iain1775
iain1775 Posts: 98
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Zena- ... l#comments

"Interesting" article and a lively debate :roll:

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Her penultimate sentence might be right - if you are going down this route with cyclists, you need to do it for pedestrians as well. A couple of weeks back I was knocked off my bike by a pedestrian who ran across the road without looking rather than walk 30 feet to a pelican crossing. If only he'd had 3rd party insurance and a licence. I could have got him a 6 month walking ban! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Typical local paper professional troll. :roll:

But, given the tone of the closing lines, is it satire.......? :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • There is an assumption that because cyclists come off worst in accidents, then a car driver must be to blame. But like anything to do with the road, people should not be allowed on it until they have demonstrated a level of competency.

There is also an assumption that because facts come off worst in off-the-shelf road tax articles, then a journalist must be to blame. And, like anything to do with the press, people should not be allowed on it until they have demonstrated a level of competency
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    A cretinous article written by an utter failure of a human being.

Not worth giving much credit to the "arguments" raised.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    She's doing a Daily Mail style troll for her paper.

"Think of all the advertising revenue the site will generate from outraged cyclists!"
  • notsoblue wrote:
    She's doing a Daily Mail style troll for her paper.

"Think of all the advertising revenue the site will generate from outraged cyclists!"

I must admit that when I read Derby Mail, I did see the words Daily Mail.
  • It's a bit like being a walker on the Monsal Trail, you are constantly looking for bikes bearing down on you like maniacs from behind as you attempt to have a casual stroll. Who pays if they run into you and cause serious damage?

Quick google finds this

http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/ ... ltrail.php
    The Monsal Trail is Derbyshire Peak District cycle trail which follows the path of the former Midland Railway from Wye Dale to a point beyond Bakewell, mostly following the River Wye.

Some F**king reporter this stupid cow is.

Why don't we have a tax on people with no common sense, as they are so stupid they are a liabily to the rest of us.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The Monsal Trail is a bridleway - not just a cycle trail, but the rank stupidity shown by that reporter (not journalist) is not lessened.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm always surprised (:roll:) at the concern the aggressive anti-cycling commentators have with the amount of safety kit cyclists wear.
    I think that many sensible and responsible cyclists, the kind that bother to wear safety helmets and protective knee and elbow pads, would happily pay their annual road fund licence and insurance.

BTW: Who on earth wears protective knee pads?
  • notsoblue
    Danny MacAskill?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    ]BTW: Who on earth wears protective knee pads?

Downhill MTBers?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    Danny MacAskill?

Oh really?

danny_macaskill_bikeexpo_munich_2009_ts_0093-474x600.jpg

He's definitely the kinda guy that quote is referring to.
    p4pb4316553.jpg

Look at that guy there at the back, cowering behind a pole, frightened by the evil cyclist.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I do at trail centres, but then I tend to be in the air quite regularly, over sharp, pointy rocks.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I used to wear protective elbow pads and knee pads and then pretend to be he-man. I was 15 of course...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    edited August 2011
    Asprilla wrote:
    ]BTW: Who on earth wears protective knee pads?

Downhill MTBers?

So if we all wear pads and pay a little insurance we're responsible cyclist and can ride around the streets like this:-

http://jasonotc.com/2011/04/17/crazy-po ... y-streets/

Where do I pay my premium? :-)
  • riding two or three abreast

Erm, two abreast is fine, isn't it?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Look at that guy there at the back, cowering behind a pole, frightened by the evil cyclist.

I'd be scared too. There's 5 of 'em FFS!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I posted, but then it is my local paper and I do have an account on there already.....

(I have been contacted before by the paper for follow up questions in the past, I don't think I will be this time :lol: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    riding two or three abreast

Yup. There's no actual law against any number, but the highway code says you shouldn't ride more than 2 abreast. Even then, don't do it like a d1ck. Bit like manners codified really...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    Danny MacAskill?

Oh really?

Yup, looks like he's wearing some under his jeans to me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVq ... age#t=253s
  • notsoblue
    davis wrote:
    riding two or three abreast

Yup. There's no actual law against any number, but the highway code says you shouldn't ride more than 2 abreast. Even then, don't do it like a d1ck. Bit like manners codified really...

Its pretty shocking how much abuse you get on the road from motorists if you ride two abreast. Even on quiet wide roads. Pisses me off no end. Everyone seems to think this is illegal.
  • rick_chasey
    I fear that my powerful (*ahem*) point on the unusual attention road drivers pay to the safety equipment of cyclists has been overshadowed by a tongue in cheek dig at MTBs.

*sigh*
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I used to wear protective elbow pads and knee pads and then pretend to be he-man. I was 15 of course...
    Last year then?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I think the article has done it's job superbly. It has attracted an unusually high amount of internet traffic to this small local paper. This is typical of the type of article that you find on the internet. I haven't checked but I would be massively suprised if this was published in the paper itself as the editor would have the sense to realise that it would damage the reputation of the paper. The editor is however more than happy to let the reported damage their reputation to increase hits to their website.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Danny MacAskill?

Oh really?

Yup, looks like he's wearing some under his jeans to me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVq ... age#t=253s

Hang on, hang on, hang on.

Are you saying I'm doing it wrong by wearing knee, elbow and nose pads on the commute?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I am a taxed, licenced and insured road user. Aren't all of you?
  • notsoblue
    I fear that my powerful (*ahem*) point on the unusual attention road drivers pay to the safety equipment of cyclists has been overshadowed by a tongue in cheek dig at MTBs.

*sigh*

:D
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Haha - she crossed a solid white line without wondering or looking about as to what it might be for? Mr T. would pull her up for that.

I would like to see some official cycle training nation wide. I did my cycling proficiency as a child at school and I would take further training for cycling in city centres etc if it was available.

Insurance for insurance sake is rediculous - if I do have an accident that's my fault and if I scrape a parked car, I will have to pay for the damage. Not having insurance doesn't mean you are not liable (I do have CTC in case it happens to be a Bentley). The only way that would work is if everyone had to have "personal" insurance in case of any fault of their - it actually might stop people acting like idiots as each time they punch someone their insurance premium would go up. It is of course a stupid idea though and simply goes back to people not willing to take responsibility for their own actions anymore, palm of the responsibility onto McDonalds for being fat, the insurance companies for being stupid on a bike, and the government for smashing up a shop window and looting stuff.

Devoluiton - we are supporting and encouraging people to be fat and lazy and walk round in a daze because nothing is their fault anymore.
  • iain1775
    iain1775 Posts: 98
    As far as I'm aware it was published in the paper, it's a reprint expanding on a comment online on a different story last week, I don't think the author is a journalist, it's a contribution from a member of the public in the cycle demonstration city that is wonderful derby!
  • rick_chasey
    I myself am always very concerned that the drivers who take up all the space in traffic jams, slowing me down, are wearing their seatbelts, in case I cycle into th...oh...

:roll: If I was in a serious mood I'd say something about the driver obsession with helmets etc demonstrates the #1 reason why drivers get angry with cyclists - that they're fearful that if they do get knocked off, their fault (for jumping the lights?) or otherwise, it'll be serious and the drivers' fault.

But I'm feeling mischievous. So it's probably a weird top gear fetish, that goes along with sh!t shirts and men behaving like school children.