He hit me, and you just ran me over - helmet cam

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Think the title says it all, unbelievable!

http://youtu.be/6qycF0raqpg

Edit: For clarity, I just saw this posted on Twitter. I am not the cyclist in the video, nor do I know him.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Jeez... :shock:

Why does the woman just sit in her car? I remember seeing another one where a driver hit a cyclist, then just sat in her car, gave a phone number and drove off. Do these people not realise what they've done?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • graeme_s-2
    bails87 wrote:
    Jeez... :shock:

Why does the woman just sit in her car? I remember seeing another one where a driver hit a cyclist, then just sat in her car, gave a phone number and drove off. Do these people not realise what they've done?!
    In her case, until she got out and saw the bike under her car I genuinely don't think she did realise what she'd done.

If you watch it back there are several different times when she should have seen him, not least of which was when he was hit by a car and then did a superman dive onto the tarmac right in front of her!
  • How can that daft tart possibly be arguing? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • respect for keeping ur cool in a situation like that!

hope the insurance covers the bike
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • graeme_s-2
    smithaay wrote:
    respect for keeping ur cool in a situation like that!

Just to be clear I just posted the YouTube link - I am not the cyclist in the video, nor do I know him.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    :shock: :shock:
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    smithaay wrote:
    respect for keeping ur cool in a situation like that!

Just to be clear I just posted the YouTube link - I am not the cyclist in the video, nor do I know him.

o rite :D
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Fuck me, that's mental. What was the woman in the Focus trying to argue about?!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    fark me, that's mental. What was the woman in the Focus trying to argue about?!

Maybe that she's not completely and utterly retarded.

Rob
  • Hope his injuries weren't serious - no sign of an ambulance. Cops took their time as well. Did I hear correctly - cops on phone didn't seem to know where he was, judging by the amount of detail re: his whereabouts? As for the two drivers arguing - unbelieveable!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Respect to the guy for being so cool and keeping calm in the face of the woman, who was an idiot. Not sure I would have been so polite in his position, lets hope he is not too badly injured and he gets a nice new bike.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    That has to be every cyclist worst nightmare, neither driver was aware of the other traffic around them.

Scary shite
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I don't think the dozy bloody woman AT ANY POINT apologised or asked if the cyclist was ok. Unfrigging believable. "Where were you!" means "I wasn't looking".
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just watched this again. It's so scary how f£$king clueless and unaware the woman in the Focus was. Makes me laugh when she says "I didn't see you! Where were you?!!" as if trying to accuse the cyclist of something. That guy is so lucky he fell pretty close to the curb, any further into the road and she would have driven straight over him...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Unbelieveable.... I must say that turns on the left are possibly the most dangerous places for cyclists... The number of motorists who simply turn acroos without looking, simply trying to beat the traffic. There's no doubt that someone's insurance will pay out, it's just a question of whose.... The guy who caused the accident or the clueless, blind bint who ran him over! Get ths no win no fee solicitors on them.... Hope you weren't injured badly?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Some random comments:

The driver of the black Golf has spotted a gap in traffic and tries to get across. He hasn't looked properly. At 0.03 into the clip he's cutting the corner rather than driving up to the junction and making a 90 degree turn

The driver of the silver Focus is coming out of that junction, she has spotted the same gap in the traffic and has only looked to her right. She is completely oblivious to any thing in front or to her left.

Both drivers lacked 'due care and attention'.....the cyclist is lucky to be alive
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kudos to the young geezer. I think it was him that bibbed the away-with-the-fairies lady.

In fact maybe he went a bit far, his insurer's advice would probably include not admitting fault at the scene. The mark on the cyclist's leg, that was from the tyre, yes? Jesus, I can't imagine how terrifying that would be. Hope he's ok. If that woman really is as stupid as she appears maybe she didn't have the tyres at high pressure?
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    christ on a bike, that's terrifying. What a dozy bint in that focus.
    FCN 12
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Some drivers really are that oblivious to the world around them. One particularly stupid old tosser smashed into the door of our parked car whilst my wife was taking our youngest child out of her seat. He missed my wife by inches and destroyed both offside doors. When I asked him what had happened he either didn't have a clue or was lying through his teeth.

It doesn't help that some people - and the aforementioned old tosser and the silly old bag in the clip - react very badly to stressful situations like this and their shock can be misconstrued for indifference, which makes the experience of the victim even more frustrating as not only have they been subjected to a horrible experience, but it seems like the person responsible doesn't give a shit.
  • Interesting sexism on this thread.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I know that junction- its near my gf's old house. always thought it was dangerous as it's a cut through avoiding a nightmare junction. its often full of people doing exactly what these two have done and trying to nip quickly in and out of that side street through gaps in the traffic.

to be fair to the lady even if she had looked she may not have seen him lying on the floor (right hand side of the car- bonnet in the way) but i would have thought she should have witnessed the initial incident. And while the guy who knocked him off should have been a lot more careful at least he stopped and held his hands up, so to speak.

Am amazed at the blokes cool though- i'd have been shouting my head off.

None whatsoever. The driver of the Focus is a woman. It's not sexist to point that out, nor to call her a stupid bint. What are you, the bloody PC police?

If you double click on the You Tube screen you will get the bigger picture! :roll:

None whatsoever. The driver of the Focus is a woman. It's not sexist to point that out, nor to call her a stupid bint. What are you, the bloody PC police?

Whoosh!

If you double click on the You Tube screen you will get the bigger picture! :roll:

I did

I get it

Just found it intriguing the difference in attitudes of posters to the two drivers in the incident and their choice of language in describing those drivers, particular having read DDD's 'women drivers' thread

Just a minor aside

I did

I get it

Just found it intriguing the difference in attitudes of posters to the two drivers in the incident and their choice of language in describing those drivers, particular having read DDD's 'women drivers' thread

Just a minor aside

Well there is no excuse for sexist language, but the man involved in the incident at least put his hands up, unlike the woman, who seemed to act as if it was all rather inconvenient to her day, and did not seem to give a flying fcuk how the rider was.

I did

I get it

Just a minor aside

None of it based on the gender of the drivers involved though, therefore not sexism. :roll:
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    "I thought I'd hit the kerb" she say

If I was in his position and hear that, I'd be 'kin jumping!

Back luck to be hit by two cars in one day, good luck that he survived, better luck he had it on video so we can watch it.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • very inconvienent to have a cylist under your car.

"I DIDNT SEE YOU"

I did

I get it

Just a minor aside

Well there is no excuse for sexist language, but the man involved in the incident at least put his hands up, unlike the woman, who seemed to act as if it was all rather inconvenient to her day, and did not seem to give a flying fcuk how the rider was.

Funny how different people perceive an incident differently. I would characterise the actions of the male driver as getting his story straight for the camera. The female driver seemed to be in a bit of a shock.

I have no real problem with the sexist language, had I been the cyclist in that clip I'd be using words that would make Jim Davidson blush. I just find it intriguing that posters have honed in on the female driver, not the male driver who hit the 'lit up' cyclist head on in broad daylight. I really couldn't be annoyed going back through the thread and requoting all the comments.....you have a read back through at see what you think again.

As I say, it is a minor aside to a shocking incident with two examples of really careless driving.

I have looked at the incident a couple of times (it's all over in the first 8 seconds) and would be interested in an 'Andy Gray' style simulation of the female drivers view.
    None of it based on the gender of the drivers involved though, therefore not sexism.

Not so sure about that. I believe that if the woman was driving the black Golf posters would have focused on that part of the incident

You may disagree

Also this emoticon :roll: adds nothing to any discussion.