Women and aggressive driving/cycling (Brain-ache-bint)

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ...or perhaps we blokes are a just all a bit guilty of this
    Bingo.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    notsoblue wrote:
    Bingo.

I've read about that, but there are lots of articles that refute the theory
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    notsoblue wrote:
    Bingo.

Bingo, definately a Women's game.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Here's the thing.

Personally I think it's because Women don't believe they have anything to lose. Two blokes involved there is a measured approach to def-con nuclear.. Women, my Mum and Mrs DDD including, just go straight for the nuclear option and loose their tempers (far quicker than men).

Why? They've never had to deal with real retaliation, they've probably always experienced men restraining themselves during bouts of road rage while they fly off the handle. They've never had to worry about a tear up in the street like you can get between two men. You see a the tear up is an option for men, for your everyday woman it's largely not a possibility.

When I was younger I saw one woman do the same thing that was done to me but she did knock the cyclist off. He got up lifted his bike up and repeatedly attempted tried to put the wheel through her window. At the time I was like "Oh how terrible, a Man doing that to a Woman". Thinking back to it, she was inconsiderate and dangerous. F*ck her, should have landed the tyre on her chin arrogant cow.

Little did she know that she was mere seconds away from you grabbing her by the vajazzle and forcing her to say sorry!

The trusted old crotch grab. Settles any argument that does - especially domestics.... :wink:

Go on Greg, next time Mrs 66 argues with you grab the crotch look her in the eye and shout quite ferociously "crotch grab!!!!"

My personal fav is "I OWN THIS!!!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    notsoblue wrote:
    Bingo.

But you just want them to say that, so that's how you read them...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    :)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Here's the thing.

Personally I think it's because Women don't believe they have anything to lose. Two blokes involved there is a measured approach to def-con nuclear.. Women, my Mum and Mrs DDD including, just go straight for the nuclear option and loose their tempers (far quicker than men).

Why? They've never had to deal with real retaliation, they've probably always experienced men restraining themselves during bouts of road rage while they fly off the handle. They've never had to worry about a tear up in the street like you can get between two men. You see a the tear up is an option for men, for your everyday woman it's largely not a possibility.

When I was younger I saw one woman do the same thing that was done to me but she did knock the cyclist off. He got up lifted his bike up and repeatedly attempted tried to put the wheel through her window. At the time I was like "Oh how terrible, a Man doing that to a Woman". Thinking back to it, she was inconsiderate and dangerous. F*ck her, should have landed the tyre on her chin arrogant cow.

Little did she know that she was mere seconds away from you grabbing her by the vajazzle and forcing her to say sorry!

The trusted old crotch grab. Settles any argument that does - especially domestics.... :wink:

Go on Greg, next time Mrs 66 argues with you grab the crotch look her in the eye and shout quite ferociously "crotch grab!!!!"

My personal fav is "I OWN THIS!!!"

But is that used by you, or on you? :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    Bingo.

:lol:
  • jedster
    BTW - Personally I haven't found women to me more aggressive drivers. The full, frank and colourful exchanges of views that I have had have tended to be with men. I reckon men have higher expectations of women and so notice it more when they resort to silly male levels of willy-waggling behind the wheel. Doesn't mean I have been on the wrong end of foolishly pushy driving by women, just dont think its been disproportionate.

I also think that the levels of stereotyping and generalisation in this thread is a bit, well, dodgy...

LiT is being lighthearted but I reckon a woman who was new to these boards might find this thread a bit dubious TBH.
  • Maybe its because they are up on bricks.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • And y'all wonder why this forum is a sausage-fest...

Do you mean it is a bit cock-heavy in here?
  • DonDaddyD
    jedster wrote:
    LiT is being lighthearted but I reckon a woman who was new to these boards might find this thread a bit dubious TBH.

You wot!?

LiT, the burd who believes and said on this ery board that "Women have less spatial awareness than men!"

Thy horse be high, perhaps thou should dismount.
    Food Chain number = 4

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    In my experience, bad male drivers are aggressive and impatient, and bad female drivers just have no idea what is going on around them.
    I agree with this.

I am not one of them however.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    suzyb wrote:
    In my experience, bad male drivers are aggressive and impatient, and bad female drivers just have no idea what is going on around them.
    I agree with this.

I am not one of them however.

Would you know if you were? :wink:

Anyway, don't worry your pretty little head about that, go and pop the kettle on love.

the above is a joke!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Lordy. Lordy. I can really feel the love on this forum topic :?

@DDD - That was a rant and a half! I feel your pain though after getting involved in similar incidents in SW London's finest on a daily basis.

I can't really comment on the cycling/driving proficiency skills of males vs females, but I can say there seems to be a very high quota of twat drivers in Tooting for some reason. I've passed through Tooting every day for a year now on my daily commute, and without fail as soon as I hit what I now refer to the Tooting Triangle (the 2 mile stretch between St. George's Hospital and Balham tube station) parked car doors open, cars sudddently cut across two lanes to turn left, cars spontaneously combust etc etc.

I seriously don't know what it is about drivers in that area but I've come the conclusion that half of them need a dry back hand slap to knock some sense into them.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • jedster
    LiT, the burd who believes and said on this ery board that "Women have less spatial awareness than men!"

Actually DDD, that has been proven experimentally - on average, men have better spatial awareness. Similarly, on average, women are better at interpretting body language, better at multi-tasking, etc. That's not to say some women don't have excellent spatial awareness and vice versa.

Don't think any such scientific evidence supports the theory that women, on average, drive more aggressively than men. Unless I've missed it. Certainly not backed up by insurance claims etc.

Hey, I know this is all banter and not meant to be taken seriously but someone coming to it fresh might find an element of stupid misogynistic bullshit
  • DonDaddyD
    jedster wrote:

Actually DDD, that has been proven experimentally - on average, men have better spatial awareness.

Well there you go then. Women make terrible drivers.

When they drive offensively it seems overly aggressive because they demonstrate a complete disregard for the World around them i.e. living life in a tunnel - "must keep going forward to get to my goal at all costs". When they drive defensively, same thing.

Rant is justified and point proven.

LOL

:lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Gentlemen, I must declare that we have failed in our role as the superior sex and bought this tirade of crazy wimmin driver types on ourselves. For years now we have held doors open, pulled out chairs and laid our over garments over puddles to protect the members of the fairer (Translates into inferior) sex. We have since granted them the right to vote and they have thrown this back in our faces by thinking they should be entitled to equal rates of pay as us! It was only a matter of time before they began seeking equality on our roads (the roads that have been built by men!). Unfortunately they can only try and achieve this by using overly aggressive tactics. Gentlemen we need to nip this in the bud! Let the fanny grabbing begin, and put them self richeous wimmin types back in their place! (The kitchen, incase you weren't sure!)
  • What I find most interesting about this thread is that if anyone else had a rant which stereotyped a section of the community, say for instance black youths, using a couple of instances of personal experience to justify the stereotype, DDD would be all over the thread like a rash condemning it with the fiercest indignation his keybaord could muster.

By the way my wife is a crap and agressive driver; just saying :D
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • DonDaddyD
    Ride hard wrote:

@DDD - That was a rant and a half! I feel your pain though after getting involved in similar incidents in SW London's finest on a daily basis.

I can't really comment on the cycling/driving proficiency skills of males vs females, but I can say there seems to be a very high quota of fool drivers in Tooting for some reason. I've passed through Tooting every day for a year now on my daily commute, and without fail as soon as I hit what I now refer to the Tooting Triangle (the 2 mile stretch between St. George's Hospital and Balham tube station) parked car doors open, cars sudddently cut across two lanes to turn left, cars spontaneously combust etc etc.

I seriously don't know what it is about drivers in that area but I've come the conclusion that half of them need a dry back hand slap to knock some sense into them.

The driving in Tooting could turn a person racist purely on the basis that it is a highly dense commercial area with a highly distinct ethnic population and somehow the driving nose divesonce you entire said 2 mile strip. Follow the crap driver out of Tooting and suddenly they demonstrate F1 levels of skill. In Tooting. F*ck me.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Barry Nice wrote:
    What I find most interesting about this thread is that if anyone else had a rant which stereotyped a section of the community, say for instance black youths, using a couple of instances of personal experience to justify the stereotype, DDD would be all over the thread like a rash condemning it with the fiercest indignation his keybaord could muster.
    I know, even if I joined in this myself, a couple of hours after being glad to see the back of a nasty racist post in the Rants section.

:oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

I can't really comment on the cycling/driving proficiency skills of males vs females, but I can say there seems to be a very high quota of fool drivers in Tooting for some reason. I've passed through Tooting every day for a year now on my daily commute, and without fail as soon as I hit what I now refer to the Tooting Triangle (the 2 mile stretch between St. George's Hospital and Balham tube station) parked car doors open, cars sudddently cut across two lanes to turn left, cars spontaneously combust etc etc.

The driving in Tooting could turn a person racist purely on the basis that it is a highly dense commercial area with a highly distinct ethnic population and somehow the driving nose divesonce you entire said 2 mile strip. Follow the crap driver out of Tooting and suddenly they demonstrate F1 levels of skill. In Tooting. F*ck me.

It was just an observation, and nothing to do with the demographic of the area! We all have different experiences when cycling, walking, driving, etc etc, and I'm just giving you mine.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2011
    Barry Nice wrote:
    What I find most interesting about this thread is that if anyone else had a rant which stereotyped a section of the community, say for instance black youths, using a couple of instances of personal experience to justify the stereotype, DDD would be all over the thread like a rash condemning it with the fiercest indignation his keybaord could muster.

By the way my wife is a crap and agressive driver; just saying :D

If there is a Bint that wants to type angry at me, go for it.

Seriously however,

My issue with the riots, as time has proven was two folded. One, a person 'antfly' I believe claimed that if the black population in the UK was reduced there would be less riots - or some such ignorant logic. Equally there were those who tried to insist upon the notion that the riots were ethnically driven. As time has proven and riots in other poor areas (Manchester for example) have proven, they weren't. I also believe trying to make the riots into a Black/White/Asian issue is counterproductive. They were about society and it's failings. They weren't about race.

If they were about race lets discuss that and to some degree lets joke that they burnt down Footlocker in Brixton - why are Black people angry about the price of trainers they wear? I always found Footlocker to damn expensive. The thing about jokes that generalise a population is they border funny and offensive when they are mostly an observational they can be funny. When they are mostly hateful - e.g. what antfly wrote - then they are offensive.

There are great women drivers and cyclist - I mean Vicky P manages to go around a velodrome without riding straight into a wall - but some just begger belief like the Woman in Morrisons (albeit not a car) who drove the trolley into my ass to get to a till despite me standing in front of her and being clearly visible.

I'm always willing to talk about ethnic issues and other hard topics.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Ride hard wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

It was just an observation, and nothing to do with the demographic of the area! We all have different experiences when cycling, walking, driving, etc etc, and I'm just giving you mine.

Whoa, I was mostly agreeing with you in a jokingly way. Driving in Tooting = bad.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jedster wrote:

Actually DDD, that has been proven experimentally - on average, men have better spatial awareness. Similarly, on average, women are better at interpretting body language, better at multi-tasking, etc. That's not to say some women don't have excellent spatial awareness and vice versa.

Don't think any such scientific evidence supports the theory that women, on average, drive more aggressively than men. Unless I've missed it. Certainly not backed up by insurance claims etc.

Hey, I know this is all banter and not meant to be taken seriously but someone coming to it fresh might find an element of stupid misogynistic bullshit

People returning to it too... Mind you, we ought to be used to it.
  • DonDaddyD
    jedster wrote:

But you both have proven my point in your own way.

You both have conceded that Woman lack spatial awareness - needed to drive a car safely - the incident I describe is one where the female driver lacked spatial awareness continued on her path and endangered me. = Terrible driving.

I don't think in the OP I encouraged hatred towards Women. Annoyance, at times, yes.

Anyway. I'm done. It's been fun. I'll put the hairshirt on now and I've got an escalator to ride up. :P
    Food Chain number = 4

• And y'all wonder why this forum is a sausage-fest...

I prefer the word

brodeo.
    A get-together or a party where the attendance is prodominantly male.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,692
    edited August 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    jedster wrote:

But you both have proven my point in your own way.

You both have conceded that Woman lack spatial awareness - needed to drive a car safely - the incident I describe is one where the female driver lacked spatial awareness continued on her path and endangered me. = Terrible driving.

I don't think in the OP I encouraged hatred towards Women. Annoyance, at times, yes.

Anyway. I'm done. It's been fun. I'll put the hairshirt on now and I've got an escalator to ride up. :P

Sorry, but BZZZZT! A study showing that there is a general tendency for men to have improved spatial awareness as compared with women is not the same as saying (all) women lack (completely?) spatial awareness. This is a general trend we're talking about. You don't encounter general trends on your commute, you encounter individual drivers whose spatial awareness (as if such a thing were easily and definitively measurable) will vary considerably from the 'average' for their gender. We all experience bad driving at times, and whether it's due to aggression or 'lack of spatial awareness' is beside the point. As others have pointed out, if you swap the word women for the word black in your post, you'd be (rightly) all over it. If one is unacceptable then so is the other.

ETA: Just the Beeb, so not full on science reporting, but illustrates the argument that driving isn't just about spatial awareness, but a number of skills.

BTW, I'm pretty clumsy at home - forever bumping into stuff/knocking things over/stubbing toes - but seem to be (touch wood) relatively accident free on my bike.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    And y'all wonder why this forum is a sausage-fest...

I prefer the word

brodeo.
    A get-together or a party where the attendance is prodominantly male.

"Fiesta de bomberos"
    (Fireman's Ball)