2012 SDW from Winchester to Eastbourne

2»

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I might have a go at this... though I'm also toying with the idea of doing Maxx Exposure - probably won't do both.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    Two years ago after riding the Winchester to QE section I though it would make a good weekend to cycle the whole route with a couple of mates. We bought a map, planned our stop in a B&B at steyning and set out. It felt very hard and took 14 hours over the two days. However, I learnt a lot.

1)Ride close to 75% of your max daily distance beforehand.
    2)Carry as little as possible.
    3)Weather has a massive input on how hard it will be.
    4)Getting on a bike the second days is sore.
    5)Eating, drinking and endurance fitness are key.

So with that in mind, last October I decided to ride the whole length in less than 10 hours, and to train properly. I trained all winter, commuting 50 miles a day by road and doing two or three evening rides per week in the dark. I knew I had to average 16 kph (10 mph), so focussed on this pace and built up the distance, 30 k, 60 k, 90 k then 120 k as weekend training targets each month. I experimented with food and drink, and decided on my favouites months before the ride and only used them for all my training and the ride it self.

I completed the ride in sub 10 hours in April. When I got off the bike in Eastbourne I felt tired, but no where near as bad as when I'd done it in two days and I recovered much quicker. From all the training I learnt this:

1) Fuelling is essential. High carb drinks, powder sachets for re-fills and gets and energy bars are what you need. Mix up the drinks at the taps on route (I only used two bottles of water between stops). I had a 750 ml bottle of carb drink and a gel every hour, then a bar every 2. Carbo load before the ride and drink lots of fluid to hydrate.

2) Carry as much as possible on the bike, it's far more energy efficient and kinder to your shoulders and back. Saddle bag for spare tube, co2 canister and multi tool. Food goes in pockets and tape sachets to the frame.There is no need for a bag. The guy who just set the SDW double record (17:47) didn't have a bag, so you don't really need one for 'just' the 100 miles.

3)Fast rolling, high volume tyres are a must. It is not a technical route. Schwalbe racing ralph or Conti Race king front and back are what you need with sidewall protection for the flint. Run tubeless if at all possible at a low ish pressure (25-30 psi). With that set up you shouldn't need to carry more than one spare tube. I never got a puncture in well over a 1000 km of training on the downs.

4) If at all possible do training rides along the actual route. It helps with going the right way and you learn which corners you can take fast and how to pace for the climbs. It might only make a minute or so difference here and there, but adds up to hours over the route.

5) Keep moving. Eat and drink on the move. You never get the time back you spend resting. I find getting back on my bike after a 'rest' is a killer mentally.

6) Pace yourself. You should never be out of breath and should be able to hold a conversation going up the hills. Only sprint up from jevington and along beachy head! This may require you getting a larger cassette so you can spin an easier gear (32 or 34 tooth with 22 granny ring). Your legs will thank you at the end.

7) The more prep you do, the more you will enjoy it.

2012 I'm going for The Double!
    It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Well done <10 hours is an amazing time. Puts you in the top 5% I think
  • Sound advice. Thank you
  • As someone who has done this ride in a day,read comments with interest, agree with all said.

Preparation is the key

I rode solo, (cycling partner baled a week before the ride) but would have preferred to have had someone to ride with, for company and motivation. I nearly gave up at Devils Dyke, but for a young lad on hols from uni decided to ride with me for 10 miles or so.

Was lucky that suffered no mechs on the ride,ran on a dry chain for the last 20 miles so some lube would have been useful.

As has been said before last 35 miles are the hardest, but you feel sheer joy as you have climbed the last hill and have a fast run down to Eastbourne and slightly let down as your challenge is over

As a fitness professional my motto is FAIL TO PREPARE, PREPARE TO FAIL, so get training if you want to enjoy the ride.
  • I've decided that I will attempt the SDW in June next year. I aim to complete it one day two at a push. I've registered with Help for Heroes to raise money for them too. Bon voyage
  • diy
    Are help for heroes doing an event in June?

if not you may as well go with the BHF and just pay the entrance fee and give your fund raising to HfH.
  • I've registered with HfH to raise funds for them. My daughters boyfriend is in Afghan and I thought I would like to do something for our wounded service men and women. Not sure if HfH are running an event but registering with the BHF is a good idea. Don't mind cycling alone but the company would be nice.
  • diy
    If you plan to do it in a day, then the BHF option is good (entrance fee only), if you are going to do it over 2 days then it wont make any difference.

I personally just pay the entrance fee and do a £50 donation. I'm not really one for sponsored this and that, but good luck raising your money. You owe it to the charity to do it in a day though ;) Anyone can do it in two days. :D
  • Does anyone know if the BHF are running the event this year? I am keen to try and do this route in one day and from the logistics point of view it might be easier to do it as an organised ride. Otherwise I will be picking a day and jumping on a train to Winchester!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    22nd July - unfortunately it clashes with another event I have already entered so will have to give it a miss this year.
  • diy
    There are likely to be dates in June and July - its a bit early to register - its not like the london2brighton which is massively over subscribed. You could sign up 6 weeks before. I will be running a couple of "test" training rides devils dyke to eastbourne and back as this is normally a good 60% tester as you are in to the head wind on the way back. Takes about 6-8 hours weather permitting. I will definitely be doing it this year aiming for 11ish hours.

I will post up my test dates and start times for all who are interested. It at least means you can start and finish in the same place. If you can do the DD-EB-DD run you are in with a good chance of doing the whole thing.

I've been skiving the last 2 weeks need to start training again now.
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    ric7481 wrote:
    22nd July -.

Apologies - just checked my email again - its scheduled for 21st July this year and should be on the website within the month for registration. There is just the one event this year, (previously it ran twice) and it has been renamed from South Downs Randonee to South Downs Off Road Bike Ride..

Have a great ride....................I will be doing the SDW this year, unsupported, as can't make the 21st :(

Have a great ride ! :D
  • Thanks for that info. I doubt I will be able to do the organised ride this year but might have a go at it another time.
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4