Smart 1/2 Watt problems

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Recently bought a Smart Front/Rear light set from Planet X - was cheap and they seem well though of. The rear light has been used twice in the rain and is already letting a little water in. As a result the light keeps turning itself on and off at will. Anyone else had problems. Don't know whether to replace or refund.

On another note, why does no one make reliable, waterproof lights. I've gone through so many. Love the Knog design - lack of mount etc, but had so much trouble with those last year. Have tried and hated Cateye as well.

Meh.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bit of grease.vaseline on the rubber seal between the plastic parts of the case? I do it by default on all my lights and have never had a problem with water getting in.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    There's a thread about this on the commuting workshop bit. I think silicon grease around the seal sounded like a good bet. Vaseline should work though.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I used to have this problem with the 1W lights (I have two of them). Vaseline on the "seal" and mudguards seems to have solved the problem.

If you're looking for an alternative, Blackburn Mars seems very good in the wet, but mine bounced out of its bracket somewhere on the A24...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    I have an ancient VistaLite - maybe 10 years old - that was still going strong until a week or so ago, when the clip mysteriously unscrewed itself from the body of the light. Luckily have the clip and light (it fell off on Clapham Common) , but now need to find two very small machine screws. I think thew key to it's continued waterproofness is that the back and front parts of the light are screwed together, and in tightening the screws, the gasket is compressed, forming a really good seal. Don't know which models are screwed together these days.

My old Cateye has lasted pretty well also, and is only now non-waterproof after having been sat on and cracked.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • This is a perpetual problem with Smart lights of any wattage IME. I keep buying them because they end up in sales going for a song, but they can be a PITA, I've had 5 or 6 over the years. 2 of them have bvroken down completely after rain. They improved the design slightly of the 1 watt lights but even those have problems in the rain I find. They were clearly designed by a fairweather cyclist, probably someone living in California or something...

The best way to stop the problems is to have mudguards, it's not the rain itself but the spray off the back wheel that kills them. If you don't have mudguards then a bit of grease or Vaseline round the seal helps, but even that lets water in sometimes...

Another thing to do is to remove the batts after you have ridden in the rain because I sometimes find that even though they appear to have survived the ride in the rain, you switch them off but water ingress means they turn themselves back on again in your bag or attached to the bike whilst it's parked and next time you want to use them, the batts are flat.

I found Cat Eye lights to be better in terms of waterproofing but the mounts are sh!t so they end up bouncing off into the road and getting run over...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks all. Will try vaseline. Also think attaching lights to my bag rather than seatpost might help. Don't have 'guards and will not be getting them.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Had two die from the rain and one fall off. So more than happy to splash out on a Hope District, expensive but reliable. Enough to buy 15 Smarts but I'd probably go through that many in a couple of winters!

p.s. put some guards on you tart :wink:
  • Hope lights. Waterproof, never mind water resistant (well the vision 2 certainly is)

and Yes, I paid a lot of money for my lights >£250 in total but I cycle down unlit country lanes in Winter and I value my life.

(oh and I DO have cateye lights on the back - been through multiple Winters without missing a beat... I do have mudguards.)

(Hope Vision 2 + 1 on the front, Cateye LD1100 and LD610 on the rear)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    and Yes, I paid a lot of money for my lights >£250 in total but I cycle down unlit country lanes in Winter and I value my life.

Two RSPs and a torch from Lidl will cover me this winter for about £90. Blindingly bright combination - nobody will miss you on the unlits. No idea how long the torch will keep power for but the RSPs last about a week between charges.

Main potential bother is that the much recommended Twofish mount seems to allow more wobble than I'd like but possibly it won't notice on the road.

As for the rears - vaseline has worked for a couple of winters for me on the Smart 0.5 and 1 watts but I think units that have previously gone funny can remain troublesome irrespective of the vaseline. Still, if you carry a spare there's no problem.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cycling specific lights put the illumination where it's needed and not into oncoming drivers eyes - it's all well and good being seen, but when you dazzle someone driving towards you at 60mph you can end up:

a) p*ssing people off
    b) smeared across the bonnet of a blinded driver
    c) the witness to a car embedded in a hedge
    d) p*ssing people off
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Recently bought a Smart Front/Rear light set from Planet X - was cheap and they seem well though of. The rear light has been used twice in the rain and is already letting a little water in. As a result the light keeps turning itself on and off at will. Anyone else had problems. Don't know whether to replace or refund.

On another note, why does no one make reliable, waterproof lights. I've gone through so many. Love the Knog design - lack of mount etc, but had so much trouble with those last year. Have tried and hated Cateye as well.

Meh.

Used mine last night and it is a complete and utter pile of w@nk. It turned itself on mid-commute and then wouldn't go out without opening and ripping the batteries out. Even worse than the Knog I had which would turn on but not off, and then decide not to turn on.
  • rolf_f
    Cycling specific lights put the illumination where it's needed and not into oncoming drivers eyes - it's all well and good being seen, but when you dazzle someone driving towards you at 60mph you can end up:

The RSPs are cycle specific. All the lights I've seen seem to have pretty circular beams anyway which, once dipped to aim at an appropriate spot on the tarmac, cause no problems to oncoming drivers (certainly less so than the dazzle the oncoming drivers cause me!).

If the torch causes any problems, I'll remove it. It's intended primarily as a backup as it uses removable batteries rather than being rechargeable as a unit like the RSPs which make them a lot more convenient.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    edited September 2011
  • bails87
    but when you dazzle someone driving towards you at 60mph you can end up:

b) smeared across the bonnet of a blinded driver
    I don't buy this. If I've been driving towards another driver who's left their main beams on I don't think (oo, that's a bit dazzling, I'd better drive into it)

Admittedly it might end up with someone else smeared across the bonnet.

I've got an XML-T6 from DealExtreme, but it'll be on low while I'm in traffic and under street lights, once I'm on the almost deserted country lanes it'll be on full but there are so few cars that I can just put my hand over the light while they're passing me, which they'll be doing slowly because the brightness of the light causes confusion which tends to make drivers slow right down.
    MTB/CX

• JZed wrote:

Meh.

Used mine last night and it is a complete and utter pile of w@nk. It turned itself on mid-commute and then wouldn't go out without opening and ripping the batteries out. Even worse than the Knog I had which would turn on but not off, and then decide not to turn on.

EXACTLY. I'm having the same issues. Bet the Knog you had probs with was the Boomer?

I am disappoint.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JZed wrote:

Meh.

EXACTLY. I'm having the same issues. Bet the Knog you had probs with was the Boomer?

I am disappoint.

Boomer, skink, I've tried them all. They all have the same inability to operate whenever you need them to work.

Best light I've had is the one they gave out on the Marmotte. Turn it on, it comes on, turn it off it goes off, Leave it alone it does nothing. Just how a light should be. Except its one little LED so pretty useless.

I'm going to buy a load of cheap ones, superglue them together and dispose of them when they run out.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm using Knog Gekkos to be seen and a MiNewt 150 cordless to see. It's been a pretty reliable combination so far (although I grant that the Gekkos are not very old).

I have however had a set of Knog Skullys for about eighteen months - never missed a beat (and not had to change the batteries even). Brilliant little chappies, but not as bright as the Gekkos.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Try the Exposure Flash/Flare combo. They're bright, really well made, small (fit in hand) and aluminium case so very light. Perfect for commuting with the rechargeable battery option.

Like everyone else, I got fed up with forking out for lights every year. Still performing well even after the recent deluges:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-flashflare-light-pack-with-rechargable-batteries/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited September 2011
    Having used Cat Eyes, Blackburn Mars, Knogs, Smarts and Blackburn Fleas in the last two years and had them all die doe to water ingress I've not settled on a Fibre Flare down one seat stay.

It's lasted so far and it's fairly bright.

For the new winter commuter (rack / panniers means the set stay isn't a mounting option) I've just bitten the bullet and got an Exposure Flash / Flare bundle. £70, but that gives you a front, a rear, two rechargeable batteries and a charger. Waterproofiness is supposed to be second to none.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/gear/access ... rict-3.htm

Done.

No more faff, failure, worries in the rain or fiddling with AAs but your wallet will feel a bit lighter and people will ask you where you got them from all the time.
  • Yup, I've been using a couple of Flares on the back for the past 10 months or so, absolutely superb. Before that I was using Smart 1/2W and did notice a few issues with the poor switch.
    Flares on the back, Maxx-D on the bars, Joystick on the lid. Exposure lights and all-year-round commuting FTW. :)
  • asprilla
    Yup, I've been using a couple of Flares on the back for the past 10 months or so, absolutely superb. Before that I was using Smart 1/2W and did notice a few issues with the poor switch.
    Flares on the back, Maxx-D on the bars, Joystick on the lid. Exposure lights and all-year-round commuting FTW. :)

Exposure Flares or Fibre Flares?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • iPete wrote:
    http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/gear/accessories/lighting/hope-district-3.htm

Done.

No more faff, failure, worries in the rain or fiddling with AAs but your wallet will feel a bit lighter and people will ask you where you got them from all the time.

That looks like a huge faff! I commute in London. I want lights I can quickly & easily attach/remove from any part of my bike/clothing bag i.e. when stopping at the pub/shop. I;d also like these lights to work properly. Knog used to tick these boxes, but their quality has nosedived in the last year or so.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The Smarts I've had have let moisture in. They generally dry out on a radiator.

Waterproof, then go for Blackburn Mars 3.0 or 4.0, or the RSP Astrum - these don't need vaseline to make them waterproof.

Don't get me started on my Knog Toad I use as a backup - slightest rain and they play up. Regularly need drying on the radiator.

Main front lights are Hope 1's x 2, and 2 x Magicshine rears - no trouble with these at all.
  • asprilla
    fossyant wrote:
    Waterproof, then go for Blackburn Mars 3.0 or 4.0

I beg to differ. I've had both die on me because of water and will now only use them on bikes with guards.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Been using cat eyes off and on for a good few years and they work well in teh rain never had a water proofing issue with them but they do seem to burn though batteries.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

Done.

That looks like a huge faff! I commute in London. I want lights I can quickly & easily attach/remove from any part of my bike/clothing bag i.e. when stopping at the pub/shop. I;d also like these lights to work properly. Knog used to tick these boxes, but their quality has nosedived in the last year or so.

Point taken, if your bike ever lives outside they are too valuable to leave on.

Or a clear sign that you need a pub bike :wink:
  • bails87
    iPete wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Done.

Point taken, if your bike ever lives outside they are too valuable to leave on.

Or a clear sign that you need a pub bike :wink:

...with pub lights?
    MTB/CX

• iPete
    Yes but that's off topic! :wink:

My answer would be buy a Brompton but my Smart fell off that last week, arg cheap lights.