bling!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • joelsim
    I just can't help myself. Sniff of a bargain and that's me hooked, lined and sinkered.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CMAV0107KK

Yes I have thought about setting up an account, but it won't wash with the missus. A bike = enough bikes. I've struggled to hold on to my old Trek and I have very good reason to, ie leave at the station for days on end when necessary, no clipless, comfortable at 2mph with the boy, no likely to be stolen etc etc.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Joelsim wrote:
    I just can't help myself. Sniff of a bargain and that's me hooked, lined and sinkered.

I did not see that link, I did not see that link, I did not see that link, I did not see that link... :evil:
  • iPete wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I did not see that link, I did not see that link, I did not see that link, I did not see that link... :evil:

Whut?

CMAV0107KK.jpg

and only £56..... bargain.

(thank God I have a decent pair already)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wow those are cheap -^^^^^

The thing i have learnt about cycling is that it doesnt matter if you need it or if you have one - there is always something else that you want - i am tight - Ask mrs Rubertoe and i generally dont part with my money very easily (an example - i have needed a winter coat for at least 3 years - and only just bought one as it was lovely and Cheap) - but when it comes to cycling gear - i quite easily part with it!

Currently scouring the web for winter bits that i will have no problem buying - but getting a new pair of jeans or trainers - they will have to wait until I can find an absolute bargain.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I love a bargain and will only part with cash if the item is discounted. I might not need it now but I will in the future.

At least one or two deliveries per week with cycling goodies.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rapha jeans are back in stock :?
    £150 may be a bit much. Though they do look essential, and sensible, and will surely save me money in the long term, right?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dhope wrote:
    will surely save me money in the long term, right?

Obviously. Think of all the PT fares/petrol you'll save if you're wearing a £150 pair of jeans.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • and now we have Bandana buff!

https://www.kitshack.com/catalogue/index.php/cPath/270

with breathing holes for mouth and nose!

430003.JPG
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Whut?

CMAV0107KK.jpg

and only £56..... bargain.

(thank God I have a decent pair already)

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Can't find a size guide, think i'll have a punt at medium.

To be fair, one pair of full bibs is not enough for winter riding 4-5 days a week! After this I'm done... honest :oops:
  • joelsim
    I found a size guide yesterday. I ordered large. I'm 5'10, with a 34 inch waist and 40 inch chest (or thereabouts). They are French so possibly a tad smaller than UK brands who need to cater for meat pies and doner kebabs rather than frogs legs and strings of onions.
  • [/quote]
    Yes I have thought about setting up an account, but it won't wash with the missus. A bike = enough bikes.

You defiantly need a new wife in order to spend more.
    Although having two would probably be worse! :lol:
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dhope wrote:
    £150 may be a bit much. Though they do look essential, and sensible, and will surely save me money in the long term, right?

I've got a £30 voucher you can have for £40
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Clever Pun wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Excellent, I've got a +50% voucher too so that should bring things down to £235
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    Joelsim wrote:
    I found a size guide yesterday. I ordered large. I'm 5'10, with a 34 inch waist and 40 inch chest (or thereabouts). They are French so possibly a tad smaller than UK brands who need to cater for meat pies and doner kebabs rather than frogs legs and strings of onions.

Thanks, went for medium 5'9, 32 waist, 38 chest!
  • Clever Pun
    dhope wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Excellent, I've got a +50% voucher too so that should bring things down to £235

just looked at my kit and had a flash on panic that I had no rapha today... then remembered the base layer...phew
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol::lol: @ CP
  • I may* have bought the Rapha jeans last night.

*Ok, so I did.

But I needed some new jeans anyway... :roll:
  • Clever Pun
    I may* have bought the Rapha jeans last night.

*Ok, so I did.

I'd like a pair, but I really need to try them on first.

Excellent work; and you said the French Laundry was too expensive :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I may* have bought the Rapha jeans last night.

*Ok, so I did.

I'd like a pair, but I really need to try them on first.

Excellent work; and you said the French Laundry was too expensive :lol:

Touche.

The money I'd save if I didn't have an email address...
  • Yes I have thought about setting up an account, but it won't wash with the missus. A bike = enough bikes. [/quote]

I would not worry too much - at the rate you are going you will be single soon enough.

I have not bought anything other than essentials - new tyres / tubes & helmet post crash for about 4 years now.

admittedly my bib shorts have a few holes in unstrategic places