pockets on jeans

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Why TF do they have to sling ar$e pockets so low on modern cut jeans? Sit down in the car and you have to get straight back out to take out your wallet because it's impossible to drive safely with one buttock balanced on an inch of plastic, paper and smartcards.

My chinos are fine. So are my suit trousers. What is it with fookin' jeans?

(perhaps should be in rants)
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yes, should be in rants, but you are right. Consider carrying less crap in your wallet.

(Or get a handbag)
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Yes, should be in rants, but you are right. Consider carrying less crap in your wallet.

(Or get a handbag)

Mwah!

You have a point, but even cleansed of.receipts my wallet is a good.inch.thick with the sh1t required by life. Tell me yours is thinner.

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nah, its at least the same, but the girls tell me its more about girth, anyway!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Wallet?

In your pocket?

What do you put in your man bag?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    rjsterry wrote:
    Wallet?

In your pocket?

What do you put in your man bag?

Moisturiser?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    Why TF do they have to sling ar$e pockets so low on modern cut jeans? Sit down in the car and you have to get straight back out to take out your wallet because it's impossible to drive safely with one buttock balanced on an inch of plastic, paper and smartcards.

Are you buying hipster jeans to show off your whale tale?
  • SimonAH
    Hipster jeans? Good lord man, no. No skinny jeans could ever contain the power of my ripped thighs and crunchin' butt cheeks.

Seriously though, I did an audit of the five or six pairs of jeans in my wardrobe that come under the 'bought in the last five years and fit to wear in public' heading and every damn one of them has the back pockets slung really low (and they are all plain, straight leg, blue denim jeans).

Digging into the strata of 'older friends that are very comfy for slouching around the house in but not for public view' and I find the pockets (regardless of brand of jeans) up where they ought to be so that when sitting the wallet is behind and not beneath you.

From this I can only conclude that about five years ago a southward pocket migration began. I confidently predict that the wallet issue will get worse until, in about 2017, it stops being a problem as the back pockets will be located at the back of the calves and will no longer interfere with sitting down.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

This is an interesting, and totally off topic point.

Can a proper cyclist (i.e. one with proper thighs and arse) pull off skinny jeans with aplomb? (assuming that's possible for a moment)

I can't tell you how ridiculous it looks on me, and I assume it's because I've got cycling thighs and arse.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SimonAH
    Maybe you need to pull your trousers up higher. Waistband around the bottom of the ribs should do it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    bails87 wrote:
    SimonAH
    Maybe you need to pull your trousers up higher. Waistband around the bottom of the ribs should do it.

He needs to wear them lower like the 'yoof' of today then it would be about mid way down the back of his leg and out the way when he sat down.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Can a proper cyclist (i.e. one with proper thighs and ars*) pull off skinny jeans with aplomb? (assuming that's possible for a moment)

I can't tell you how ridiculous it looks on me, and I assume it's because I've got cycling thighs and ars*.

Can't even get in to quite a lot of non-skinny jeans without going two sizes up on the waist, so no chance for me. Maybe this is what us cyclists need
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited September 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Can a proper cyclist (i.e. one with proper thighs and ars*) pull off skinny jeans with aplomb? (assuming that's possible for a moment)

I can't tell you how ridiculous it looks on me, and I assume it's because I've got cycling thighs and ars*.

I tried on a Pair of Slim fit suit Trousers over the weekend - it did not leave anything to the imagination at all - My GF and fashionista Jaw droped when i showed her -

i would never even contemplate a pair of Skinny jeans, i would never get them over my my thighs - loose fit all the way for me!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited September 2011
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Can't even get in to quite a lot of non-skinny jeans without going two sizes up on the waist, so no chance for me. Maybe this is what us cyclists need

33" inside leg, 29" waist, proper thigh and the backside is bulking nicely.

He's me in the office.

80223.jpg

Sorted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Torvid wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    SimonAH

He needs to wear them lower like the 'yoof' of today then it would be about mid way down the back of his leg and out the way when he sat down.
    I'd happily pull a gun these days on everyone I see wearing jeans round their crotch. Kuffing scum. What's it all about, wearing trousers in such a way that you can't walk properly, the whole world gets to see your ugly ridiculous underpants and you look like nothing more than a complete and utter tool? I know that old myth about mimicking gangsta boys in jail who have belts etc removed for personal safety reasons, but a bunch of white middle class teenagers in a shop? Gaaah. Pull your trousers up and wear a belt, you bunch of idiotic moronic half-wits. I don't want to see your Y fronts. Sodding yoof of today...
  • notsoblue
    Er, I can't get skinny jeans on over my calves, let alone my thighs... Anyway, I don't think showing off a muffin top is worth the infertility.
  • notsoblue
    CiB wrote:
    I'd happily pull a gun these days on everyone I see wearing jeans round their crotch. Kuffing scum. What's it all about, wearing trousers in such a way that you can't walk properly, the whole world gets to see your ugly ridiculous underpants and you look like nothing more than a complete and utter tool? I know that old myth about mimicking gangsta boys in jail who have belts etc removed for personal safety reasons, but a bunch of white middle class teenagers in a shop? Gaaah. Pull your trousers up and wear a belt, you bunch of idiotic moronic half-wits. I don't want to see your Y fronts. Sodding yoof of today...

Adult is bewildered to the point of rage by teenage fashion. Hold the front page ;)
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Have 30" waist but can't fit in anything less than a 32" trouser on the basis that sometimes I can't even get the muthas on! Recent style changes in gents suits to remove the pleat at the front always left me feeling tight and a little "exposed" in the office, once had my thighs measured and they are same diameter as my waist add that to my burgeoning glutes, skinny jeans are for girls - look a lot better on them too.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    notsoblue wrote:
    Adult is bewildered to the point of rage by teenage fashion. Hold the front page ;)
    Except it's not teenagers is it? It's everyone these days, blokes in their 20s & 30s, half of Wembley last night, too many on the underground afterwards. Who's decided that pulling your trousers down to the point where they become uncomfortable and pulling your undercrackers up way above your navel is a good thing? Who can possibly dress in the morning and then think to themselves 'f u ck this. I'll adjust things a bit so I look like a p!ssed-up toddler instead'?
  • notsoblue
    CiB wrote:
    Except it's not teenagers is it? It's everyone these days, blokes in their 20s & 30s, half of Wembley last night, too many on the underground afterwards. Who's decided that pulling your trousers down to the point where they become uncomfortable and pulling your undercrackers up way above your navel is a good thing? Who can possibly dress in the morning and then think to themselves 'f u ck this. I'll adjust things a bit so I look like a p!ssed-up toddler instead'?

I totally agree, they look like they got dressed on ketamine, but I find it difficult to get wound up about it. Its just another tribal style, like back combed proto sloanes. London probably isn't the place for you if you get this angry about people who have different ideas about what they should look like! :P
  • Ha! listen to you all laughing at low-slung jeans while all trying to squeeze into skinny (D*ckhead) ones!
  • asprilla
    Ha! listen to you all laughing at low-slung jeans while all trying to squeeze into skinny (D*ckhead) ones!

Nope, just somewhere in between.

The problem is finding jeans that can fit long legs and a narrow waist whilst still fitting over ample thighs. Most jeans will come with a leg length that is waist+two inches and that's a kicker if, like me, your leg is waist+four inches (actually +five inches in jeans).

Now most manufacturers assume that if you have a skinny waist and long legs this is because you are some kind of hipster and so need skinny drainpipes. You can see the problems cyclist thighs might cause with this. I can't even get into 501s, the worlds best selling jean, as for my waist, in fact for a 32" waist rather than a 30" they won't go over my legs.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Asprilla wrote:
    I can't even get into 501s, the worlds best selling jean, as for my waist, in fact for a 32" waist rather than a 30" they won't go over my legs.

Not quiet as thin round the middle as you but my last couple of pairs of superdry jeans have had wide long legs to smaller waists.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Sit down in the car and you have to get straight back out to take out your wallet because it's impossible to drive safely with one buttock balanced on an inch of plastic, paper and smartcards.

Don't put your wallet in your back pocket, I've heard it's more prone to pickpockets and bad for your posture when sitting.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • SimonAH
    And so where Mr Pedant (he phrases carefully) where would you like me to put my wallet when dressed in jeans and a teeshirt?

.............eh? Answer me that!

• notsoblue
    SimonAH wrote:
    And so where Mr Pedant (he phrases carefully) where would you like me to put my wallet when dressed in jeans and a teeshirt?

my-little-pony-backpack-647.jpg
  • Levi 501 FTW!

Work for me every time. About the only bloody jeans I can find that allow my flipping thighs and calves to fit - and the pockets are on the a*se.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH wrote:

Well... I actually keep mine in my front jeans pocket with my phone*, hopefully I'd notice any pickpocket groping around trying to retrieve it from there. (whether I'd stop them or not would depend on the gender and attractiveness of said tea leaf).

I do however have a small (and usually empty) wallet and an old but titchy phone. I can see that anyone with a well stuffed wallet may be averse to this idea.

PP

* I am aware that this is probably irradiating my nads but the wallet argument still stands and I don't want any more kids anyway :wink:
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • asprilla
    More to the point, other than visits to Barcelona or the set of Oliver! I wasn't aware that pick pocketing was an issue any more.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

my-little-pony-backpack-647.jpg

What I said back on page 1 (sort of). 'Tis a problem, it's true. Front or back is uncomfortable/makes you a very odd shape.

Re: pickpocketting, the few times I have jammed my wallet into my back pocket, it's fitted so snugly that when I've gone to pay for something in a shop there has ensued a very undignified escapologist-like routine as I try and get the wallet out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• For those of you who want to wear denim, ride your bike and still look soooo cool. There is only one choice. :shock:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/07/07/whe ... ling-kits/