Canyon Buying Experience so far.......

NGMTB
NGMTB Posts: 44
edited September 2011 in MTB general
After weeks of looking into what bike to treat myself to I decided to order a Canyon Nerve XC 6.0.

what a amazing spec for the money and all the reviews are positive. It struck me that if Canyon can offer bikes at these prices other manufactures are a touch greedy!!!

anyway I write this as a review into their sales method and hope it helps others.

I ordered my bike whilst they had a promotion and it was £90 cheaper, the only downside was I would have to wait 7 weeks(wk34), well worth the wait I hope.
I kept on looking on the website to admire my new purchase and noticed that the price kept on dropping, at one point it was £40 less than the price I ordered at and this was 2 weeks after my order, Canyon Uk stated it was due to the exchange rates and i could have it cheaper if i canceled my order and reorder waiting an extra 4 weeks, not a chance, I want the bike asap. And fair enough as I would not complain if the price went up.

I did get very annoyed though when one day the bike was still £40 less than my price and offered a delivery 2 weeks ahead of mine, I phoned them to ask and was told that sometimes big orders are cancelled and this affects delivery slots, anyway I still had to wait till wk34, they did reduce the price by £20 for me which was a nice gesture. Thank you.

the other point I would like to note is regarding the frame size, I used their frame sizing tool on their website, tape measure and spirit level etc, the reccomended size for me is a medium.
a couple of weeks later I noticed on the bottom of my invoice that they reccomend a large, another phone call to find out what this means....this is the advice of the guy at the UK office, so I decided to leave my order as a medium as the large would be 2 weeks later. lets hope it fits me.

well its now wk34, I am checking my emails all the time for confirmation that the bike is on its way,(nothing at the time of writing this). thay have mabe contact with barclaycard as my account has a transaction pending for the right amount???

Looks very doubtfull that I will be out on the bike this bank holiday, but I am getting a great deal on this bike, just wish it was here.....

my overall opinion so far is slightly dissapointed and frusttrated which should all evaporate when the doorbell rings....
Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2

Comments

• I'm in a very similar position to you. I also ordered during the TDF when it was about £90 cheaper. Haven't noticed it go lower than that and its now over £100 more expensive than when I ordered.

When I ordered I was also told WK 34 (this week) so I have been checking my emails about once every 5 minutes and was considering dropping them an email as I hadn't heard anything this morning. However, at lunchtime I received an email saying it was being prepared for despatch followed by a confirmation about 30 mins later to say it was on its way!

I'm now (rather optimistically) hoping that it may arrive before the bank holiday, but I'm preparing myself for the fact that it probably wont get here by then :cry:

Hope you also hear something soon - I can't wait now!
  • You've only just got your despatch email? Oh poor sweet innocent you. The days when it is in transit are the worst, watching it move from place to place, stopping for what seems like a lifetime before it moves to somewhere 8 miles down the road only to wait there for another lifetime.

OK, I'm exaggerating slightly, but honestly, it will be worth the wait when you get on it, realise you've got yourself an absolute bargain and enjoy riding it for months on end.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • Just checked again and its still sat in Germany. No delivery date yet. I think I may develop OCD by the end of the week :twisted:
  • NGMTB
    good luck with getting it by the weekend, I guess Canyon must have hundreds of customers like us checking their emails all the time.
    what size did you order and what date? it would be interesting to compare?
    Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2
  • Thias is very weird as i am in exactly the same situation. Ordered mine on 10th july and was told week 34 also but not heard a peep. Anyone know how long it actually takes to tavel from germany?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only took about a month to invade Poland.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NGMTB
    I ordered mine on the 7th July, the way the weather is going there will be no summer left to enjoy evening rides....

the web site says it takes 7 to 10 days but I have read it takes about 3 days to be delivered...
    Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2
  • Have your bikes arrived, if so what do you think of them.
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • My mate ordered a yellowstone HT on 12th August. Had a tracking number yesterday and arrived at local distribution depot 5am
    This morning. They stated 2 weeks delivery. So far sales and comms seem fine!

Dan
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Ordered a AM 5.0 on the 11th August. Given a delivery date of Week 37. Apart from an order ackowledgement haven't heard a thing from them.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    In all fairness the delays on deliveries for the nerves are well documented.
  • NGMTB
    Received an email at 1030 this morning telling me it will be dispatched within 48 hrs, I will get another email with a tracking numberwhen it's dispatched, so as yet it is not even on it's way.
    Have to find something else to do this weekend then.....
    Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    I made a order on week 22.
    There web site reported delivey to be on week 24.
    The order confurmation said week 27.

I belived i would get my bike on week 27.

It left them on the wednesday of week 28.
    I got it firday of week 28 at 5pm.

In my eyes it was over a week late
  • Ordered mine on 19th July and it said week 34 delivery (this week). Currently the UPS website says it has arrived in the UK so will hopefully be here before the weekend! I ordered an XL frame for those wanting to compare notes! Hope you get yours too OP!
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Ordered mine on 19th July and it said week 34 delivery (this week). Currently the UPS website says it has arrived in the UK so will hopefully be here before the weekend! I ordered an XL frame for those wanting to compare notes! Hope you get yours too OP!

What have you ordered?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • I went for the XC 6.0 (size XL) as it had a few quid off and was only slightly more than the 5.0.

The current status on the UPS website is "Destination Scan" at my local depot, so i'm not sure if it is out for delivery today or not? Either way I should get it for tomorrow at the latest! If only I didn't have to work on Saturday :evil:
  • NGMTB - did you receive confirmation from Canyon with the UPS tracking details? I hope you get yours before the weekend! As a guide, I received my confirmation on Tuesday and I've just had an email to say its been delivered :D
  • NGMTB
    No email about a tracking number yet, just the one yesterday telling me to expect the email in 48 hrs, if Ive heard nowt hy 1030 tomorow I guess I will be on the phone to Cullen at canyon uk.
    Must admit to getting peed off now....
    Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2
  • Why is everyone else getting confirmation emails and tracking numbers?!! I've not heard a peep from Canyon yet. :(
  • poppit
    NGMTB wrote:
    No email about a tracking number yet, just the one yesterday telling me to expect the email in 48 hrs, if Ive heard nowt hy 1030 tomorow I guess I will be on the phone to Cullen at canyon uk.
    Must admit to getting peed off now....

Why get peed off, just have a bit of patience, it's no good getting stressed about it, even if it's a week late it's not the end of the world.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Well, I can't fault Canyon on the comms, I know others are frustrated at the moment but they delivered exactly when they said they would.

I have to say I'm a little frustrated though. I very carefully unpacked everything and followed the instructions just in case I missed anything in my excitement, but I came across a problem when trying to install the handlebars. The torque wrench supplied looks like a 4mm allen key with an orange guage attached, but the bolts on the stem are 5mm?

I assume they have put the wrong tool in the box, but I really wanted to take it for a spin around the block to check the sizing etc so I have used a normal allen key for now to tighten the bolts up. I know it's important to get the torque setting right, but would this be ok for a gentle pootle around the block? Too late now but thought I would ask the opinion of the experts!

Hopefully someone in my local club has a torque wrench I can borrow so I can go for a proper test ride at the weekend!

One other slight niggle was the gear cable wasn't seated properly where it enters the lever - the housing had been pinched and the cable inside was exposed. Easy enough to pop out and back in, but was kind of expecting 100% from the German QC!

1st impressions of the bike overall are excellent! It's massive compared to my old bike, but that was a bit small for me and its partly why I went for the XL. Can't wait to get out and ride now...
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    If you got the same torque wrench as I did, there should be a little adapter to fit 5mm bolts in the handle of the tool. You won't have done any harm though.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Canyon were great with me...

I emailed to see if they'd had my bank transfer, they replied same day to say no.... 2 days later I got confirmation.

I got an email advising my tracking number would be sent to me in 48 hrs, 3 days later I phoned up as i'd had nothing and was informed that the email had been sent too early as the fork and shock were being tuned for me (optitune) and the brakes were being changed to euro.

A day later I had my tracking number

3 days later I had the bike.

lankystreakofpee
    I also had the same issue with the torque wrench... bloody stupid!

Shackster
    Saaaayyyy waaaaaaaaa? *runs off and checks tool*......... :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Must have fitted hundreds of sundry bits over the years without a torque wrench. Don't worry too much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poppit
    Like the guy said, there's an adapter in the handle of the torque wrench, you just pop it out, fit it to the end of the wrench and use it as per normal.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Ahhh.... now I feel stupid! :oops:

As I said, I tried to take my time and keep a lid on the 'kid at christmas' feeling. I even carefully went through all the bags twice looking for an adaptor to go on the torque wrench!

Thanks for your input guys, this forum is fantastic (even if I do feel like a proper numpty now!)
  • Say WHAAAAAAT??!?!? Oh man. I got mine months ago...and I discarded the torque wrench as it was the wrong size. Stupid, stupid boy.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    Have to admit that i never spotted the adapter in the torque wrench either, i just spotted it was the wrong size, threw it on the shelf and picked up my normal torque wrench box ;)
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • NGMTB
    Well. No news from canyon on my delivery for this week, let's hope it's no more than a week late.......
    Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2
  • JEZ 8553
    JEZ 8553 Posts: 42
    My Nerve AM was delayed by 2 weeks but I never received the email, after enquiring with Callum he replied with a very professional letter of apology for me not being informed.

The bike was dispatched by Canyon on the new revised date...took 1 afternoon to get all the way from South Germany to the UK...where it then sat for 2 days meaning I didn't get to use it for the weekend I went to Surrey hills. Typical UK courier incompetence !

Still, as soon as i got to use the bike any niggles i had were blown away by the quality of the bike :D
    Boardman Pro Carbon HT 2011
    Boardman Team Hybrid 2010
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 2012