Vuelta Stage 9 *spoiler*

13»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gotta LOL at Kroon

http://twitter.com/#!/KarstenKroon/stat ... 0727290880

I think Wiggins treated the last 5 km like a TT. Set a very solid hard tempo which made it hard for anyone to do anything. It suited guys like Nibs / Baulke because despite it being tough at the end, it put time into J-Rod / Scarponi.

The danger for Wiggins would be lots of changes of pace, which we could still see.

Also, I think when Wiggins hit the front, Froome should've sat up and conserved himself.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Froome looks like he's going for a good overall as well - not putting all eggs in one basket...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    they gunned it on a relatively flat part of the climb. as awesome as it was i cant see him sticking with them on the steep stuff to come.

hopefully he'll go bananas tomorrow and stick a few minutes into everyone. he put 1min 30 into evans at the dauphine so don't see why he can't do that to this rabble.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    iainf72 wrote:
    The danger for Wiggins would be lots of changes of pace, which we could still see.

Yes, it's a shame he doesn't have a stronger in depth team around him - although Froome is doing a brilliant job, but adding Uran and Thomas etc. from the tour would've been even better as then Sky could keep the tempo high a lot longer to prevent those attacks.

I think Froome tried to hang in there for 2 reasons - one to try and nick one of the bonus second scoring places - turned out impossible but it might've worked, and the other to potentially give them more cover on the GC as Froome whilst not in Wiggins league will be able to take time out of some of the guys above him in the TT.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    iainf72 wrote:

Also, I think when Wiggins hit the front, Froome should've sat up and conserved himself.

Well he has got two days off now...
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • What a great afternoon: watch United stick eight past Arsenal, then watch my recording of the Vuelta to see Wiggins blasting them away.

I though Wiggins was good enough to podium in the TDF this year, so I think he's good enough to win the Vuelta. I'm not saying he will - obviously there's plenty that could go wrong - but he's capable of it. It will be very annoying if he ends up missing out because of that disaster of a team time trial at the start.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Yay, Dan Martin. Finally my PTP persistance has paid off. Awesome by Wiggins and Froome too.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Watching Chris Froome over the last few days I cannot for the life of me understand why he was over looked for the TdF in favour of another sprinter. Still, all pretty trivial now. I think it's looking good for Wiggins to be in red tomorrow but with all the climbing still to go it's hard to see him defending it.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Fantastic ride by Wiggo. Really hope he guns it in the TT tomorrrow.

Good to see Froome ride so well after promising lots for awhile. Completly forgot Lovkisk is in the at the Veulta at the moment. I expected him to be here Froome is right now.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Chuffed to bits for Dan Martin, and for Froome and Wiggins.
  • You kooks will be interested to know that Froome came second in the UK TT Nationals. But interestingly, Hutch beat him in the Commonwealth TT...and is current Brompton Champ. Wonder how well he'd do with Sky...

Anyway, it's spine-tingling to see such passionate racing.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Out all day with the kids - just seen the end of the stage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWwAWLRFmDY

Great stuff Wiggo!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It's going to be interesting to see how Froome rides the TT today. Logically he should take it easy but since Wiggins and he seem to be on a role I get the impression he might go for it today.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    inseine wrote:
    It's going to be interesting to see how Froome rides the TT today. Logically he should take it easy but since Wiggins and he seem to be on a role I get the impression he might go for it today.

I don't agree with the logic - having a 2nd rider high on GC is a good thing - as attacks will need to drop both riders, allowing either to have off periods without other teams capitalising so much.

Sky said Wiggins and Froome would be riding it hard with everyone else taking it easy.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    having a 2nd rider high on GC is a good thing

Although in practice it's never quite like that, as this years Tour showed :wink:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Out all day with the kids - just seen the end of the stage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWwAWLRFmDY

Great stuff Wiggo!

Great ride, thanks for the link.

Particularly enjoyed when the commentary broke up, and the commentator said "Christopher... ... ...iggins"

I must have missed that particular Sky signing!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,412
    Get in there Wiggins! Brilliant. Froome must have developed his lungs in kenya, good lad. Well done to Dan Martin, made great watching.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    maybe Froome was going to be the leader before wiggo was going to ride?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • inseine wrote:
    having a 2nd rider high on GC is a good thing

Although in practice it's never quite like that, as this years Tour showed :wink:

I do think sky are looking to push whenever they can get an advantage. When they hit the wind a couple of days back they moved up to try and create some gaps. It's gonna be tough for wiggo but if he can get himself a serious cushion today with froome it will put them in a good position.

Unlike the schlecks who prooved even from the classics that they seem to struggle realising how to push the advantage I think sky are more tactically astute. I still can't believe leopard trek and the schlecks really thought a minute was enough cushion going into that final TT
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    I guess we now know where Brian Smith stands on "spoilers".
    Just gave out the Plouay result.............which I was recording to see later. :x

sorry....didn't know it was available to watch in uk...
  • BrianS wrote:
    I guess we now know where Brian Smith stands on "spoilers".
    Just gave out the Plouay result.............which I was recording to see later. :x

sorry....didn't know it was available to watch in uk...

Pointy dish, at France 3, Bri.
    Never mind. Much better to inform the Eurosport masses. Big race and result.
    Amazing bit of commuting, this weekend. Colorado to Spain and then back to Colorado! :lol:
    Btw: I suppose you know we aren't getting live Angliru from your illustrious bosses?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Majot sufferface on the photos of Martin climbing.

This is a great shot near the finish.
    Getty
    1065b10acf3ae1167ef6e2340a0390c3-getty-505303718.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Just watched the last 6km or so. Martin is the man. Warrior. Then Froome. Wiggins did well last 2km or so, not as major as I thought from reading this forum and itv4.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Froome
    tumblr_lqq1ntxtSv1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Had my bike scanned for a motor at the finish today. I wish it was that easy. No shortcuts in this sport!!
    -Froome
    Contador is the Greatest