Why not underneath?

Or am I just being strange?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• I don't think you should be mounting lights at all, you are indeed very strange.

Also, some lights aren't waterproof upside-down.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't think you should be mounting lights at all, you are indeed very strange.

Then they're not really waterproof at all are they?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    I don't think you should be mounting lights at all, you are indeed very strange.

Water-resistant then. :roll:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Why not underneath?

Or am I just being strange?
    I hang mine underneath; did try them on the sides sticking out from the last couple of inches of the drops, like a frog in some respects, but kept banging them on doors & bannisters so reverted to the underhang approach. It works brilliantly if you ask me - smart move Mr Burns.

I did have a light that interfered with the speedo, which is why I started to put them further away underneath, in case you wondered.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I was enormously proud of myself last night as I winterized the CX. I worked out how to mount a Knog Gekko around the bars and the stem so that it sits perfectly on top of the stem faceplate. Takes up no cockpit room at all that way (and looks very cool to boot).

I have a problem though with my MiNewt 150 cordless though as the bars on the CX are too fat for the clamp unless I put it really close to one of the hoods - not ideal.

Need to engage engineering head........
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

Water-resistant then. :roll:

:D
    MTB/CX

• The reason I asked was because my Hope Vision 1 is a bit bulbous sitting on the top of the bars and bugs me seeing it there, so I thought about mounting it underneath where it's not in my field of vision.

Plus, if you were to say, get a Vision 4 - that things so huge it'd be affecting your field of vision itself - mounted on TOP of the bars.

So, I thought, why not underneath?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    The reason I asked was because my Hope Vision 1 is a bit bulbous sitting on the top of the bars and bugs me seeing it there, so I thought about mounting it underneath where it's not in my field of vision.

Plus, if you were to say, get a Vision 4 - that things so huge it'd be affecting your field of vision itself - mounted on TOP of the bars.

Does it then have to shine 'through' the cables at the front of the bike?

I'm sure it would still be plenty visible, but the shadow of the cables on the road would bug me. :oops:
    MTB/CX

• SimonAH wrote:
    I was enormously proud of myself last night as I winterized the CX. I worked out how to mount a Knog Gekko around the bars and the stem so that it sits perfectly on top of the stem faceplate. Takes up no cockpit room at all that way (and looks very cool to boot).

Pics please, am intrigued!
  • You get the shadow anyway - as the cables loop around the front of the bike regardless

(I almost deliberately put irregardless then, but the explosion from the grammar police would probably cause the Mayan prophecy to come true a little early :wink: )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • SimonAH
    The only issue that I can see is if the lens is shaped for orientation in the vertical plane.

I used to have two quad LEDs slung beneath the bars on my Vanquish, looked much tidier than on top.

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can do it with the Vision 1. Make sure it's tightly clamped though, as it has a tendency to point upwards when it's inverted.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I've been tempted to before, but similar to what SimonAH said, noticed that the 'Bespoke' (smart?) lights I have are molded around the lense in a way that lets the light downwards but blocks it somewhat upwards..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • bails87
    You get the shadow anyway - as the cables loop around the front of the bike regardless

Good point, I get one cable just creeping into the edge of the light, that's bad enough, they're all lower down and out of the way on my MTB. I think the newer STIs put both cables under the bar tape, rather than just the brake cable, which would help.
    SimonAH wrote:
    The only issue that I can see is if the lens is shaped for orientation in the vertical plane.

Good point, I used a Light and Motion MTB light and that was definitely 'shaped' at the bottom of the beam, turning it upside down would be worse than having a simple round spread of light.
    MTB/CX

• antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    The reason I asked was because my Hope Vision 1 is a bit bulbous sitting on the top of the bars and bugs me seeing it there, so I thought about mounting it underneath where it's not in my field of vision.

same here - I hang the vision 1 during winter when on full, as it creates annoying shadows and the reflection from the cables annoys me.
  • I use one of these, mounted pointing down from the stem so the lights can be fitted on the top of the extender avoiding any water ingress issues.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Xtras/BarXtender

My only complain is that I could do with it being wider as my CatEye lights are very wide and its a tight fit to get them both on.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wouldn't you knock it off when you were out of the saddle?

My knees come quite close to my handlebars when I'm doing my best Contador impersonation.
  • The reason I asked was because my Hope Vision 1 is a bit bulbous sitting on the top of the bars and bugs me seeing it there, so I thought about mounting it underneath where it's not in my field of vision.

That's exactly what I do with my Hope - no water ingress issues, the silly clamp is easier to access and it seems altogether neater.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    As requested;

Gekko.jpg

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    bails87 wrote:

Does it then have to shine 'through' the cables at the front of the bike?

I'm sure it would still be plenty visible, but the shadow of the cables on the road would bug me. :oops:

In that case move to Campag, you know it's the only sensible option :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Simon that pic shows what you explained, but it doesn't show how you attached it unless I'm missing something?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Simon that pic shows what you explained, but it doesn't show how you attached it unless I'm missing something?

Looks like take the stem clamp off , remove handlebar, slot the Knog hole over - put back on - clip the knog together.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    The buttons for my front light are on the top of the light, if I mounted them under the front bar the button would be on the bottom not ideal.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    Sorry CP,

Nothing too clever. The light attaches via a rubber loop (you can see it emerging from the top left and right of the housing) that is then pulled around the handlebar and hooked over a clip on the bottom of the light.

All I did was to remove my bars from the stem and pass the stem through the loop. Now the loop goes either side of the stem and hooks onto the bottom of the light housing as standard. Just a little lateral thinking, nothing fancy.

Does mean that a scrote can't just unclip it from the bike and walk off with it too.....

• Sketchley wrote:
    The buttons for my front light are on the top of the light, if I mounted them under the front bar the button would be on the bottom not ideal.

Not a problem for me. You obviously need more practice at finding a little button with your fingertip that you can't see :wink::lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sketchley wrote:

Not a problem for me. You obviously need more practice at finding a little button with your fingertip that you can't see :wink::lol:

You're a proctologist?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

You're a proctologist?

Wrong bottom.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I mount mine upside down - Used like that for the whole of last winter and a very wet LEJOG ride this summer:

DSC00651.jpg

Saves space - I wouldn't be able to fit the computer next to it if it wasn't upside down.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

You're a proctologist?

Wrong bottom.

You have two bottoms?

Suppose it's not that rare, since my mate Tom has two as well. Just the other day my brother and I went to the pub with him and one of the locals said 'Here's Tom with the two arseholes'...........
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I use one of these, mounted pointing down from the stem so the lights can be fitted on the top of the extender avoiding any water ingress issues.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Xtras/BarXtender.

I use the same to mount a MiNewt 200, Cateye blinky and an RSP light on top; were it underneath the front luggage bag would block the light,