I really need to stop spending

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I know I'm a noob to the cycling commute this year and therefore obviously some kit needs to be purchased, but for some reason I can't stop spending, even though I'm skint at the moment. Pretty much all of what I have bought has been on a deal of some sort, typically half price or thereabouts, but still.. my credit card man is rubbing his hands and I've never been one for using a credit card before!

So far have bought.

Boardman Hybrid Pro
Conti gator hardshells
Shimano clipless
DHB shoes
2 pairs of padded lycra shorts
2 Rapha long sleeved polos
3 Rapha base layers
1 Icebreaker base layer
2 On-one merino tops
Gore Oxygen bib tights
Gore Vista tights
Rapha beanie
2 sets of Cat Eye lights
2 Knog lights
Altura windproof yellow jacket
Catlike helmet
Endura Venturi jacket
Endura overtrousers
2 good locks
Track pump
Spare tube
Puncture repair kit
2 bottles, one insulated for coffees in winter

And that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head.

Help, I'm turning into the cycling Imelda Marcos!

Comments

• You wasted your money on the overtrousers. I bought a pair years ago and never wore them. :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I really wouldn't worry about it at the moment, I'm in the same boat :shock:

Mind you, the sales are always the best times to buy stuff you should have bought the previous year/need for the coming year/fancy the look of 8)

In any event, we are doing out bit for the economy :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    This happens.

About to pull the trigger on stuff I don't *really* need
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Helpful financial advice from KB there. And, with the money you should have saved, you should've bought some mitts, and some gloves for the colder weather.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You need N+1 to go with all that extra gear. A nice road bike would be good.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You also need more spare tubes, one is not enough, and different tyres for the winter. Spare wheels are good......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • and thermal socks

We're not helping here are we?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Plus, I can't see glasses - they help keep the cold off in winter, as does a buff - best thing to buy for Winter cycling as far as keeping your face / head / ears warm.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • davis
    Oh yes, definitely a buff. Merino's the only way to go really, and you'd probably want a couple. Might need some panniers to put on that N+1 to carry all this clobber, and some mudguards to keep all of it dry
  • Overshoes or winter SPD shoes as well, don't forget them.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    I really wouldn't worry about it at the moment, I'm in the same boat :shock:

+1 started cycling early this year and seemingly have been on a spending spree ever since. Clothes; jackets, base layers, shorts, shoes, upgrades; tyres, handle bars, peddles, also computer, lights & more lights, packs (now have 4 of them!) its been none stop. This is before I start looking at getting a road bike later this year :) Totally got the bug.
    Overshoes or winter SPD shoes as well, don't forget them.

I'm looking at those now :wink:
  • Assuming you are married...you will need a new wife soon too.
  • davis
    You're probably going to need quite a tool collection so that you can do the maintenance yourself (money-saving, y'see), so get yourself over to Park Tools and find what you require. You'll need a whip, chain breaker, cassette locknut tool, cable cutters, BB tool, a selection of decent allen keys, a torque wrench, and 11 different kinds of grease to start with.
  • davis wrote:
    You're probably going to need quite a tool collection so that you can do the maintenance yourself (money-saving, y'see), so get yourself over to Park Tools and find what you require. You'll need a whip, chain breaker, cassette locknut tool, cable cutters, BB tool, a selection of decent allen keys, a torque wrench, and 11 different kinds of grease to start with.

And a workstand, don't forget the workstand..... saves you money you know!! :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Uh huh, this all sounds essential.

If it's not then I've wasted a lot of money :oops:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think I spend more money on food when cycling than I do on fuel when driving to work! And that's before we start counting the bike itself, tools, workstand, shoes, pedals, lights, saddles, tyres, mudguards, BC membership, bags, locks, pumps....

Saves money y'know.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • davis
    I completely forgot: You're going to have to start building your own wheels too: shop-bought ones are so expensive. All you need are a few more tools, a truing stand and a dishing gauge. You can buy Roger Musson's which tells you how to do it cheaply.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    All essential stuff. I'm struggling with cutting back on spending because I'm already tight as a number of proverbial things. But all of the above, and more, is essential. Can't skimp on any of that.
  • Don't forget the security! :wink:
  • My God. You've missed out a cycle computer. Can't do without a cycle computer!

(waits for the rest of the computer list to pop up...)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    And the cost of moving to a new house, with space to keep the bikes inside.

And a new car, big enough to fit a bike in.

This is all essential stuff that will save money in the long run.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm going into my 3rd Winter and its taken me 2 years of constant buying to have everything I 'need' and stop buying!!

I've been going a week now, so far so good :lol:
  • rrice
    rrice Posts: 23
    GT 85 and Muc Off is also much cheaper when bought by the pallet load - don't forget that.
    S-Works Enduro
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000
    Cannondale Rush 2
    Kona Explosif
    Mythic Morphine
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Carrera TDF
  • See, call me a stingy b'stard but I have slowly built up my kit. When I 1st started commuting I had an old hybrid my dad put together and I used to ride with trackie bottoms tucked into footy socks and standard cotton T shirts and rucksack. Bit by bit I have upgraded when I have seen things in the sales, I don't think I have ever paid full RRP for anything I own. I still commute in cotton sleevless T shirts for that urban look and save my "proper" cycling gear for "proper" club rides. I never buy overpriced Rapha or Castelli stuff and I'm still solvent!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    somehow I manage to survive on a few essentials when it comes to cycling, I do however have a thing about jerseys and have gathered a rather large collection :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Runoutofgears
    Runoutofgears Posts: 348
    edited September 2011
    My cycling expenditure initially was well under control, I bought a bike on the cycle to work scheme and I very much had a make do attitude. Things started to go wrong when I became more enthusiastic, I would no longer accept riding in tee shirts and jeans, I had to have cycling specific gear, then the need for more than one bike started, this then developed over the years to upgrading components from what I once thought was great for the next range up. Then just when I thought I’d reached a plateau, I find myself replacing stuff that is genuinely worn out, I guess there is no shame in this but it’s still a cost.

I’ve given up making excuses for the receipts which appear in my home accounts, my “Accountant “ is Mrs ROOG!

The up-shot of all my enthusiastic cycling is that I am now much healthier than I was 5 years ago and that is excuse enough for me. Oddly my Gym kit expenses, (not including the fees), shorts, running shoes, tee shirts etc have been minimal. Best not mention this to the accountant!

If I were to offer any advice to the OP, I would say make do and enjoy your cycling, the vast majority of the extra expense is fluff!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    bails87 wrote:
    I think I spend more money on food when cycling than I do on fuel when driving to work! And that's before we start counting the bike itself, tools, workstand, shoes, pedals, lights, saddles, tyres, mudguards, BC membership, bags, locks, pumps....

Saves money y'know.

This is true. If I bought sandwiches (rather than wife made) the extra spending would have been more than the fuel I put in my Ducati.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Well in addition to the 'potential' monthly saving of £250, I also quit smoking which gives me a further £200 to play with.

I know I still need a few things ie
    - winter socks
    - overshoes
    - gloves
    - buff

Probably got everything else. I have bought Cyclemeter for my iPhone so a computer could be a present I guess, no immediate need for one.

BTW thanks for all the suggestions too, it's nice to know I'm in good company.

Now, where's the next sale item coming from.

Finally, on to glasses. I bought some, which is the only item I haven't got a good deal on. Team issue Rapha Condor Sharp Havik 2 glasses. Got into a bidding war on eBay. I haven't worn them.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Plus, I can't see glasses - they help keep the cold off in winter, as does a buff - best thing to buy for Winter cycling as far as keeping your face / head / ears warm.

rapha neck warmer > buff
    Reassuringly expensive too :lol:

don't bother with overshoes (except for summer)
    winter boots are much better
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Glasses wise - bolle safety specs for 7-8 quid each.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]