Did anyone see Adele on the Jonathan Ross Show?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
The Jonathan Ross Show - Adele Interview - 04/09/2011

Some would say that she should never speak. Completely destroyed my perception of her considering her singing voice. I was expecting "posh with a little snooty". What I got was a 'girl from the endz, ya get me!' Complete with full on hand gestures.

It was like a voice over swap with what I imagined Tulisa (X-factor/N-dubz) should sound like. Adele actually said "brey" followed up with a full and proper Croydon-esque "dickhead" And that laugh, wow! You can't fake these things.

At the time I thought the interview was cringe worthy, especially given the upper class act "Lewis Hamilton" [pun points] put in prior.

Then Ms DDD came up with the point that for what they portray Cheryl Cole, Tulisa et al are so polished the falseness extends to elocution lessons (Cheryl's accent has softened a lot though she may not have taken lessons). Whereas Adele is just who she is, a girl from South London complete with Croydon Accent (West Norwood actually). She's a full and frank reminder that you can come from any background you , be and remain yourself and make it in a productive way.

She actually kept it real! More real, I would argue, than Dizzie Rascal, Tiny Temper, Alvin the Chimpmunk and whatever made up name is out there. All the good rap names were used in the 90s.

I like her all over again.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Didn't see the programme but I did video a couple of chipmunks the other day. Not sure if either of them were called Alvin. They can't half shift though. I'll bung it on YouTube and post a link.
  • Absolutely agree that she sounded nothing like I had expected her to sound.

I was surprised, but agreeably so. Most of all, she came across as real, sincere, fun and someone with whom you'd most definitely like to go to the pub. Oh and she has a very dirty laugh!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I would have preferred posh and snooty I think :p
  • DonDaddyD
    May ask why?

Thinking back on it I actually liked it. Not everyone is from a rich/middle class/well spoken background.

Not being from said background doesn't detract from the person or their ability, as demonstrated by Adele.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2011
    I was surprised, but agreeably so. Most of all, she came across as real, sincere, fun and someone with whom you'd most definitely like to go to the pub

leslie2.jpg

DDD: another quality post. You should go join the Men's Health forum; they'd love you there.

Ps. where the hell have you lot been that you've not hear Adele speak before?
  • How have you never heard her speak before?!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    She actually kept it real! More real, I would argue, than Dizzie Rascal, Tiny Temper, Alvin the Chimpmunk and whatever made up name is out there. All the good rap names were used in the 90s.

I like her all over again.

Yep she really kept it real to her working class upbringing here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/may/25/adele-tax-grievances
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm not seeing the logic here.

What, do people from working class backgrounds, irrespective of what they earn, not complain about tax then?

Pretty true to type to be honest.
    Food Chain number = 4

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Ok I may be generalising but I am sure during here upbringing she would have had to use buses, trains and other things that general taxation pays for. She was born to a single teenage mum who probably received numerous benefits and free housing.

Don't think anyone likes paying taxes but sometimes those that have directly benefitted from them have a greater appreciation of how they support society as a whole.
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm sorry but that is incredibly pompous. Firstly we all directly benefit from tax and by extension society, whether monetary or otherwise. People with less who rely on benefits should be no more grateful than those with more and who may pay 50% tax.

Your posts and link, IMO, only demonstrate that the political 'left' and 'right' both lack an understanding of facets of society. Views are littered with what people should do, should be like or should value without truly acknowledging what it really is like.

I do not know specifically what Adele's upbringing was like. I can however understand the perspective of a person (though I may or may not agree) who may have had to grow up with less, fighting hard to make ends meet and when finally making something of herself (amongst those that didn't even bother to try). Finally earning that all valuable 'paper'. That perpson would be frustrated when the Government then take 50% of your money away.

A working class inner city 'poor-come-good' type complaining because the Government is taking away his/her 'paper' is about as keeping it real as you can get.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm sorry but that is incredibly pompous. Firstly we all directly benefit from tax and by extension society, whether monetary or otherwise. People with less who rely on benefits should be no more grateful than those with more and who may pay 50% tax.

Your posts and link, IMO, only demonstrate that the political 'left' and 'right' both lack an understanding of facets of society. Views are littered with what people should do, should be like or should value without truly acknowledging what it really is like.

I do not know specifically what Adele's upbringing was like. I can however understand the perspective of a person (though I may or may not agree) who may have had to grow up with less, fighting hard to make ends meet and when finally making something of herself (amongst those that didn't even bother to try). Finally earning that all valuable 'paper'. That perpson would be frustrated when the Government then take 50% of your money away.

A working class inner city 'poor-come-good' type complaining because the Government is taking away his/her 'paper' is about as keeping it real as you can get.

Clearly she's from a working class background. Anyone born with a silver spoon would have learned long ago how not to pay 50% tax on £8m. Amateur.
    Sorry, what was the point again.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:
    Clearly she's from a working class background. Anyone born with a silver spoon would have learned long ago how not to pay 50% tax on £8m. Amateur.
    Sorry, what was the point again.

:lol::lol::lol:

Silly new money types! Millionaires don't vote Labour!
    Food Chain number = 4

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    She obviously needs to get a new tax accountant!!!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Anyway, Adele is has had her time.

It's all about Jade Richards on XFactor 8)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What, do people from working class backgrounds, irrespective of what they earn, not complain about tax then?

There are not many people in the UK who don't think they pay too much tax.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That's what I'm saying. Adele warts, laugh and all is refreshing because she is (for want of a better word) common. And despite her millions keeps it that way. I.e. keeping it real.

That she is from a working class background and has made it rich doesn't mean she should suddenly enjoy paying tax (of any kind) or even want to because her Mum may or may not have claimed benefits.

Anyway, more importantly.

Would you?
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

You say that like you think it is a bad thing.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    I must be (for once) ahead of the curve here. I thought everyone new she spoke like that when not singing - I thought that was all part of the 'just an ordinary girl with an amazing voice' package. Anyway, from what I've seen of her before, I thought she seemed a bit distracted - she kept asking Ross to repeat or clarify questions and her singing (although still pretty damned good) wasn't quite the standard I've heard from her before. But hell, we're all allowed an off day now and then.

Musicians have never been too hot on getting their tax affairs sorted it seems.

As an aside, I also read an interview with Ross about his new programme, in which he suggested that it was going to be a bit different from his BBC show: he was going to drop the faux-flirting and dress a bit more age-appropriate. Can't say I noticed any difference whatsoever. Same old slightly queasy feeling when he was talking to SJP about 'peacock feathers'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That's what I'm saying. Adele warts, laugh and all is refreshing because she is (for want of a better word) common. And despite her millions keeps it that way. I.e. keeping it real.

That she is from a working class background and has made it rich doesn't mean she should suddenly enjoy paying tax (of any kind) or even want to because her Mum may or may not have claimed benefits.

Anyway, more importantly.

Would you?

I think the UK, and indeed my life, would benefit from a Scandinavian style tax and spend policy.

So yes, I probably wouldn't mind paying more > as part of a proper tax and spend system.

But I'm a bleeding heart lefty liberal.
  • I think the UK, and indeed my life, would benefit from a Scandinavian style tax and spend policy.

So yes, I probably wouldn't mind paying more > as part of a proper tax and spend system.

Genuine question (I'm too lazy to look it up, and it will only make me angry if I do): how is a Scandie tax & spend policy different to the Gordon Brown tax & spend policy? Do we have to cut our Defence spending and armed forces to Scandie levels to make it work?

Cos, y'know, GB's effort wasn't such a big success...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    Greg66 wrote:
    I think the UK, and indeed my life, would benefit from a Scandinavian style tax and spend policy.

Genuine question (I'm too lazy to look it up, and it will only make me angry if I do): how is a Scandie tax & spend policy different to the Gordon Brown tax & spend policy? Do we have to cut our Defence spending and armed forces to Scandie levels to make it work?

Also too lazy to look it up, but I'd say a very low population density, and substantial natural resources (not just North Sea oil and gas) help a lot.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:

I think that depends on how you measure success. The UK naturally has different values of success to Scandi, hence the difference policies.

Wikipedia has a good summation:
    The Nordic model refers to the economic and social models of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland). This particular adaptation of the mixed market economy is characterised by more generous welfare states (relative to other developed countries), which are aimed specifically at enhancing individual autonomy, ensuring the universal provision of basic human rights and stabilising the economy. It is distinguished from other welfare states with similar goals by its emphasis on maximising labour force participation, promoting gender equality, egalitarian and extensive benefit levels, large magnitude of redistribution, and liberal use of expansionary fiscal policy.

In short, their taxing and spending is in a totally different league to what any gov't has tried in the UK. By a long long way.

The UK taxes around 34-35% of GDP according to OECD - Scandi nations around the 50% mark.

That's a substantial difference.
  • The Nordic model refers to the economic and social models of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland). This particular adaptation of the mixed market economy is characterised by more generous welfare states (relative to other developed countries), which are aimed specifically at enhancing individual autonomy, ensuring the universal provision of basic human rights and stabilising the economy. It is distinguished from other welfare states with similar goals by its emphasis on maximising labour force participation, promoting gender equality, egalitarian and extensive benefit levels, large magnitude of redistribution, and liberal use of expansionary fiscal policy.

Sounds God-awful.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:
    The Nordic model refers to the economic and social models of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland). This particular adaptation of the mixed market economy is characterised by more generous welfare states (relative to other developed countries), which are aimed specifically at enhancing individual autonomy, ensuring the universal provision of basic human rights and stabilising the economy. It is distinguished from other welfare states with similar goals by its emphasis on maximising labour force participation, promoting gender equality, egalitarian and extensive benefit levels, large magnitude of redistribution, and liberal use of expansionary fiscal policy.

Sounds God-awful.

That'll be why its populations are considered to have a better quality of life and are more economically productive per head eh? ;)
  • rjsterry
    Greg66 wrote:

Sounds God-awful.

Which might be why you haven't moved over there. :wink: There's certainly a different mindset - I once heard a lecture by some Norwegian architects, in which they described a project they had completed to house some homeless people. What was most striking was that the local town council had identified a number (around 20 IIRC) of homeless people within their municipality, and had decided that the best solution to the problem of them hanging around getting drunk and annoying people was to build them a group of flats to live in. Now, you need the numbers to work - not too many homeless people needing housing; enough spare cash to build a block of flats for 20 people - I also don't know to what degree it actually worked but it still shows quite a different approach from this country.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2011
    That'll be why its populations are considered to have a better quality of life and are more economically productive per head eh? ;)

I thought they all had massively high suicide rates as well.

I can see why.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Which might be why you haven't moved over there. :wink:

Hey, I like Scandie (though I've never been there). I really enjoyed Wallender (with subtitles) and The Killing (original version) was ace.

I like snow as well. So there.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:
    I thought they all had massively high suicide rates as well.

I can see why.

Pretty sure that particular scandi phenomenon has been attributed to the daylight (or lack of).

The best example of the atttidue was the response Norway had to the shootings recently.

Their collective response seemed to be "we need to become more tolerant".

Can't quite see the response in the UK going the same way, had that occurred here.

It'd be all ban facebook and stop people blinking.
  • Pretty sure that particular scandi phenomenon has been attributed to the daylight (or lack of).

Yeah. That and the fact that it is still dark when the postman delivers the tax bills in the morning.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A