Women and aggressive driving/cycling (Brain-ache-bint)

13»

Comments

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't think in the OP I encouraged hatred towards Women. Annoyance, at times, yes.

DDD, you are possibly being deliberately provocative I know. But try replacing the word "women" in your sentence above with "Jews", "blacks", "gays" or even "pensioners", and hopefully you'll see where this might cause offence. The offensive part is the idea that you would be annoyed at all women because one of them cut you up on the commute.

OK let's try it:
    I don't think in the OP I encouraged hatred towards Jews. Annoyance, at times, yes.

Ew. Nasty. See what I mean?
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I'm going to start a new thread stating my annoyance with people on forums for a shared common interest. My annoyance is at the lack of ability to take a rant for what it is and to then see the funny side when it turns into a bit or a laugh. :o

And please don't anyone suggest that replacing words with other words is a sensible way of judging the tone of a post. If I had meant other words then I would have used them in the first place!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    @ DDD

There are good drivers/cyclists and bad drivers/cyclists. They might have bad training, be a newbie, or might have just had a really bad day - I'm sure you've been there at some point so just give people a break eh?

The one thing I do find offensive is your use of the word Bint - why can't you just say girl/woman/idiot and leave it at that? I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I referred to your girlfriend or mother as a brain-ache-bint. You're probably one of those guys who thinks a girl's "asking for it" if she dresses a bit skimpily.

And as for "stupid bints" as you referred to them
    And she'll do this even though she can clearly see a obstacle ahead that you can't really speed up and maneuver safely but you'll need to get around. She won't tap her breaks, slow down and let you out.
    - I think you'll find it's "brakes". You might want to think on and check your spelling before you refer to someone as "stupid".
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    People returning to it too... Mind you, we ought to be used to it.

well yes but to be fair the SMB meter is seldom at these elevated levels even if the background reading is quite high
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    I'm going to start a new thread stating my annoyance with people on forums for a shared common interest. My annoyance is at the lack of ability to take a rant for what it is and to then see the funny side when it turns into a bit or a laugh. :o

And please don't anyone suggest that replacing words with other words is a sensible way of judging the tone of a post. If I had meant other words then I would have used them in the first place!

You're missing the point, mon ami. It started out as a bit of a laugh (your post was quite funny, BTW) but then went downhill.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2011
    msmancunia wrote:
    @ DDD

There are good drivers/cyclists and bad drivers/cyclists. They might have bad training, be a newbie, or might have just had a really bad day - I'm sure you've been there at some point so just give people a break eh?

The one thing I do find offensive is your use of the word Bint - why can't you just say girl/woman/idiot and leave it at that? I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I referred to your girlfriend or mother as a brain-ache-bint. You're probably one of those guys who thinks a girl's "asking for it" if she dresses a bit skimpily.

And as for "stupid bints" as you referred to them
    And she'll do this even though she can clearly see a obstacle ahead that you can't really speed up and maneuver safely but you'll need to get around. She won't tap her breaks, slow down and let you out.
    - I think you'll find it's "brakes". You might want to think on and check your spelling before you refer to someone as "stupid".

yes, yes - Bint is a no no and Brakes typo - anyway... crotch grab aside... :roll:

Do you have any advice on Moses Baskets?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    @DDD There are equal numbers of bad drivers in all age, sex and ethnicity groups. Just like there are equal number of bad drivers in each vehicle type. You ride up CS7 about 8.30, ever considered the reason you see more bad women drivers is the fact you are cycling at the same time as the school run?

I wouldn't want to single any one group out but I would tend to find the worse driving from Addison Lee taxis (probably due to them being paid extra for on time pick ups) who are mostly Black, Indian and Asian males. That being said I find myself arguing the most with middle age white men

The last really bad bit of driving was an M&S truck driver (middle age white male) last Friday night who executed a very very close pass where I had to slam on breaks to avoid rear of lorry hitting me as he pulled in, when I caught him up, I asked him if he knew how close he was to me. He said yes he knew exactly how close and he did it on purpose as my road position was wrong (it wasn't) meaning he admitted aiming his truck at me on purpose! M&S head office are being called tomorrow as I'm working from home and have his number plate.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    bails87 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    In my experience, bad male drivers are aggressive and impatient, and bad female drivers just have no idea what is going on around them.
    I agree with this.

I am not one of them however.

Would you know if you were? :wink:

Anyway, don't worry your pretty little head about that, go and pop the kettle on love.

the above is a joke!
    I would be quite happy staying at home as a "housewife" popping the kettle on for my man. As long as he knows it's my choice to do so and not what I should be doing cause I'm a woman.

Sketchley should you not also be calling the police. Even if they can't do anything, might be worth a mention to them.
  • DonDaddyD
    Sketchley wrote:
    @DDD There are equal numbers of bad drivers in all age, sex and ethnicity groups. Just like there are equal number of bad drivers in each vehicle type. You ride up CS7 about 8.30, ever considered the reason you see more bad women drivers is the fact you are cycling at the same time as the school run?

I wouldn't want to single any one group out but I would tend to find the worse driving from Addison Lee taxis (probably due to them being paid extra for on time pick ups) who are mostly Black, Indian and Asian males.

Now this started so well, poised high in the 'Heaven of Moral Righteousness' and then nosed dived into the' World According to DDD'.

I'm sorry but you can't have a go at my generalisation and then make one yourself. Irrespective of the rest of the stuff you've written all you've done is to prove that people generalise. I agree with it wholeheartedly. But still, it's too ironic to ignore.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I wouldn't want to single any one group out but I would tend to find the worse driving from Addison Lee taxis (probably due to them being paid extra for on time pick ups) who are mostly Black, Indian and Asian males.

Now this started so well, poised high in the 'Heaven of Moral Righteousness' and then nosed dived into the' World According to DDD'.

I'm sorry but you can't have a go at my generalisation and then make one yourself. Irrespective of the rest of the stuff you've written all you've done is to prove that people generalise. I agree with it wholeheartedly. But still, it's too ironic to ignore.

Ever consider I did it deliberately to make that very point?

Wooossshhhhhhh
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias with Addison Lee - they are very easy to identify and easier to remember than all the other anonymous vehicles. I found myself doing this the other day with one of the open top bus companies. Been cut up by them twice and I see them almost every day, but for some reason I have them marked as dangerous. Stupid simian brain finding patterns where there are none.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    suzyb wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    In my experience, bad male drivers are aggressive and impatient, and bad female drivers just have no idea what is going on around them.
    I agree with this.

I am not one of them however.

Would you know if you were? :wink:

Anyway, don't worry your pretty little head about that, go and pop the kettle on love.

the above is a joke!
    I would be quite happy staying at home as a "housewife" popping the kettle on for my man. As long as he knows it's my choice to do so and not what I should be doing cause I'm a woman.

Sketchley should you not also be calling the police. Even if they can't do anything, might be worth a mention to them.

Thought about it, but I'll start with M&S head office, if they promise to send the driver on some cycle awareness training it'll go a long way.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    rjsterry wrote:
    I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias with Addison Lee - they are very easy to identify and easier to remember than all the other anonymous vehicles. I found myself doing this the other day with one of the open top bus companies. Been cut up by them twice and I see them almost every day, but for some reason I have them marked as dangerous. Stupid simian brain finding patterns where there are none.

Ah Open Top bus and Big bus are marked as stay well away in my book too, doesn't help their depot is in Clapham or CS7 somewhere so you see a lot of them as I come that way...

Get your point though....
    --
    Chris

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    There must be a reasonable Freudian explanation for DDD's misogyny...
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Gurlz in "Lycra" any one :?:
  • DonDaddyD
    Sketchley wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Ever consider I did it deliberately to make that very point?

Wooossshhhhhhh

No not really. The only conclusion I can think of is that you're trying to drive home a point using an ethnically driven example.

Again I think the moral high ground you attempt to claim is lost by stooping to such an example. But that's me. I referred to a woman who drove me into a curb as a "Bint".

I've seen and said worse.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jedster
    Sketchley,
    He said yes he knew exactly how close and he did it on purpose as my road position was wrong (it wasn't) meaning he admitted aiming his truck at me on purpose!

Jaysus!!!

It's bad enough when you get this kind of nonsense from a car driver but from a truck driver? Was it a tractor trailer rig? If he meant that he needs his license taking off him. Incidently I hate it when you have to justify your road positioning - it kind of indicates that it would be reasonable to bully you with a truck IF your road positioning was wrong.... I know you dont think that but you know what I mean.

I'm hoping/guessing that it was just bravado/emotion taking over that he was guilty of a mistake rather than deliberately threatening you but.....

If he really meant it then a training course is not going to do the job, he is just psychologically unfit to drive a truck.
  • sketchley
    jedster wrote:
    Sketchley,
    He said yes he knew exactly how close and he did it on purpose as my road position was wrong (it wasn't) meaning he admitted aiming his truck at me on purpose!

Jaysus!!!

It's bad enough when you get this kind of nonsense from a car driver but from a truck driver? Was it a tractor trailer rig? If he meant that he needs his license taking off him. Incidently I hate it when you have to justify your road positioning - it kind of indicates that it would be reasonable to bully you with a truck IF your road positioning was wrong.... I know you dont think that but you know what I mean.

I'm hoping/guessing that it was just bravado/emotion taking over that he was guilty of a mistake rather than deliberately threatening you but.....

If he really meant it then a training course is not going to do the job, he is just psychologically unfit to drive a truck.

Yes big truck 16/18 wheeler. The cab passed me about 2ft out the back of the trailer about 6 inches after I hit the brakes. TBH I do think he made a mistake and tried to justify it without thinking what he was saying or to put it another way I was no where near angry enough to report to police, I think M&S head office is more effective route, although I suspect he'll deny it.
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry wrote:
    BTW, I'm pretty clumsy at home - forever bumping into stuff/knocking things over/stubbing toes - but seem to be (touch wood) relatively accident free on my bike.

But is that because you wear ladies' clothes in the comfort and privacy of your own home?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    BTW, I'm pretty clumsy at home - forever bumping into stuff/knocking things over/stubbing toes - but seem to be (touch wood) relatively accident free on my bike.

But is that because you wear ladies' clothes in the comfort and privacy of your own home?

It's been staring me in the face all this time! Thanks Greg. :shock:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jedster
    I have never seen a female grant a seat on public transport to a person who needs it more (be they pregnant, older etc....)

What I have seen lots of times though, is a guy sitting several seats behind many young healthy wimmmins....get up to offer his seat to someone who needed it more, while the wimmins in front of him didn't even blink

Funnily enough, I gave my seat on the train up to a heavily pregnant woman this morning.
    Hardly remarkable but it made me think about confirmation bias. I wasn't in the nearest seat to her and when I stood up my initial reaction was "there do seem to be an awful lot of young women sitting around here ignoring her, maybe there's something in what people were posting yesterday". So I started counting. The two nearest seats to her were filled with a woman and a man. The next two were also filled with a woman and a man (me!). Counting the next couple fo rows showed that there were an equal number of women and men.

So a couple of observations:
    1. I was being utterly ridiculous attempting to use a single incident as evidence of a general rule. This is a classic human cognitive error. I know this but I still almost fell into it. The classic example of this on these boards is when people write off a particular tyre because they had a few punctures with one...
    2. Even then, my initial view of what that single incident suggested was conditioned by what I read yesterday. There weren't more women but I was attuned to see them, perhaps because I tend to expect women to be kinder and more empathetic than men (I acknowledge the sexism) so judge them more harshly?

I think the overall problem with this thread has been less the language used but generalising about women from a few incidents. That's when understandable rants become bigotry.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    jedster wrote:
    Funnily enough, I gave my seat on the train up to a heavily pregnant woman this morning.

The last two times I've done this - they haven't been pregnant.

I swear to God.

Fat Wimmin - if you wear big coats and look a bit sweaty can you please state
    I'm not pregnant just fond of pies

when getting on PT to make it easier for us to tell
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jedster
    I reckon you were doing them an even better turn than if they were pregnant. Nothing tells a woman she needs to lose weight more clearly than someone genuinely mistaking her for being pregnant! :lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jedster wrote:
    I have never seen a female grant a seat on public transport to a person who needs it more (be they pregnant, older etc....)

What I have seen lots of times though, is a guy sitting several seats behind many young healthy wimmmins....get up to offer his seat to someone who needed it more, while the wimmins in front of him didn't even blink

Hardly remarkable but it made me think about confirmation bias. I wasn't in the nearest seat to her and when I stood up my initial reaction was "there do seem to be an awful lot of young women sitting around here ignoring her, maybe there's something in what people were posting yesterday". So I started counting. The two nearest seats to her were filled with a woman and a man. The next two were also filled with a woman and a man (me!). Counting the next couple fo rows showed that there were an equal number of women and men.

So a couple of observations:
    1. I was being utterly ridiculous attempting to use a single incident as evidence of a general rule. This is a classic human cognitive error. I know this but I still almost fell into it. The classic example of this on these boards is when people write off a particular tyre because they had a few punctures with one...
    2. Even then, my initial view of what that single incident suggested was conditioned by what I read yesterday. There weren't more women but I was attuned to see them, perhaps because I tend to expect women to be kinder and more empathetic than men (I acknowledge the sexism) so judge them more harshly?

I think the overall problem with this thread has been less the language used but generalising about women from a few incidents. That's when understandable rants become bigotry.

Stop talking sense, Jedster. Its not in the spirit of the thread...
  • jedster
    I know, I know.... it's a fair cop