Smart 1/2 Watt problems

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asprilla wrote:
    Having used Cat Eyes, Blackburn Mars, Knogs, Smarts and Blackburn Fleas in the last two years and had them all die doe to water ingress I've not settled on a Fibre Flare down one seat stay.

It's lasted so far and it's fairly bright.

Not sure if the same make but I recall seeing someone with such a light on his seatstay last year. Mind you, I only saw him when I was very close to him..........

Unfocussed light - doesn't travel far. Maybe these are better but the one I saw was pretty hopeless.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Exposure Flares or Fibre Flares?
    Exposure. Quite fancy a couple of those Fibre Flares on the seatstays, mind.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I have a Fibre Flare that died on me, it was replaced for free by CRC though. They do go very dim without it being obvious, it's very gradual, so it's only when you put new batteries in that you realise how dim it's been. I use mine as a backup along with my 1/2 watt.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks all. Will try vaseline. Also think attaching lights to my bag rather than seatpost might help. Don't have 'guards and will not be getting them.
    There will be a pretty good stream of water coming off your tyre and there's not many lights out there which will be completely impervious.

I had one of these lights for years without problems, but on my commuter with guards. Given that I live in Scotland, reputed to be a wet place, I think that its one of the better lights you can get for the money.

Try covering up the bottom part of the seal with some electrical or duct tape across the bottom part of the joint (the most powerful led is at the top anyway).
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Completely randomness from the back light last night. On, off, flash, off. Opened up when I got home to find a river residing in in. Dried out and some 'new skin' put on the seal to hopefully seal it up. Will see how it goes.
  • ...sigh...

Had to get my lights out for the 1st time this morning (since Spring). Very grey and miserable so decided the extra lumens would be a good idea.

Amazingly - my LD1100 which has sat on the rack (screwed on) worked perfectly. I've left it on there since Winter last year and it's still bone dry inside :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • My Smart decided enough was enough this morning. Went over a rut and the cover popped off, and was promptly run over. Brilliant. Damn thing lasted 4 commutes. Despite reservations I'm going back to Knogs attached to my bag. Hopefully the new models will be better.

FFS.
  • Now has anyone ever come across Princeton Tec lights? I see Vanilla have on on sale: http://www.vanillabikes.com/Products/Princeton_Tec_Bike_Swerve
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've had my lights (Smart) on for the last couple of days with wind and rain and they've been fine. I think mudguards make the biggest difference to the amount of water that gets to them. If you don't have guards would mounting the light on a seat stay so it's not in line with the back wheel help? You may have already done this in which case I'll shut up.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    At the costly end of the scale is the magicshine mj-818

http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk/magicshine-mj-818-rear-bike-light-set.php?item=38&gclid=CNq7j5LuiqsCFeMJtAodI1gtvg

We used these and the mj-816 front lights during RAAM (and all our training) and they were bullet proof. The rear light is incredibly powerful and we were easily able to spot them from well over a mile away in the desert! They mount using thick rubber bands so you can take them off really easily and there is no bracket left behind.

The front is OTT for city commuting obviously but for unlit roads its the best light i have found.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Try wrapping your Smart lights in Clingfilm.

I did this last year and although I try to avoid riding in the wet, they are still working this year. The clingfilm does need changing every couple of weeks or so but it solved this problem for me
  • Now has anyone ever come across Princeton Tec lights? I see Vanilla have on on sale: http://www.vanillabikes.com/Products/Princeton_Tec_Bike_Swerve

Those lights look pretty much the same as Smart lights, with the seal running round the middle, wouldn't expect them to be any more waterproof.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    BUMPAGE

Did you find any alternative lights?

I've just seen these on the front page, look like the perfect secondary lights for winter, waterproof and USB charge.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/j ... tees-31624

1315390738328-1fecrh54izytn-280-75.jpg
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    My smart 1/2 Watt has worked for 3-years now.

I do have mudguards, but the washer looks good. I have a 2xAA smart front light on my bike, but that is a bit poor.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    My Smart has been binned after giving up again last night. Back to a Boomer and a Cateye - see whether they last.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    My smart 1/2 Watt has worked for 3-years now.

I do have mudguards, but the washer looks good. I have a 2xAA smart front light on my bike, but that is a bit poor.

Mudguards are definitely the key with Smart rear lights... Without them and the light'll most likely stop working in the next rain shower...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,949
    Try wrapping your Smart lights in Clingfilm.

I did this last year and although I try to avoid riding in the wet, they are still working this year. The clingfilm does need changing every couple of weeks or so but it solved this problem for me

That was occurred to me whilst reading this thread, surely cling film, or a plastic (clear!) bag with a space for the clip would do the trick?

Would also reduce the risk of the cover coming off.

By personal preferences are the Smarts and the Blackburn 4.0 lights.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • +1 on the Smart being pants. Slightest bit of rain and it dies, then it turns on/off seemingly at random - dangerous when commuting as you can't tell it's not working. The clips holding it together seem to have worn so it falls apart at the slightest touch now so it's currently sellotaped together. Shame as it really is bright and I like the constant + flash mode.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • R_T_A wrote:
    Try the Exposure Flash/Flare combo. They're bright, really well made, small (fit in hand) and aluminium case so very light. Perfect for commuting with the rechargeable battery option.

Like everyone else, I got fed up with forking out for lights every year. Still performing well even after the recent deluges:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-flashflare-light-pack-with-rechargable-batteries/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

+1

these are the only lights i and my family have used over the last 12 months that have kept working in all conditions. The knogg's and Smart's are now retired for emergency use only. Expensive but reliable and dammed bright. I run them both on pulse and the lash will go on my helmet now i have a dynamo front light on my new bike.
    Oh and my flare was run over by a taxi when the bag it was attached to came off-it still works just fine.
  • bobinski wrote:
    R_T_A wrote:
    Try the Exposure Flash/Flare combo. They're bright, really well made, small (fit in hand) and aluminium case so very light. Perfect for commuting with the rechargeable battery option.

Like everyone else, I got fed up with forking out for lights every year. Still performing well even after the recent deluges:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-flashflare-light-pack-with-rechargable-batteries/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

+1

these are the only lights i and my family have used over the last 12 months that have kept working in all conditions. The knogg's and Smart's are now retired for emergency use only. Expensive but reliable and dammed bright. I run them both on pulse and the lash will go on my helmet now i have a dynamo front light on my new bike.
    Oh and my flare was run over by a taxi when the bag it was attached to came off-it still works just fine.

I like the idea of a Flare on the rear but they take special lithium batts and I've invested in loads of rechargeable AA and AAAs and an intelligent charger so don't want to have to get a whole new charging system....
  • My Smart half-watt is still working, after 2 years living on the bike. I also have a Cateye 1100 which must be 4 or 5 years old and also lives on the bike. Other lights like the Cateye 150 and Halfords flashers have failed when the switch has perished, but not at the seals. That's for year-round commuting in Aberdeen and Stavanger, with full mudguards.
    The only light I've had that has let water in was a Cateye singleshot plus.