Boardman pro ht 2011 problems

togg
togg Posts: 80
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-11-45094

I've not even been 100 miles on this bike yet, and it's creaking/squeaking like crazy when pedalling, the gear shifter is sticking and not returning automatically when changing down gears. I'm taking it back to Halfords for it's 6week service but it feels like it's falling apart, totally gutted.

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Sounds like minor problems, nothing a quick fettle shouldn't sort out. Is the squeaking/creaking coming from your pedals or the crank? Dp you have spd's? Sometimes its the cleats that cause this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Find a Nicklouse post, follow the Parktools link, and read up on maintenance stuff.
    Things need lubing, adjusting, and so on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • togg
    I'm just using the standard pedals it came with, no cleats, is there a quick fix for the sticky gear shifter?
  • Sounds like it could be another crap bb30 bottom bracket! :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just bedding in. This is what the week service is for, to readjust. Then best to learn some basic maintenance.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    i have the same bike and had the same problem. There is a large bolt attached on the inside of the crank arm between the crank arm and the BB on the non drive side crank arm(if that makes sense). On these fsa comet chain sets its that large bolt between the crank arm and frame that pushes up to the bearing this made the same squeek or crack till i tightened it. Retorque the crank arm its self aswell because both work there selfs loose, they work there self loose. Mine now have a little threadlock and no problems so far. if this doesnt work from my own investigation into the same issue these bb are very cheep in these bikes and sometimes the seals havent been set right if so just remove and service and should be fine other than that there isnt really anything else it can be. let me know how you get on, it will be good to know for my own knowledge if i have any more problems with it.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The shifter will be most likely caused by a sticky/dirty cable.

There do seem to be problems with the BB30 bearings.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jon1993
    sorry i lie it temporarily fixed it. Started creaking today again had a look and the bearing face had rusted to the shaft + the bearings are as rough as ones done 3000 miles. Its on 124miles and just got mine replaced aswell as chainset as it was rusted to but hell there problem and i now have spares :P haha sorry about that.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    TBH i think i got a good one, as mine lasted around 300 miles before i replaced the BB bearings myself :lol:

While the bike rides sweet, you can blatantly see where the costs have been cut on the bike, i have used mine quite hard though, the paint finish on the frame is ultra thin and chips super easily, so much so i am considering stripping the bike down this winter and having it powder coated properly, one of my pedals was not greased, my freehub bearings were dry and starting to go rusty, my rear wheel bearings were greased on one side and needed attention on the other as the bearing races were starting to rust.

My BB bearings were crap, my BB bearing shields were both fitted on one side, leaving the other side exposed, i found alu swarf inside my BB shell, no idea where this is from, probably the frame manufacturing, i`m now up to around 700 miles, the seat has lost the white coating around the black rear sections due to rubbingwhen pedalling, the crank arms have lost paint due to pedalling, ive just replaced the seat clamp as the bolt had went rusty, the stock Chinese innertubes were crap and fell apart, the supplied Mountain King tyres are terrible, my rear one exploded after 300 miles, i replaced this with a Mountain King Mk2 tyre (black chilli compund) and this is VASTLY superior to the old Mk2 oem tyre on the front.

I have not seen a review of these 2011 bikes yet where they have put some serious mileage on them, i suspect any longterm reviews will show people the true value in the bike.

I still love mine though, it seams to carry a lot more speed everywhere compared with my mates various bikes.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • what BB bearings you been using?? ^^ i trying to find some to replace my deore ones
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • togg
    Some pics of shoddy parts on this bike would be great, Halfords are useless, they can't even repair my faulty gear shifter, need to order parts up. And Halfords had the cheek to ask me to collect it because it was getting in their way! And they implied it would get damaged hanging around with them.

I might tweet Chris boardman direct and try and shame him, had nothing but hassle with both 2011 boardmans I've bought from Halfords. I can feel these bikes will have serious longevity issues and need lots of regular maintenance due to poor quality components.
  • jon1993
    same but my halfords is alright yeh theres a fue faults now and again but theyve sorted them strait away for me and even give me upgrades/spares for free just got a load of parts on warranty that theres nothing really wrong with. one tyre £20, a chainset £150, bb £30 and 2 16 function bike computers £30x2 when i only baught one 13 function £20 and i did the same on the road bike one of the sram rival shifters messed up and cost them like £300+ and a rear brake caliper £40 to get that sorted and i baught it of ebay sooooo i cant fault them really. its halfords as a company that sucks all profit no pride in work what so ever. The staff in mine local shop are great even know what there doing with a bike exept they told me that there not allowed to refuse sale and basically have time limits on bikes. Then again i cant see your LBS doing all that for you adding upto £580 in one year even though there was nothing wrong with the stuff that couldnt be sorted or down to wear and tear.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • supersonic
    need lots of regular maintenance due to poor quality components.

All bikes need regular maintenance. Don't think paying more nulls this. Many of the parts ie drivetrain, 99% of other manufacturers use.

However the bottom bracket assembly does seem to be causing problems.
    the seat has lost the white coating around the black rear sections due to rubbingwhen pedalling, the crank arms have lost paint due to pedalling,

Well be careful when pedalling! If you rub the paint, is YOUR fault!
    ive just replaced the seat clamp as the bolt had went rusty, the stock Chinese innertubes were crap and fell apart, the supplied Mountain King tyres are terrible, my rear one exploded after 300 miles,

Oil/clean the bolt? You think these things look after themselves?! The tyres are way better than standard.

Learn some maintenance.
  • jon1993
    +1 to supersonic
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • S-M
    The tyres are way better than standard?

What does this mean?

The tyres are way better than standard tyres ? (wtf?)

The supplied tyres are utter crap, i have been told from a few folk that oem tyres are not the same quality as proper retail replacements, and i can see why, no tyre should explode with the best part of a 1 foot rip around the bead after 300 miles.

The oem supplied tyres are IMO utter junk, i still have the front one fitted as i was hoping to get some wear out from it before replacing it, after the rear failed after dropping of a kerb ?!? i replaced it with the new version mark 2 tyre (retail) and the difference to me is staggering, once again tonight i had the front end wash out a little on me and yet again i thought to myself (i`m going to junk that POS front tyre, just like everybody else seamed to do on eBay when the 2011 models came out)

And i have to LOL @ clean/oil the bolt, seriously, do you own one of these bikes? did your freehub bearings start to rust after very little mileage, how about your pedal bearings, how about your rear hub bearings, how about your BB30 bearings, do you even know what you are talking about regarding the BLATENT value engineering that has went into the 2011 models? Did i mention the alu swarf i found inside my BB shell ? should i clean and oil that, mister ? :D

Learn some maintence? im on around 700 miles and i have had to replace most of the bearings, plus a rear tyre, just how do you maintain a rear tyre? and the seat clamp, well the 1998 specialized FSR i am restoring still has its stock seat clamp on it and it has no rust, has somebody been maintaining that since 1998? wonder why they never maintained anything else on it because the bike was a bit of a mess, the fact is the seat clamp is yet another peice of gash value engineering :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just how much should i learn, i mean these freehub bearings did not appear to be something that people would really be maintaining, are they supposed to be replaced after a few hundred miles? LOL! :lol1: do you oil your seat clamp? are you a mentalist ? :D

The fact is, the bike is a nice riding frame, with some good parts on it, people always seam to think "how can they do this for the money" well i`m telling ya, they can do it because the rest of it is built with fuzzy felt and stickle bricks :lol:

Out of my group of mates (around 5-6 of us) i seam to do a hell of a lot more tinkering on my bike compared with them, and they all have cheaper bikes.

They dont even touch them, yet i`m cleaning and sorting out after every ride, the chain is removed once per month and cleaned then left overnight in some homebrew oil, this bike is maintained more than most!
  • supersonic
    edited September 2011
    The tyres are way better than standard?

Than you generally get on bikes of equivalent money. They are decent, lightweight tyres, fast rolling. Not sure how they fail dropping of a kerb! Same with the tube. Sounds like the rip was caused on something very sharp thatwould ruin most tyes, and has caused a big blow out. If you think was a manufacturing fault, use your consumer rights.
    do you even know what you are talking about regarding the BLATENT value engineering that has went into the 2011 models

Yes, we have tested a couple of these bikes, some over much longer distances and times you have had them for, this one winning for performance and value. Have also spoke to Boardman and the designer team about the bike. Compared to many others, again is of higher quality for the price.

Some parts have stainless bolts. Many do not. If the latter, you keep them maintained. Yes, I keep the mechanisms of my clamp greased.

Maybe you are having some bad luck with this bike, if the hub bearings have gone (but Formula hubs are very common) and I know the BB30 is a known problem. But I strip and clean/oil/adjust my bikes once a month on average, and this incudes the hubs. It just prevents many problems. I don't wait until they die, then wonder how they got so bad. 700 miles is 35 rides at 20 miles a ride - I sometimes strip my bike after EVERY muddy/wet ride!

Honestly people are mistaken if you think other 1k bikes will fair better. Many are far worse, and require much more maintenance.

Use copter tape to cover high wear areas. And keep an eye on parts that rust ;-)
  • cooldad
    More maintenance doesn't necessarily mean good maintenance.
    With all your bearing problems hope you are not using a pressure washer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • S-M
    I would never use a pressure washer, its cleaned with a soapy bucket and then rinsed down with a garden hose with sprinkler attachment, pretty much after most rides, the chain is cleaned pretty much every time by wiping it down with a multipurpose cloth and then reoiled, the rest is checked over once per week.

The bike is riddem around 4 times per week.
  • I've done nearly 300 miles on my HT Pro 2011.. It has needed a lot of tweaking but I kinda expected this. So far I've had the pedals replaced as the bearings were faulty (which I didn't expect). I think my bottom bracket bearings are now going too.. doh! I get a grinding wierd noise when pedaling from that area and it's getting louder as the miles rack up.

My local Halfords are crap and I'm trying to teach myself as much as I can to avoid visiting the monkeys. Would someone be able to provide a link to a place I can purchase the correct service kit for the HT Pro 2011 Bottom bracket please? Also if possible a video tutorial on how to fit the new bearings, seals etc?

Cheers, Tim
  • S-M
    My tyres were fine. Grip levels were as expected, wore quickly but they were a soft rubber. The front is still ok.

The BB bearings weren't crap. Halfords have admitted an error in manufacturing assembly meaning that the bearings weren't pressed properly into the BB shell and hense caused excess wear.
    Halfords should fix this for free.
    I was one of the 1st on here to notice the issue and paid £28 for my local bike shop to strip, clean and regrease and fit brand new enduro bearings.
    The issue is now resolved for me. The only reason I didn't go to Halfords was due to time, the LBS was closer and on my commute.

My freehub is currently fine. I've had some rides through axle deep water and the Welsh mud is one of the worst. As with SS, I've been thouroughly cleaning and relubing after every ride and it sems to be holding out fine.
    I know you have had problems regarding how to service the freehub, but if you took it to your LBS, I'm sure they could educate you on how to go about it correctly.

With regards to tinkering and "sorting out" the bike, yes mine took a few rides to get it just so... but I haven't touched it for months now... every bike is like that, from £500 to £5000.

I've recently changed the rear tyre and brake pads due to wear, but that is to be expected. I also changed a gear cable after 2 weeks.

Nothing is going to last forever.... deal with it!
  • cooldad
    Galoot wrote:
    I've done nearly 300 miles on my HT Pro 2011.. It has needed a lot of tweaking but I kinda expected this. So far I've had the pedals replaced as the bearings were faulty (which I didn't expect). I think my bottom bracket bearings are now going too.. doh! I get a grinding wierd noise when pedaling from that area and it's getting louder as the miles rack up.

My local Halfords are crap and I'm trying to teach myself as much as I can to avoid visiting the monkeys. Would someone be able to provide a link to a place I can purchase the correct service kit for the HT Pro 2011 Bottom bracket please? Also if possible a video tutorial on how to fit the new bearings, seals etc?

Cheers, Tim
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... kets-29544

Google is your friend. As is Bikeradar.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    S-M wrote:
    And i have to LOL @ clean/oil the bolt, seriously, do you own one of these bikes? did your freehub bearings start to rust after very little mileage, how about your pedal bearings, how about your rear hub bearings, how about your BB30 bearings, do you even know what you are talking about regarding the BLATENT value engineering that has went into the 2011 model? -BUT, that's surely not boardmans build quality, surely, that's shimano or whichever manufacturers kit you have on there?

: do you oil your seat clamp? are you a mentalist ? :D - YES and grease the seat post as otherwise it gets stuck!!
    !

i know quite a few guys with boardmans and all love them :roll:
  • jon1993
    I love my boardman XD haha
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I always support local independent bike shops where possible
    Dunno much about Boardman bikes but i cant imagine Chris Boardman giving his name to a poor product :wink:
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • I always support local independent bike shops where possible
    Dunno much about Boardman bikes but i cant imagine Chris Boardman giving his name to a poor product :wink:
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    iv got a 2008 team H/T it gets used every week and the only prob i have has was rear wheel bearings as the axle seals dont seem to be the best after a cpl of mth the grease gets pushed out. i changed to marine grease and not had a prob for the last cpl of mth. i strip my bike every mth and clean re-lube it the only thing iv had to change is the rear cassette and chain.

there are very good bikes. i think lot of probs with any bike is the way people look after them.
  • I am experiencing the same issues. I am in the process of asking Halfords to make good on the warranty as the bike is a month old.

We will see what happens.

A note though, I did speak to my company's ride to work manager and she thinks that sending an email from them will make some difference... I doubt it though.

A mate works for Evan's who has had countless people complain about Boardman's in general. They can do a service and replace bearing etc, I have not used Evan's tech guys before are they ok? Or can someone make recommendations of a decent shop in the SE11 area?

Cheers,
    Brad
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    brad_den wrote:
    I am experiencing the same issues. I am in the process of asking Halfords to make good on the warranty as the bike is a month old.

We will see what happens.

A note though, I did speak to my company's ride to work manager and she thinks that sending an email from them will make some difference... I doubt it though.

A mate works for Evan's who has had countless people complain about Boardman's in general. They can do a service and replace bearing etc, I have not used Evan's tech guys before are they ok? Or can someone make recommendations of a decent shop in the SE11 area?

Cheers,
    Brad

don't know about evans mechanics mate but check your warranty first just in case it voids if someone does any work to the parts that are broken/breaking :?
  • cooldad
    @brad_den. Your post is a bit vague but no bearings etc should need replacing after a month.
    What exactly is wrong?
    Evans workshops are like most other chains. Some guys are good, some aren't. I'm sure they won't hesitate to slag off the opposition though.
    Bear in mind that apart from the frame, all the other bits are the same as you'll find on loads of other bikes, most of them a lot more expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • like cooldad said you get good and bad places so depends on your area.

personally i found the evans store in hendon good, but the prices are rather exspencive, but this is just for peace of mind.

if i were to do it again i would buy the tools myself and DIY job.

TBH replacing a BB isnt that tricky today with all the tools being very simple and the only special tool being a torque wrench for tighting the bolts is the most costly.

unless you need your frame faces DIY is well worth while.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners