Cyclists should pay tax, insurance and be licensed

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    LOVE this comment.
    "[cyclists] are as ignorant on here as they are when on their bikes putting every other road user at risk by forcing them onto the wrong side of the road to get past the idiots on bikes.”

Haaa!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    GrahamS has the patience of a saint...
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    davis wrote:
    riding two or three abreast

Erm, two abreast is fine, isn't it?

Yup. There's no actual law against any number, but the highway code says you shouldn't ride more than 2 abreast. Even then, don't do it like a d1ck. Bit like manners codified really...

There's a deeper underlying problem in the belief held that cyclists should be in single file - this being that they also think you should be riding in 'the gutter' so they can overtake you in the same lane. This invariable doesn't leave a suitable amount of space for the cyclist.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    notsoblue wrote:
    GrahamS has the patience of a saint...

+1 and 'Justice' undoubtedly has the penis of a doormouse.

I love this sort of drivel and the cretins that crawl from under the rocks to bang furiously and frothy mouthed at their keyboards in support. Brightens my day no end.

I like the fella that has gone for the whole Dick Whittington bit and thinks that all London streets are paved with blue paint and barclays gold.

I of course will be riding in a full suit of armour from now on with my house number and postcode embossed onto the chest and backplate and will have my insurance number tattoed accross my face and other parts of my body so that even if I'm killed on the roads the driver can still register a claim against my estate to clean my blood and brain matter from their radiator grille and wheel arches.

its the least I can do as a habitual tax dodger and irresponsible lycra wearer (well you should see the bulges in all the wrong places, its enough to put the elephant man off his coconut macaroons).

:wink:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    riding two or three abreast

Erm, two abreast is fine, isn't it?

Rule 66 - "You should .... never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069837
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Email sent to author:

You might want to rethink your rather misinformed article on cycling:
    There hasn't been any such thing as road tax since 1937. Vehicle Excise Duty is a general tax; it doesn't go to upkeep of roads
    The Monsal Trail is a CYCLING trail.
    There have been cycle lanes in Germany for decades
    Riding two or three abreast is not against the highway code
    I honestly can't say in 14 years of cycle commuting I've EVER seen anyone wearing elbow and knee pads above the age of about five. That's rollerbladers you're thinking of.

Or are you just so desperate for clickthrough revenue that you'll sell your soul for sub-Top Gear nonsense?

Andrew Wood

Her email address is in the public domain, as with most journos.
    (Insured cyclist, driver, motorcyclist and higher-rate tax payer, thanks)
  • Or are you just so desperate for clickthrough revenue that you'll buy yourself some soles with sub-Top Gear nonsense?

This is probably closer to the truth :wink:

I suppose, on reflection, that the most noticeable thing about these sporadic outbursts is that the reality of driving, with its over-congested roads and pig-headed driving, is so completely divorced from the dream that some drivers need to find scapegoats. Not only do cyclists reduce congestion but they also get the blame for slowing drivers down.
  • I love/hate the 'Road Tax' arguement. Yes it's VED, yes I already pay it, albeit for my unused car because I cycled passed it on my way to work when it was parked outside my house.

But currently VED is based on CO2 and therefore a bicycle would be free, you just have to juggle the paperwork. But the paperwork/manpower costs £30 a tax disc and this would be bourn on non-tax exempt vehicles: Like cars.

So, how does that help?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • The problem is roads are set up for motoriside transport and should be funded as such. If the government made a seperate cycle lanes across the UK, then Id be all for some low tax like mopeds.

She talks about cyclists need to learn the highway code, well there are pleanty of muppets in cars that need to take a retest and get down specsavers.

I think She should get off her F** lazy ass and get out on a bike for a week and her narrowminded opinon would change.