2012 SDW from Winchester to Eastbourne

richvass
richvass Posts: 68
edited January 2012 in MTB rides
Hi All,

Just wanted to send out to you all that I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to cycle the SDW in 2012 Winchester to Eastbourne (been toying with the idea for ages)

100 MILES

I've started to train now (long term goals,see.

And I'm going to make my dream come real

No pain no gain

Thought I would share that you.

Anyone else out there with the same goal?

Comments

• Its billed as the toughest long distance cycle trail in the UK.

I've done bits and pieces of it (I'm only 10 miles from it) but always fancied having a crack at the entire length. Not in 1 day though as some do!

Alot of people do a 2 day 65/35 mile split which puts your overnight stop at Ditchling Beacon way.

For anyone who fancies riding it, this site is the SDW bible;

www.bikedowns.co.uk
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I'm planning a home to Eastbourne trip - so 10 miles to Cocking over Kingley Vale, then another 62 miles to Eastbourne. I've been as far as Pycombe before... so only 5 additional climbs to add :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • lived in eastbourne for 14 years, where i initially started riding. plenty of hills and nice descents. Go have a play in friston forest or try and tackle butts brow (now thats a hill and a half). or if youre a real nutter like i used to be, cycle along the very edge of beachy head. Its an .........experience !
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I must say I'm increasingly tempted to do it, just to tick it off the list. Just waiting for a nice day to give it a punt. If it's dry a week Saturday I'm tempted! Otherwise I suspect it'll be next Spring at the earliest!
  • Did it last weekend with 120 odd others through trailbreaks. Really good ride. Even the horizontal rain and 50m visibility across the top added character (and a little extra distance as I went off route for a bit - the GPS was really useful).

It is a lot to do in a day, but is a nice challenge over two days. I took 10 hours 40 min or so.
  • To do it in one day or over two? I am trying to convince my friend to join me and attempt to complete it in one day or enjoy the experience over two days. I know for the safety aspect my good lady would prefer I ride with company on this long challenge. I agree with njee20 as something to be ticked off!
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    One day!
    Paul
  • One day!

+1

The only real "challenge" in doing it over two days would be getting back on the saddle with a semi-sore-ar5e to complete day 2. (horizontal rain excepted).
    '97 GT Zaskar Red Annodised
    '08 Kona Kula
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper
    '10 Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red
  • njee20
    Yes I'll certainly do it in one day when I get around to it!
  • the in-laws are moving to Eastbourne in Prep for Death :roll: and i've always wanted to do this so it means I can finish with a beer and a bed.. and the kids will be entertained whilst I do it, next year as well me thinks.

Would really like to do it in a day but thinking that I'm kidding myself and that a 2 day journey would be better.
  • njee20
    Challenge yourself, start early, you'll be alright!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    This year's June run was the hardest I can remember as the weather was poor, so it was very slippy, given that you want to be running XC tyres. Still managed to finish in the top 50 though.

A good benchmark is to do devils dyke to eastbourne and back as a training day ride. its about 60% as tough as the full ride, but east to west is much harder than west to east.

get yourself a training buddy. Groups of two or 3 tops, larger groups slow you down and going by yourself means it gets a bit lonely. The last 20 miles is the worse. This year it was foggy and my GPS was out of bats so late in the day.

The ride is as much about mechanical prep and "fuel" as it is about fitness. Eating and drinking the right stuff on the day makes a huge difference. Also try not to race people, loads of people drop out at the first and second check points. You'll notice a select few "vets" with 1000 yard stares, carefully pacing themselves. These will be the folk you see at the end, when all the thrashers have dropped out.

Its an epic ride and well worth the effort.

Make sure you get a pick-up at eastbourne and make sure they bring a change of clothes, shower kit etc. Its very easy to slip in to early stage hypothermia at the end. As your body can't cope with spending 12+ hours burning hot and then getting cold so quickly.

2 days??? - wtf - lightweights - its one day or you haven't done it. Aim to start at 5:30, gives you about 15 hours - which is plenty, don't stop for breaks, you'll have enough "mechanicals" on the day and you get a break when you fill up for water or stop at checkpoints. Even if you go by yourself you will find a group to tag along with.

The most important lesson I learned this year:
    - download the GPS course - it will save you 1/2-1 hour in wrong turns
    - use isotonic powder to mix with the water - don't carry liquid other than your hydro pack there are plenty of water stops.
    - make up ultra dense "fuel" - I have a flapjack recipe which is mega dense, but lighter than carrying nana's and other stuff.
    - take some chain lube particularly if its wet.
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    diy wrote:
    2 days??? - wtf - lightweights - its one day or you haven't done it. Aim to start at 5:30, gives you about 15 hours - which is plenty, don't stop for breaks, you'll have enough "mechanicals" on the day and you get a break when you fill up for water or stop at checkpoints.

Agree - a day is the challenge, and even I can manage that ! :wink: - however I may well have enjoyed the countryside / views etc. more if over two days ?
    I was lucky/well prepped enough to avoid 'mechanicals':
    12 hours is not too bad a time for mere mortals such as myself - I am lucky though that my very good mate drives between checkpoints so I have minimal stuff to carry...having a support vehicle is priceless. The last third is the hardest imho from Devils Dyke to Eastbourne - so that's a good tip from "diy" to use that as you're training ground if you can. The Hampshire end is no where near as hilly. If you're new to the event, why not join one of the charity rides (BHF etc.) that way - you'll have basic support / checkpoints and plenty of others riding with you..and its for a great cause. Until you ride it, you won't appreciated it - much respect to anyone riding it in a day,

This however is the way to do it if you think you're fit :o

- Ian Leitch - South Downs Double Record Holder
    On the 22nd May 2009, Ian Leitch set a new outright record for riding the South Downs Double (the entire South Downs Way, twice in a day). Starting from Winchester at 3:03am, he completed the outbound leg in around 8 hours and (despite a headwind) the return journey in 10 hours. The overall time was a stunningly fast 18h 3m 12s, which is nearly 2 hours off the previous record.

Now that really is a challenge ! and not one I will be attempting :lol:
  • diy
    yes sorry - assumed people were looking at the BHF SDW Randonee, better to go on an organized run if you can, much safer.

IME the BHF are very good at looking after you, which goes both ways (i.e. tell them if you drop out).

Personally anyone setting this as a goal now should book both the June and the July run, as there is nothing worse than training for months only to have a problem which blows your chances for the year.

I try to make it an annual pilgrimage and it helps me train when I want to be lazy. It also gives you bragging rights ;) as its really the "london marathon" of riding. I was out with some chaps this weekend doing a 40miler off road, round north downs. It felt like a ride round the local park.

Still another few weeks and I'll be on winter tyres and then it wont feel so easy :D
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    +1 to everything DIY says.

To do it in one day is a challenge, to do it in one day in June this year was a hell of a challenge!

If you're carrying all the gear/food yourself, have a bottle/cage with powder, so you can add to the water as you top up. And put loose foods in your pockets (or in a bag lining the pocket), so you can reach in and nibble as you go, rather than loads of stop/starting.

Test out different foods, drinks powders etc while you're training to find the combinations that work for you and your stomach, and give yourself variety. Still can't manage to eat a Clif choc chip bar after last year... :)

Stick a couple of savoury items in the pack (sausage rolls/pastry slices) in too - not exactly scientific refueling, but it beats the endless sweet carby type goods.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • AMcK
    Oh, and given the amount of training you have to do, don't forget to take in the experience, get your head up, look around, and enjoy it!!!

The BHF organised event is the way to go IMHO, well organised (some dodgy signposting aside, as DIY suggests), loads of like-minded riders, so people to chat to/share the experience.
  • njee20
    What do you actually get on the BHF rides? Are they properly signposted? I imagine that makes life easier, although a GPX must be available to follow. Do they provide water stops and what not? Not having to look for taps appeals!
  • AMcK
    You get a map (which highlights water taps en route - and generally these are easy to spot), designated checkpoints that mark you in, with portaloos, bottles of water, and additional signposts en route at various points.

And a load of other like-minded riders suffering the same amount as you. And if you're a tailender, someone to sweep up at the back and make sure you all get to the finish safely.

But the GPS is worth having because at points the signposting can be a little iffy (whether you're doing a BHF or not) - in general you follow the SDW blue arrows signposts with an acorn. They can be easily missed.

When the wind/fog is rolling in and you're still 10 miles from the finish, it's very easy to miss one of these, and find yourself cycling around a field in the gloom trying to pick the route up again.

Ahem. Just an example, like. :cry:
  • njee20
    Hmmm, so really it's the camaraderie and not a vast amount else? Think I'd rather not pay, and just do it with some friends!
  • diy
    Firstly its a shed load easier to navigate when there are 800 riders spread out over the route. There is normally someone in front of you and someone behind. They have medics at every check point, you get an emergency number to ring and they will come and rescue you.

There is free food at the major stops and the organisers are really good at cheering you on. At the end you have free use of the showers at the sports centre, car parking and hot drinks.

Plus its for charidy mate.

but also because there are so many riders, people don't get in your way. The SDW is busy, there are always hikers, fell runners, cows, sheep etc with organised runs to get in your way.

half the problem is picking a day when there isn't another event going on. The SDW is not hugely interesting, so if you do it by yourself I think you will find it a let down. Given the level you ride at, I think you will find it more fun seeing if you can finish in the top 10 etc. I was amazed to finish inside the top 50 this year (June).
  • njee20
    Fair enough, good point on the number of other users! Maybe I'll do one of them then, know what you mean about following people being easier!
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I've not riden the whole thing but seeing as I live about 5 miles from QE Park and ride there alot, it's worth mentioning the signage. The number of people I've had to point in the right direction is quite scary and some of signs around here are pretty bad. I even took a couple of blokes and their bikes to a pub to phone a taxi the other week, as they had gotten so lost and it was getting dark.

With the BHF ride there are more signs and loads of people so getting lost is less of an issue I'd imagine.
  • On the subject of getting lost; for those without GPS guidence (or a GPS with less than 14 hours battery life), i'd recomend the Harvey's SDW map, doesn't help the signage, does help stop you getting lost and helps you get back on track when you do.
    http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/South_Downs_Way.html#aYHWRSD

£8.19 on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/South-Downs-XT40-Route-Maps/dp/1851374779/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316498990&sr=8-2
    '97 GT Zaskar Red Annodised
    '08 Kona Kula
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper
    '10 Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red
  • diy
    Nothing will help you in the fog other than a GPS. In June having spent the first 30 miles riding in wet mud and chalk we were blessed with thick fog for the last 25 miles.

It helps to "know" the DD-Eastbourne leg particularly the last 20 miles.
  • +1 to DIY's comments.

I rode the SDW BHF randonnee in June too as my first big cycling challenge having started cycling again in March and gave myself 13 weeks to get cycling fit, One thing I would add though, do not underestimate how hard this event is for a first big event, both psychologically and physically. Eg. 4000m of ascent over 100 miles off road. There are not many sportives that can match that.

Whilst the goal was Eastbourne, after 9 hours I'd got as far Devils Dyke and decided to quit whilst I was ahead. I'd enjoyed the event to that point and decided I did not fancy going to some rather those dark places over the next tough 35 miles. That's the psychological bit!

I'd definitely recommend riding DD to Eastbourne and back as part of the preparation. I think if I'd known what was coming I might not have quit, but each to their own.[/u]
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • diy
    If you'd have known what was coming I don't think it would have helped you ;)

the DD- Eastbourne leg is roughly 45% of the ride in my view as there is the same amount of climbing as the previous 60ish miles. You ascend to peak and drop to sea 4 or 5 times on the whole route from memory 3 of which are in the last 35 miles.

That is the bit that kills me, you have just spent 15 minutes climbing only to have 5 mins descent and be at sea level again ready to start the next climb.

This is why I say do the DD-E-DD loop as not only does it give you a taste of the challenge, but you don't have logistics problems, as you can leave your car in car park all day.
  • AMcK
    The thing that kills me is that - by some form of black magic - Eastbourne never seems to get any closer over those final few miles.
  • DIY wote
    If you'd have known what was coming I don't think it would have helped you

DIY, you'll see at the end of my post a bb code for underlining. I meant o underline the word, [/u]might as in I might not have quit. :lol:
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Others have covered the logistics of it, so I'll just add this.

I tried, and failed, to do the BHF ride in June (with Amck and another), thanks to the mud and fog. We were gutted. I'd never done anything even remotely like this before and had trained hard for 4 months.

The following day I resolved to do it again at the end of July. Due to holidays and what not, the other two couldn't make it. So I did it on my own (albeit with the BHF, so not really on my own).

Much better conditions for the second try and all went well. The feeling I had when I knew I was going to make it was like nothing else I've ever experienced on a bike. I was totally alone riding through Jevington village, and it suddenly hit me at the foot of the climb. Magic, absolutely elated. Rode up that hill like it was the first (so quite slow then :) ).

Didn't feel quite so good at the 80 or so mile mark, on the verge of bonking with the climb of Castle Hill looming, but that's all part of the fun!

Actually, I will add a technical note - if you can go tubeless, DO IT. I was slower than several other riders but kept overtaking them as they changed tubes :lol:
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • I'm getting back on my bike to put some mileage in the bank especially when I've shifted this rotten cold! I've now understand this is quite some undertaking. Would be good for morale to join up with other riders attempting this next year.